What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Squad: Gains, Losses & Re-signings.

hewi

Bench
Great coach?... jury still not decided on that yet, but speaks well and appears to be liked but if you listen to the media he is the new messiah!...but that is not surprising as they so want the GC to work
Seem to remember people like Henry and Cartwright geting them to the semis in the past

Destination club!..sort of agree, but it is not all about rugby league ;)

Great recruitment?..agree and they opened the cheque book, but they have been down that road before
They may be starting to improve under new coaching but for me have marked weaknessess in the backs and as commentators talk about with the exception of AJ..their spine still worries me to be a real threat

Having waffled on..they are better than us ATM

I think I can safely say they will finish well above us.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Great coach?... jury still not decided on that yet, but speaks well and appears to be liked but if you listen to the media he is the new messiah!...but that is not surprising as they so want the GC to work
Seem to remember people like Henry and Cartwright geting them to the semis in the past

Destination club!..sort of agree, but it is not all about rugby league ;)

Great recruitment?..agree and they opened the cheque book, but they have been down that road before
They may be starting to improve under new coaching but for me have marked weaknessess in the backs and as commentators talk about with the exception of AJ..their spine still worries me to be a real threat

Having waffled on..they are better than us ATM
Agree, media jump the gun and throw out halos to anything new. Wasn’t that long ago they were broke, yet still given a leg up by the league in helping them out to recruit Hayne. Potential for decades Giants, Seagulls, Titans without ever delivering. Hope they do but not their yet for mine.

Juniors
Props usually take some years to develop. This is his first real year under a decent coaching staff. While ever he is happy and the club is willing, I'd say keep him.
Yep I agree with you about the age thing but to be honest he is 22 in december and if he was going to develop into something special he would of shown it by now or at least be on the bench. I think with the old rules maybe but the new speed doesnt help him at all.

Dragon David

First Grade
Agree, media jump the gun and throw out halos to anything new. Wasn’t that long ago they were broke, yet still given a leg up by the league in helping them out to recruit Hayne. Potential for decades Giants, Seagulls, Titans without ever delivering. Hope they do but not their yet for mine.
They were beaten by the Warriors who were beaten by the Knights. They beat the Broncs who will be fighting it out again for the wooden spoon so not much to write home about and the season is long with many ups and downs for all clubs this year. They have a reasonable draw for the next couple of games including the Cowboys next week. Their signings/retentions have been good so they have potential to be fighting it out for a top 8 position but not top 4.

I'd like to see how they go against the top 4 teams before passing any further judgement.

Dragon David

First Grade
Our newest recruit had a good game against us, and looks to be a real solid signing.

14 runs 125 metres
45 PCM
2 tackle breaks
100% TE
21 tackles (zero missed)
0 errors

Only played 35 minutes and his play the ball speed needs to improve, but otherwise solid in a losing team.
Would be interesting to see how he goes in the remaining games this year. He looks like he is a hard worker and toils away. He will be a good addition to our squad.

Dragon David

First Grade
In terms of losses as per the name of this thread, just a real shame that we didn't keep Brett Morris as a lot of us have already mentioned several times on this Forum. He keeps scoring tries and sets them up as per today against the Tigers. We also went hard for Luke Keary but Uncle Nick used his "charm" to get him to sign for the Roosters. He also played beautifully today and he must have done it for his new born son his wife had this week.

The problem though is that Mary was our coach and they would have played Dragons footy not Roosters footy.

j0nesy

Bench
So far:

Gains: Francis Molo (NQ 3 years)

Losses: Cameron McInnes (Sharks)

Re-signed: Cody Ramsey (2 Years)

OFF CONTRACT 2021
Eddie Blacker, Billy Brittain, Jack de Belin, Matthew Dufty, Kaide Ellis, Tyrell Fuimaono, Hayden Lomax, Trent Merrin, Corey Norman, Jordan Pereira, Brayden Wiliame

I wouldn’t re-sign Williame, Ellis, Lomax or Norman. I wouldn’t re-sign JDB if his court case is still running or he’s going guilty.

FlameThrower

Bench
In terms of losses as per the name of this thread, just a real shame that we didn't keep Brett Morris as a lot of us have already mentioned several times on this Forum. He keeps scoring tries and sets them up as per today against the Tigers. We also went hard for Luke Keary but Uncle Nick used his "charm" to get him to sign for the Roosters. He also played beautifully today and he must have done it for his new born son his wife had this week.

The problem though is that Mary was our coach and they would have played Dragons footy not Roosters footy.
The Morris fiasco was not all the Clubs fault, he wanted to play with his brother. So we could not make that happen. He also was rather injury prone at the time if I recall. In relation to Keary - I recall at that time he was dropped to reserves at Souths and could not even get a start in FG. That’s when we were chasing him. He has developed into a top grade playmaker , makes a difference when you move to Club focused on success and professional. The Morris ship has well and truly sailed off...so no point churning that old chestnut...

Dragon David

First Grade
The Morris fiasco was not all the Clubs fault, he wanted to play with his brother. So we could not make that happen. He also was rather injury prone at the time if I recall. In relation to Keary - I recall at that time he was dropped to reserves at Souths and could not even get a start in FG. That’s when we were chasing him. He has developed into a top grade playmaker , makes a difference when you move to Club focused on success and professional. The Morris ship has well and truly sailed off...so no point churning that old chestnut...
Yes you are right Flame Thrower with all of what you have said.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Fair call FlameThrower with some of these points, but if i remember correctly Keary had established himself as a top line playmaker, but had a falling out with the bosses. It was puzzling at the time how he kept getting left out of first grade when they continually had very little variety in attack and had previously demonstrated his ability when they won the comp. Would have loved for Saints to grab him but as you have alluded to we may not have utilised his obvious talents.

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Doing a stock-take of our forwards moving into next year we come up with:

Signed 2022+ (Props)
Lawrie - 'till the end 22
Alvaro - 'till the end 22
Vaughan - 'till the end 22
Faama - 'till the end of 22
Maguire - 'till the end 22
Molo - 'till the end 24

Off-contract 2021(Props)
Ellis
Merrin
DeBelin***(pending)

Signed 2022+ (Edge Forwards)
Burns - 'till the end 22
Ford - 'till the end of 22
Sims - 'till the end 22
Kerr - 'till the end 23

Off-contract 2021 (Edge forwards)
-
Signed 2022+ (Lock)
-

Off-contract 2021 (Lock)
Fuimaono
H. Lomax - (Current DS)

We have a lot of our engine room coming off-contract next year, both in the middle and on the edge. Some big decisions coming up for Hook, especially if he wins an extention to his contract, as a few would be looking at securing their final contract given their age.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Doing a stock-take of our forwards moving into next year we come up with:

Signed 2022+ (Props)
Lawrie - 'till the end 22
Alvaro - 'till the end 22
Vaughan - 'till the end 22
Faama - 'till the end of 22
Maguire - 'till the end 22
Molo - 'till the end 24

Off-contract 2021(Props)
Ellis
Merrin
DeBelin***(pending)

Signed 2022+ (Edge Forwards)
Burns - 'till the end 22
Ford - 'till the end of 22
Sims - 'till the end 22
Kerr - 'till the end 23

Off-contract 2021 (Edge forwards)
-
Signed 2022+ (Lock)
-

Off-contract 2021 (Lock)
Fuimaono
H. Lomax - (Current DS)

We have a lot of our engine room coming off-contract next year, both in the middle and on the edge. Some big decisions coming up for Hook, especially if he wins an extention to his contract, as a few would be looking at securing their final contract given their age.
good position.. nice tension