What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 RM Cup & Sydney Shield

Broncos93

Juniors
Some drama from the Glebe vs Hills game on the weekend.

Apparently the clock was stopped at Shark Park after Glebe took the lead late on but wasn't restarted.

Hills then apparently scored their winning try well after what should have been full time.

Glebe have lodged a protest with NSWRL.

Tigers1986

Juniors
So any updates on the Mojo Homes Illawarra Cup? The initially released draw must be incorrect as it lists April 10 as the first round, yet the article states May 1st. None of the clubs involves have any information regarding the competition.

Anyone at LU have an idea?

rightleftin

Juniors
So any updates on the Mojo Homes Illawarra Cup? The initially released draw must be incorrect as it lists April 10 as the first round, yet the article states May 1st. None of the clubs involves have any information regarding the competition.

Anyone at LU have an idea?

There is a "1st Division" competition listed for Illawarra in Play Rugby League is the reserve grade comp just as the Newcastle 2nd grade is in that webiste, Whereas the NSWRL major competitions for Northern, currently appears in the NSWRL draws, so we should expect the same for the Southern Conference whenever it starts.

While the 1st Division teams are playing at 1.30pm, Thirroul is playing Dapto at 3pm in Presidents Cup. If this not a trial, NSWRL is yet to post draw.

Last edited:

Butts74

Juniors
Some drama from the Glebe vs Hills game on the weekend.

Apparently the clock was stopped at Shark Park after Glebe took the lead late on but wasn't restarted.

Hills then apparently scored their winning try well after what should have been full time.

Glebe have lodged a protest with NSWRL.
So what will happen with the result then ? Will it be switched around ? Or a draw ?

Tigers1986

Juniors
There is a "1st Division" competition listed for Illawarra in Play Rugby League is the reserve grade comp just as the Newcastle 2nd grade is in that webiste, Whereas the NSWRL major competitions for Northern, currently appears in the NSWRL draws, so we should expect the same for the Southern Conference whenever it starts.

While the 1st Division teams are playing at 1.30pm, Thirroul is playing Dapto at 3pm in Presidents Cup. If this not a trial, NSWRL is yet to post draw.

It must be a trial because nothing is featured on the NSWRL site about the conference (and Newcastle was launched just before their round 1).

Once again the NSWRL leaving a lot to be desired with their website management.

Broncos93

Juniors
So what will happen with the result then ? Will it be switched around ? Or a draw ?

As I understand it the issue for Glebe is that it was their home game so technically they're responsible for their own timekeeping.

They're claiming it was out of their hands because the clock was being run by a Cronulla Sharks employee somewhere up in the stadium, not on the sideline.

I doubt anything will happen, but interesting to note that Glebe probably should have beaten Hills on the day.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Adding to the saga, they've featured an article regarding the Illawarra Cup and indicate it starts this weekend, but nothing is found on the NSWRL portion of the draw. It's going to be on that woeful play league site isn;t it

rightleftin

Juniors
Glebe didnt have to worry about the clock thus week as the Fijians scored first and led for the entire game. They defended well, and unlike the first 2 games, threw the ball around and took advantage of many of the frequent Glebe errors. Glebe had Rudolph, Tuha, Illett and Coughlan, who had all played NSW Cup the previous week, but were no match for the Fijians.

Blacktown exposed Wenty as pretenders. Wenty very pleased with wins over cellar dwellers Wests and Cabra but they are no match for the top sides. Mounties result against Cabra looks unimpressive. When I looked at the NSWRL ladder yesterday, Cabra are unfotunate to be running 12th in an 11 team comp, behind Glebe who apparently both 10th and 11th.

Hills made it 4 out 4 with a big win against the Ryde Eastwood club, which has failed to supplement the players who had success in SS, with a core of experienced players. Hills added to their squad with the transfer of Zach Nicholls from Belrose during the week. Belrose replaced Nicholls with former Australian 7's rep Willie Bishop.

St Marys are so much quicker than their opposition in both grades. With Mckendry breaking down last week, St Marys demonstrated their depth by bringing in Antonio Pelesasa for his first game for 2021.

Brothers are the surprise packets in SS. 4 wins in 4 starts is more wins than 2018 and 2019 combined. Jake Foster has packed his side with veterans - Daniel Penese, Vaipuna Tia Kilifi, Daniel Arona, the Willie Bros and Rod Peake.

Last edited:

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Anyone know of any clubs that are looking to bolster their ranks. I know a couple of players that are returning from injury looking for somewhere

Joker44

Juniors
Glebe didnt have to worry about the clock thus week as the Fijians scored first and led for the entire game. They defended well, and unlike the first 2 games, threw the ball around and took advantage of many of the frequent Glebe errors. Glebe had Rudolph, Tuha, Illett and Coughlan, who had all played NSW Cup the previous week, but were no match for the Fijians.

Blacktown exposed Wenty as pretenders. Wenty very pleased with wins over cellar dwellers Wests and Cabra but they are no match for the top sides. Mounties result against Cabra looks unimpressive. When I looked at the NSWRL ladder yesterday, Cabra are unfotunate to be running 12th in an 11 team comp, behind Glebe who apparently both 10th and 11th.

Hills made it 4 out 4 with a big win against the Ryde Eastwood club, which has failed to supplement the players who had success in SS, with a core of experienced players. Hills added to their squad with the transfer of Zach Nicholls from Belrose during the week. Belrose replaced Nicholls with former Australian 7's rep Willie Bishop.

St Marys are so much quicker than their opposition in both grades. With Mckendry breaking down last week, St Marys demonstrated their depth by bringing in Antonio Pelesasa for his first game for 2021.

Brothers are the surprise packets in SS. 4 wins in 4 starts is more wins than 2018 and 2019 combined. Jake Foster has packed his side with veterans - Daniel Penese, Vaipuna Tia Kilifi, Daniel Arona, the Willie Bros and Rod Peake.

Any idea why Nicholls left Belrose? Willie Bishop would be late 30's now?

rightleftin

Juniors

In relation to Nicholls, This week Anthony Layoun, who has played 5/8 for Hills this year, appears on the St Marys list, so maybe Hills went after Nicholls as a replacement and there are a few others at Hills that started 2020 with Nicholls at Asquith.

Willie Bishop was player of the year in the Auckland RL in 2002, and the press release says that he was 20 when the Roosters signed him a few months later, so at least 38.

Butts74

Juniors
In relation to Nicholls, This week Anthony Layoun, who has played 5/8 for Hills this year, appears on the St Marys list, so maybe Hills went after Nicholls as a replacement and there are a few others at Hills that started 2020 with Nicholls at Asquith.

Willie Bishop was player of the year in the Auckland RL in 2002, and the press release says that he was 20 when the Roosters signed him a few months later, so at least 38.
Reason why Anthony layoun left hills was he wasn’t getting a start there because of the north’s boys coming back down from cup. There’s a few boys there that aren’t getting a decent amount of games.

Broncos93

Juniors
I've been told both the NSW Cup and Ron Massey Cups will have a top five finals format this season. I assume that will go for Sydney Shield as well.

Has anyone heard anything from NSWRL?

rightleftin

Juniors
I've been told both the NSW Cup and Ron Massey Cups will have a top five finals format this season. I assume that will go for Sydney Shield as well.

Has anyone heard anything from NSWRL?

I knew the final series was 3 weeks to fit in Presidents Cup playoffs and traditional top 5 takes 4 weeks, so I had a look at the operations manual and it confirms that it is top 6 of 11 in RMC, top 5 of 10 in Northern Conference and top 4 of 5 in Southern Conference. The Manual does not detail finals format.

Last edited:

Tigers1986

Juniors
In regards to format, they're using the format of top 6 for Matts, Ball and Tarsha Gale.

3 v 6, 4 v 5. Winners of each go through against 1 and 2. All games are elimination.

LU used to do graphic maps of this but I haven't seen one yet.

I'm guessing he has been signed to cover North Sydney's halves and hookers as the Roosters are dropping like flies. Don't be surprised if Jesse Marshke makes his NRL debut this weekend.

That will be two players who played Massey round 1 will have played NRL by Round 6

imgunawin72

Juniors
How many will st marys beat Windsor by this week end?
I reckon they’ll put 60 points on them in SS looking at the team Windsor is going to run out. Apparently Yates has recruited 3 new blokes for SS who haven’t done a preseason, pretty sure that will backfire. and I would think the other blokes already in the squad would be really pissed off.