What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 6 vs Raiders - Team List Tuesday - The Papalii Papali'i Cup

Bandwagon

Staff member
I reckon you're right.

I do think we are quite skilful, but our biggest issue is we lack composure - and that usually comes from experience.

Experience is a word bandied about too much without meaning when it comes to composure.

Composure is about belief in your systems and you and your team mates ability to do their job. Belief comes from experience of that being the case, when your experience is of it falling apart, you get doubt, doubt overcomes belief, and you lose composure.

That's why success breeds success. And failure breeds failure

And that's a hard slog because to get to that point, you have to have success in spite of failure.

I reckon that's where we are right now, in the hard slog, and I think we are getting there.

We are just a dumb football team. We let go of the dumbest merkin in Evans and signed a dumber one in Cartwright. Lane is a dumb footballer. Fergo is a dumb footballer. SIvo isn't smart. I don't think Waqa Blake is a smart footballer either. Even our organisers (who are our smartest footballers) Moses and Gutho are prone to being eratic at times. I'm not sure you can coach the dumb out of players. But you sure can stop recruiting them.
Well yeah. That is our problem. Some of those you mentioned though wouldn't be a problem if there were enough brains/composure elsewhere. But even that which doesn't make highlight reels costs money.

I disagree on the whole "soft " thing.

Sure, we have been in the not too distant past, but we are a f**k ton more resilient than we were. Soft merkins drop their heads things go south, we don't, we f**king man up and have a go.

i thought the same until last sunday we used to be patient and tenacious but as soon as the dragons got in our face out came the miracle balls, the dumb plays, the panicked catch up footy it was like going back in time ten years

Bandwagon

Staff member
i thought the same until last sunday we used to be patient and tenacious but as soon as the dragons got in our face out came the miracle balls, the dumb plays, the panicked catch up footy it was like going back in time ten years

.a sample of one game Vs a sample of how many games that convinced you otherwise prior to Sunday?

The question being did we revert to form, or just have an off day?

T.S Quint

Coach
I can tell you why we haven’t won in Canberra for so long...it’s because they have mostly been a better team than us.

For most of the last decade we were one of the worst teams in the comp. We were barely winning any games at home, let alone any away. It’s no surprise we would lose to Canberra during this period.

Then we started to get our act together, but we’re still having trouble winning away games. By the time we got to the point where we could do well away from home, Canberra became a pretty damn good team.

If a team is better than us it stands to reason they will usually beat us. Even if the two teams are evenly matched it’s no surprise if the home team comes out victorious.

Canberra still have a very good team, most probably slightly better than ours. They are not too far removed from being in a GF and were Preliminary Finalists last year. It will be no surprise if we lose this game. That’s not to say we can’t, because we can...but it won’t be because of some f**king hoodoo or soft underbelly.

It will be no surprise if we lose this game. That’s not to say we can’t, because we can...but it won’t be because of some f**king hoodoo or soft underbelly.

we could play well and still lose this game
that's why i said getting hammered would be reverting to form

IFR33K

Coach
It's a fair travel.

It's cold.

It's windy.

Canberra (much like Newcastle) REALLY fire up when playing at home.

It's true that we have a bad record at Canberra - but I doubt we are the only side with a poor record in Canberra.

South Sydney have an abysmal record against the Storm, and Souths are Premiership favourites.

I'm unconvinced about Arthur; he seems to recruit well, but seems unable to prepare players for big games.

But I recall people giving stick to Rick Stuart (I refuse to call a grown man "Ricky"), and Stuart took the Roosters to three consecutive Grand Finals (for one win), and has the Raiders up as perennial title challengers.

Our hoodoo in Canberra has existed long, long before Arthur became coach.

1. I’ve never blamed BA for the hoodoo. I said it’s a big test if he can get us up for this game. I actually agree and been saying for a long time BA can’t get us ready for games that matter.

2. I don’t buy it’s the cold and wind effecting us. We’ve been losing there for far too long. Surely there’s been a day where the weather was fine.

3. We seemed to handle travelling in 2020 just fine.

Last edited:

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Surely there’s been a day where the weather was fine.
In Canberra in the middle of the year?

tenor.gif

IFR33K

Coach
In Canberra in the middle of the year?

tenor.gif

We played ok in horrendous conditions only a few weeks ago, didn’t we? We got the chocolates against the sharks last year, in the rain. We also beat the storm in 2010 in average conditions at PS. I don’t buy this whether issue. BA needs to get them to the next level and up for the occasion.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
We played ok in horrendous conditions only a few weeks ago, didn’t we? We got the chocolates against the sharks last year, in the rain. We also beat the storm in 2010 in average conditions at PS. I don’t buy this whether issue. BA needs to get them to the next level and up for the occasion.
I don't really think the weather is a major factor either. I was just making a comment about the weather in Canberra.

BA will have them up for the occasion. The bigger issue is whether (weather?) they use their heads. They were replaced with pumpkins last week.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't think refs will bin more than 1 player, particularly at the same time, in the current game. If they do, you'd get calls of "influencing the game" and whatnot from the usual suspects. Annesley and co aren't in the business of reffing the rules, they're in the business of satisfying the media.
We need to be heaps smarter with the refs.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He disagreed with an opinion and attempted to belittle me. I see a lot of similarities between you two clowns. He’s a regular pusssy f^*Kwit that hides behind a keyboard. You just hide behind your wife’s skirt.
She'll f**ken bash you merkin

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If you think losing continually in canberra or losing 5/6 semis isn’t mentally piss weak
Could it just mean we lack the talent to compete on a level playing field in Canberra or against top four teams in the finals? Why does there need to be a scapegoat?