What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 vs Warriors

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
This weekend we need to cut down our 6 again errors, they had reached alarming proportions agains the Knights and the Eels ....yes we have built our wins thus far basically on good defence but the toll on the body will catch up with some of our blokes week in week out if it continues....you just cant keep giving teams cheap metres therefore we need to improve in this area

Last edited:

Lovemedragons

Juniors
This weekend we need to cut down our 6 again errors, they had reached alarming proportions agains the Knights and the Eels ....yes we have built our wins thus far basically on good defence but the toll on the body will catch up with some of our blokes week in week out if it continues....you just cant keep giving teams cheap metres therefore we need to improve in this area
having enjoyed watching the eels game 3 times now I still struggle to understand (even through 1 red and 1 white eye) some of the calls we had against us, particularly given the lack of calls against the home side the last 2 weeks. After 1/2 time it was like the ref was willing Parra back into the game in front of their home crowd and the tv audience. The Isiah try should have been awarded to Atkins, he created the space needed so that Clune was exposed. The other Parra try should have been awarded to Moses, not Gutherson.

FlameThrower

Bench
having enjoyed watching the eels game 3 times now I still struggle to understand (even through 1 red and 1 white eye) some of the calls we had against us, particularly given the lack of calls against the home side the last 2 weeks. After 1/2 time it was like the ref was willing Parra back into the game in front of their home crowd and the tv audience. The Isiah try should have been awarded to Atkins, he created the space needed so that Clune was exposed. The other Parra try should have been awarded to Moses, not Gutherson.
Let it go ... we won ...

BLM01

First Grade
LOL...The conspiracyt theory....refs evening up the contest for TV audiences..could not possibly happen could it?
But the NRL keep saying each Monday they dont like to see too many blowouts or lopsided score lines as apparently not good for the game.....hmmm..., how do they stop it! ;)

thebigredv

First Grade
For a long time the pressure has been on the players. The players have begun to pay us back after some lean, miserable seasons that have left us baying for blood. Now the responsibility has to fall on the supporters to get out to Kogarah, at a packed house and cheer on the boys with all we've got. We have a team deserving of our support. Bring your best boys and girls!!

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
If we are to have this 6 again rule then at least flash up on the board at the game or on tv the reason for it...if they hav the time to identify the infringement then surely its just a matter of hitting a button from a list....ie holding player down to long, hand on ball,not being back 10 metres, offside etc.etc..its not rocket science with todays technology surely....theres nothing more frustrating than when the 6 again comes up and one thinks what the hell was that for

Last edited:

SBD82

Coach
I don’t know that the refs necessarily try to manage sides back into the game.

But they definitely do video analysis of their own performances, as well as developing tip sheets to look out for infringements in areas where particular players or teams are known to offend.

We need to be careful that we don’t develop a reputation for ruck infringements, because the refs will easily develop unconscious bias against us.

Having said that, I’m not sure that Hook is too concerned. We are winning games on the back our defence. And the boys seem to be enjoying being on that side of the ball.

If I’m being totally honest, I was bizarrely happy when we gave away some of those set restarts. 6 more tackles of watching us bash Parra? Yes please.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Why didnt you drop the shoulder in just as he was passing......at least you know how it felt in real terms ....and besides he may have stopped and said hello....although then again you may have been posting from the local hospital

BSE, don't you worry about me. I watched Sivo the other night and took notes on how to stay out of the way of Big Rava.
I had first met Rava during the pre-season at about the same point of my beachfront walk but that time he was on foot so we had a chat and I got a selfie with him. Lovely, friendly, humble bloke. Although I am 179 cm and 102 kgs he towers over me in that photo.
Just fantastic to see his development and his spontaneous display of joy when he gets a 4 pointer.

mickeylane

Bench
The ruck is so quick now if you don't slow down the teams like Penrith, Parra, Storm who play the ruck so quickly it's impossible to defend against...the only option is 1-2 man tackles and no third man coming in and out of the defence line on the next tackle....I would rather look at how we can maintain this strategy without gassing the players...I'm thinking that the first interchanges could happen earlier to maintain intensity...and 2 at a time and not one a time... yeah you run out of changes at the back end but could be a consideration...good news we have 3 very astute coaches who would have combed through every scenario so whatever we keep doing im good with...I dare to say that we have the most experienced coaching set up in the NRL w Hook, Elliott and Gentle....

possm

Coach
The ruck is so quick now if you don't slow down the teams like Penrith, Parra, Storm who play the ruck so quickly it's impossible to defend against...the only option is 1-2 man tackles and no third man coming in and out of the defence line on the next tackle....I would rather look at how we can maintain this strategy without gassing the players...I'm thinking that the first interchanges could happen earlier to maintain intensity...and 2 at a time and not one a time... yeah you run out of changes at the back end but could be a consideration...good news we have 3 very astute coaches who would have combed through every scenario so whatever we keep doing im good with...I dare to say that we have the most experienced coaching set up in the NRL w Hook, Elliott and Gentle....
As I see it, the attacking side is positioned too close to the ruck making it difficult for the defending side to stop the roll-on. The way to fix this is to have both sides stand back 10m, giving a greater distance for both sides to do their staff. The attacking side will have more time to weave their magic and the defending side will have a little more time to set their defence line and move up together.

If you complemented this 10m rule for both sides with a rule of no more than two defenders at once in a tackle, Many of the current problems in the ruck would be eliminated.

getsmarty

Immortal
SUNDAY

St George Illawarra Dragons vs Warriors, 2pm at Jubilee Stadium

Dragons team: 1. Matthew Dufty 2. Cody Ramsey 3. Jack Bird 4. Zac Lomax 5. Mikaele Ravalawa 6. Corey Norman 7. Adam Clune 8. Blake Lawrie 9. Andrew McCullough 10. Paul Vaughan 11. Josh Kerr 12. Tariq Sims 13. Tyrell Fuimaono 14. Kaide Ellis 15. Trent Merrin 16. Daniel Alvaro 17. Brayden Wiliame 18. Jackson Ford 19. Billy Burns 20. Josh McGuire 21. Jordan Pereira

Players cut:

Late mail: Blake Lawrie must pass a late fitness test to play after picking up a cork in the Round 5 win over the Eels. Daniel Alvaro looms as the most likely replacement if he fails to make the cut and Josh McGuire would likely come into the squad after he joined the Dragons from the Cowboys.

Warriors team: 1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 2. Peta Hiku 3. Adam Pompey 4. Marcelo Montoya 5. Ken Maumalo 6. Kodi Nikorima 7. Sean O’Sullivan 8. Leeson Ah Mau 9. Wayde Egan 10. Tohu Harris 11. Josh Curran 12. Jack Murchie 13. Jazz Tevaga 14. Ben Murdoch-Masila 15. Bunty Afoa 16. Kane Evans 17. Paul Turner 18. Rocco Berry 20. Tom Ale 21. Jamayne Taunoa-Brown 22. Taniela Otukolo

Players cut:

Late mail: To come.

Referee: The Warriors may look to bring Peta Hiku into his usual position as centre before kick off.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/9079d25ca6f209b1bd6e2c2171dc27d6

kit66

Bench

Gutherson's late try could have been ruled a knock on,he lost control of it at the end before it touched grass.
The 6 agains are driving me nuts. They were supposed to replace time consuming penalties but are being awarded for even the slightest misdemeanor - or actions that would never have attracted a penalty. The refs are being too free and easy with them, too quick to pull the trigger. But Blood Shot Eyes is 100 % correct our players need to show a little more discipline, actually a lot more.

getsmarty

Immortal
renouf_20210416.jpg

PEARLS OF WISDOM

Renouf: No spoon for you - Dragons revival leaves me with egg on my face
Author
Steve Renouf Broncos legend
Timestamp
Thu 15 Apr 2021, 12:56 PM
renoufsteve-head.png

Share on social media
Anthony Griffin deserves credit for what he has done to turn St George Illawarra around this season.

To be totally honest, I didn’t expect it.

At the start of the year when asked who would be my prediction to be the 2021 wooden spooners, I nominated the Dragons.

It goes to show you what a bad judge I am sometimes. You have to hand it to the Dragons, they are playing really well.

I’m actually enjoying watching the Dragons play footy and I didn’t think I would ever say that.

Griffin has really turned the club around and they’re playing totally different footy to what we’ve come to expect from them the last couple of years.

He has the players relaxed. You can see with some clubs – like Brisbane for example – there is so much tension in the club and it shows on game day.

remote.axd

Get Caught Up: Round 5 must-see moments

Get Caught Up: Round 5 must-see moments

Their heads drop faster, they don’t have confidence to play what is in front of them and in the end they just stick rigidly to their structure.

Something that has emerged in the first five weeks of the Telstra Premiership is that the teams who are willing to play a bit of football and play what is in front them rather than stick just to their structure are the ones having success.

Penrith are a great example of that and so too are the Titans.

The players have free rein to just play it as they see it and you can see it in the way they go about their business that the players are embracing that style.

At the Dragons it seems a bonding session over a few beers helped break the ice with the players and got them to relax.

One of the players said they’d never had that before and I thought ‘wow you guys have been missing out.’ It’s good to have a bit of old-school back in rugby league.

Griffin has brought back his own past and reunited his three former Broncos under 20s players in Ben Hunt, Corey Norman and Andrew McCullough.

With Josh McGuire joining the Dragons this week, that will be four ex-Broncos at the club.

All of them have had their critics in recent years, but certainly McCullough, Norman and Hunt seem to be playing good footy under Griffin again.

What stands out to me at the Dragons has been their defence. They are just in your face and jamming blokes.

remote.axd

Dragons players react to McGuire signing

Wayne Bennett was always big on defence. All the best coaches are. The last couple of weeks the Dragons just seem to frustrate the opposition out of the game.

To do that last week to the Eels, out there at Parramatta, was a huge statement.

The Dragons were simply relentless and Griffin has got them fired up to just go out and beat teams with their defence.

When Griffin’s time ended at Penrith there were questions about how he would go if given another chance in the NRL.

I’m actually enjoying watching the Dragons play, I didn’t think I'd ever say that.

He almost got to a grand final with the Broncos and had the Panthers on the right track when he was sacked in 2018.

Both his former clubs played in grand finals soon after Griffin left so it says something about what he can build at a football club, it just remains to be seen if he can take a team all the way.

The big question now for the Dragons is that we’ve seen them start a season like this many times before. They have been known to start well and then drop away during the season so this will be interesting.

This will be a new test for Griffin. Can he keep them up and firing? That’ll be his big challenge.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/15...ragons-revival-leaves-me-with-egg-on-my-face/

Latest posts