What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Avenger

Immortal
What are your thoughts on Jake Arthur?

I have not seen much of him but from what I have seen it has definitely impressed me.
I like him. Definitely has the right attitude and already has better defence than Moses. Probably more composed too.

Incorrect

Coach
I'd honestly take a punt on a halves pairing of Drown in the organising number 7 role (I think he has that capability in him but defers to Moses at this stage of his career and where he is in our pecking order) with Jackson Hastings as a more instinctive, running half. Don't think Wigan are keen on losing him though without something in return... Could we give them Will Smith?!

Avenger

Immortal
I'd honestly take a punt on a halves pairing of Drown in the organising number 7 role (I think he has that capability in him but defers to Moses at this stage of his career and where he is in our pecking order) with Jackson Hastings as a more instinctive, running half. Don't think Wigan are keen on losing him though without something in return... Could we give them Will Smith?!

I'd take him.

lucablight

First Grade
Moses isn’t perfect but he’s still one of the best halves in the comp. Nearly every alternate option I’ve seen suggested would make our team significantly worse. I would bet the same fans who want to replace him now would be blowing up about why we let him go if that were to happen. Don’t forget even Cleary lead the NSW team to defeat against one of the supposed worst Queensland sides in history. If we don’t win a premiership it’s not going to be because of Moses.

Gronk

Staff member
Moses isn’t perfect but he’s still one of the best halves in the comp. Nearly every alternate option I’ve seen suggested would make our team significantly worse. I would bet the same fans who want to replace him now would be blowing up about why we let him go if that were to happen. Don’t forget even Cleary lead the NSW team to defeat against one of the supposed worst Queensland sides in history. If we don’t win a premiership it’s not going to be because of Moses.
Yep, people seem to be looking for Moses to be as good as Thurston or Cronk and when he doesn’t cut it, they look for alternatives. Facts are that every team have halfbacks inferior to these two goats.

Methinks merkins should lower their expectations.

This week

Penrith - on the rise, probably the only consistent half
Broncos - who is their half ?

Knights - was Pearce (hot n cold) now the vanilla but solid Green
Sharks - Was hot n cold Johnson, now average Townsend

Storm - repurposed fullback Hughes seems to be their solution after a long search
Roosters - struggled for replace Cronk. Rookie Walker looks promising, but so did Flanno

Manly - at $1.2m pa DCE is rarely the difference. Overpaid.
Titans - their $1m half is MIA, their Qld cup 7 is going good.

Bunnies - $1m Reynolds has been good in patches for past few years. Yet Rusty wants to move him on and play a rookie.
Tigers - Brooks is shit, yet Broncos, Sharks are looking at him.

Raiders - struggled for years. Had to buy the GB half in the end
Eels - Moses is no goat and goes missing, but is top 5. Probably unable to improve his game from where he is now

Dragons - $1.2 m Hunt has been a failure. Clune does the job but woukd struggle to find a job if he was moved on.
Warriors - released the NZ half and signed Broncos discard Nikorima. Kody is nippy but probably brings more negatives than positives. Has been playing well in 2021

Cows - have not been able to find a 7 since JT
Dogs - Roosters discard Flanno is struggling

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Moses is 26 years old, apart from having some good games and some average games here and there, he is as good as he's ever going to get imo.

So we accept him as he is, or we look elsewhere. Must be hard for BA to judge his own son though, without bias.

He's a bit skinny for mine and looks like he needs to bulk up a bit, he could be easily injured in the NRL.

A year of so to go I reckon, maybe more, so we probabaly just need to be patient while Mitch is under contract. I can't see any other feasible option.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Moses is 26 years old, apart from having some good games and some average games here and there, he is as good as he's ever going to get imo.

So we accept him as he is, or we look elsewhere. Must be hard for BA to judge his own son though, without bias.

He's a bit skinny for mine and looks like he needs to bulk up a bit, he could be easily injured in the NRL.

A year of so to go I reckon, maybe more, so we probabaly just need to be patient while Mitch is under contract. I can't see any other feasible option.

There is still time for Moses' game to mature. He's probably got a year or two in him before he starts to lose his speed and step, but there's always a chance he can replace that with smarts and consistency.

I aint making a call that he will, but I also wouldn't be saying that at 26 he can't adapt and improve his overall game. Plenty have done it in the past.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
There is still time for Moses' game to mature. He's probably got a year or two in him before he starts to lose his speed and step, but there's always a chance he can replace that with smarts and consistency.

I aint making a call that he will, but I also wouldn't be saying that at 26 he can't adapt and improve his overall game. Plenty have done it in the past.

Hope he does, just don't think he will.

If we were seeing gradual improvement then yeh, but I think he's plateaued out.

hindy111

Post Whore
Yep, people seem to be looking for Moses to be as good as Thurston or Cronk and when he doesn’t cut it, they look for alternatives. Facts are that every team have halfbacks inferior to these two goats.

Methinks merkins should lower their expectations.

This week

Penrith - on the rise, probably the only consistent half
Broncos - who is their half ?

Knights - was Pearce (hot n cold) now the vanilla but solid Green
Sharks - Was hot n cold Johnson, now average Townsend

Storm - repurposed fullback Hughes seems to be their solution after a long search
Roosters - struggled for replace Cronk. Rookie Walker looks promising, but so did Flanno

Manly - at $1.2m pa DCE is rarely the difference. Overpaid.
Titans - their $1m half is MIA, their Qld cup 7 is going good.

Bunnies - $1m Reynolds has been good in patches for past few years. Yet Rusty wants to move him on and play a rookie.
Tigers - Brooks is shit, yet Broncos, Sharks are looking at him.

Raiders - struggled for years. Had to but the GB half in the end
Eels - Moses is no goat and goes missing, but is top 5. Probably unable to improve his game from where he is now

Dragons - $1.2 m Hunt has been a failure. Clune does the job but woukd struggle to find a job if he was moved on.
Warriors - released the NZ half and signed Broncos discard Nikorima. Kody is nippy but probably brings more negatives than positives. Has been playing well in 2021

Cows - have not been able to find a 7 since JT
Dogs - Roosters discard Flanno is struggling

Moses and Brown have it hard based on no weapons.
Cleary just needs to feed the ball to Kikau,Too,Critchon and if any space they cause damage.
I am hard on D.Brown but to be fair to him most the time he steps back in cause there I just nothing on.
Moses possibly is trying to hard knowing the backs offer f**k all

TheRam

Coach
Townsend is a premiership winning halfback with nearly 200 NRL games. Only 30 years of age. Would cost max, $400k.

How about you give a suggestion.

Good luck getting him for that much. He wouldn't leave the Shire for anything less then $600K. Why would the Sharks let a decent and experienced Premiership winner leave if they could hold onto him for that pittance?

Yes he is a solid half, without being brilliant, but his game also fluctuates massively from his best to his worst, just like Moses. He isn't any better then Moses for consistency at all, so why bother? Besides we would have 2 very unremarkable and steady at best halves with no brilliance or spark amongst them. Great team building there mate. Not to mention he is much slower then Moses, so you make the team even slower then it is now. OK then. Great recruitment.

What about we keep Moses, since you don't have a better option and we wait till at better one becomes available or J. Arthur proves he is NRL ready and a better option?

I am not a major Moses fan, but until someone can come up with a better option that will actually improve the team, then I believe we should hold onto him even for all his faults. He has proven he is good enough to help make us a top 4 team. Besides you never know, it is only 3 or 4 games from there to title winners. Funnier things have happened.

TheRam

Coach
I like him. Definitely has the right attitude and already has better defence than Moses. Probably more composed too.

So do I and everybody else that has seen him play, but he isn't NRL ready yet. Probably won't be for another 2 years, so we need someone that can maintain our top 4 standing right now. Why go backwards. Quality halves are the hardest player to develop and or recruit. That is a huge reason as to why we haven't won a single Premiership since we had the best 2 in the business way back in the 80's.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Moses and Brown have it hard based on no weapons.
Cleary just needs to feed the ball to Kikau,Too,Critchon and if any space they cause damage.
I am hard on D.Brown but to be fair to him most the time he steps back in cause there I just nothing on.
Moses possibly is trying to hard knowing the backs offer f**k all

I am of the same opinion. I've been supporting Parra for 21 years, a lot less than others but one thing I've noticed is that we're always looking for Sterling or Thurston equivalent. I think it's time to admit we won't get that and just concentrate on an average half with weapons around him.

Heck if Jeff Robson could get us into a grand final which we lost due to a cheating team playing us, I think Moses is ok. There's other problems in the team which we can solve easier than a half maybe.

TheRam

Coach

If we were to lose Moses, I think he would probably be the best next option. But still a gamble I don't want to take unless I have to. Why risk it? We aren't a struggling club. If we didn't have a 5/8th or hooker, sure you could then bring him in and see what he could do, but we are currently covered for those positions.

Hastings is the player the Broncos, Cowboys, Knights or even Tigers should be looking at, But I wouldn't be going to the Tigers if I were him.

Incorrect

Coach
If we were to lose Moses, I think he would probably be the best next option. But still a gamble I don't want to take unless I have to. Why risk it? We aren't a struggling club. If we didn't have a 5/8th or hooker, sure you could then bring him in and see what he could do, but we are currently covered for those positions.

Hastings is the player the Broncos, Cowboys, Knights or even Tigers should be looking at, But I wouldn't be going to the Tigers if I were him.
Agreed. I'm just playing devil's advocate in the event that Moses doesn't take up his option for 2022 and instead signed for squillions with Brisbane, or Cows or whoever... It's probably a contingency plan our HOF needs to be starting to think about...

TheRam

Coach
Agreed. I'm just playing devil's advocate in the event that Moses doesn't take up his option for 2022 and instead signed for squillions with Brisbane, or Cows or whoever... It's probably a contingency plan our HOF needs to be starting to think about...

Yep, you are probably right.

TheRam

Coach
What I would be trying to do more then looking to replacing our half is find some genuine speed for our outside backs. See if I could trade someone like Waqa for Xavier Coates or even Herbie Farnworth. Or try to poach Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow from the cowboys.

But whatever we do in recruitment at this point needs to be with genuine speed in mind. Our playmakers need to know that they can send the ball wide with the belief that the receiver can actually outrun his opposite number. At the moment unless we are close to the try line there it just never happens and we get caught or corralled back in where the defenders are coming at us.

We need to bring the fear of speed to our game, which will then help our middles too by not having a compressed defense all the time since they know we can't out speed the on the flanks.

If the rumors are correct and Ado-Carr signed at the Dogs for $500K, then we really blew it by not pursuing him. That is a steal for someone of his immense scoring ability and will be wasted at the Dogs.

We need speed, speed speed!