What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 6 vs South Sydney @ Stadium Australia

Who will win? Round 6: South Sydney v Wests Tigers

• South Sydney Rabbitohs 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Wests Tigers 1-12

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Liddle did 57 tackles, no wonder he struggled in other areas. Harsh axing to be honest.
I agree with you Pezz, the NRL site & Foxsports site have different stats but Liddle was the top in both.

Based on stats though, I’d say the problem was a lack of ability to do anything with the ball, (and that may be harsh, but) e.g.
195 runs V Cowboys 151 - - so what did the Tigers do with the ball?
1631 run metres V 1414 - so what did the Tigers do with the ball after gaining those extra metres?
31 tackle breaks V 14 - so who was supporting those tackle breaks?
35 times the Tigers were tackled in opp 20 V 26 for the Cowboys (from Foxsports) – shows lack of composure or ability to do something with the ball, perhaps !

Dropping a player is easy, it typically means the player has had a shocker and more importantly the coach has lost faith in a player.

Dropping Liddle to me means that he has simply been made the scapegoat, this is a strange one when so many have kept their position during Madge's time at the Tigers.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
I agree with you Pezz, the NRL site & Foxsports site have different stats but Liddle was the top in both.

Based on stats though, I’d say the problem was a lack of ability to do anything with the ball, (and that may be harsh, but) e.g.
195 runs V Cowboys 151 - - so what did the Tigers do with the ball?
1631 run metres V 1414 - so what did the Tigers do with the ball after gaining those extra metres?
31 tackle breaks V 14 - so who was supporting those tackle breaks?
35 times the Tigers were tackled in opp 20 V 26 for the Cowboys (from Foxsports) – shows lack of composure or ability to do something with the ball, perhaps !

Dropping a player is easy, it typically means the player has had a shocker and more importantly the coach has lost faith in a player.

Dropping Liddle to me means that he has simply been made the scapegoat, this is a strange one when so many have kept their position during Madge's time at the Tigers.

Looking at stats doesn’t always paint the full picture though

how many times have we defended our goal line? Apart from I think the knights game I would be surprised if we have defended any sets off our goal line back to back. I also think he gets targeted a lot in defence and our big boys are very lacklustre when it comes to assisting him

No intent in defense & our line speed is slow. Which starts with the dummy half. Not sure Simpkin is the one to fix that right now, but he gets his chance

I don’t believe he’s been made scape goat & But I reckon he should have atleast kept his spot on the bench

Last edited:

Perth Tiger

Bench
Liddle 57 tackles, try assist, line break assist, pretty harsh axing

Might be more of a case that Simpkin has simply banged the door down. Haven't seen any of the reserve grade games but according to this he cant do much more for a chance:

He has been the standout player for Western Suburbs Magpies in reserve grade so far this year — scoring six tries in five games — to sit atop the try-scoring chart.

He also leads the competition in linebreaks (seven), dummy-half runs (31), tackles (213) and total touches (460).

https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2021/04/13/get-to-know-jake-simpkin/

I was nearly expecting the entire reserve grade team to be promoted to first grade and last weeks team to be dropped to reggies for this week.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
I don't think it's so much Liddle being dropped for poor performance, it's probably Madge trying to find something more in attack. We obviously don't know what goes at training, but Madge might have set a game plan that Liddle didn't follow. He also made a pretty diabolical forward pass in the first half, when we were desperate for possession.

Our problem is mostly upstairs.

We need a proper team psychiatrist to step in and work out why the players aren’t responding.

Why are they de-motivated at critical times?

Why do the boys train so well but fall at the last hurdle?

Brooks at optimum is fantastic, why does he and others get stage fright?

Are our players effected by subliminal issues that are impacting on their actual gamesmanship?

Can we get bj back on track?

Hard work is not rewarding us, all these cliches and motivational rubbish is hurting us.

We really need to look outside the box, help Madge to get in their heads.

A lot of the boys, they wouldn’t throw a forward pass at training for 12 months, but when they play....

Plus an assistant, once again to give Madge a hand, not to harm or mess with him.

Some of the players might be depressed or have bad thoughts cluttering up their well being. It may be effecting their performance.

A shrink may be able to instill confidence and belief as well.

Years ago, people might have scoffed at this. But the world has changed. Technology is impacting, not always helpfully.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Our problem is mostly upstairs.

We need a proper team psychiatrist to step in and work out why the players aren’t responding.

Why are they de-motivated at critical times?

Why do the boys train so well but fall at the last hurdle?

Brooks at optimum is fantastic, why does he and others get stage fright?

Are our players effected by subliminal issues that are impacting on their actual gamesmanship?

Can we get bj back on track?

Hard work is not rewarding us, all these cliches and motivational rubbish is hurting us.

We really need to look outside the box, help Madge to get in their heads.

A lot of the boys, they wouldn’t throw a forward pass at training for 12 months, but when they play....

Plus an assistant, once again to give Madge a hand, not to harm or mess with him.

Some of the players might be depressed or have bad thoughts cluttering up their well being. It may be effecting their performance.

A shrink may be able to instill confidence and belief as well.

Years ago, people might have scoffed at this. But the world has changed. Technology is impacting, not always helpfully.
You’re thinking a footy whisper, aren’t you? I think we told Teddy’s to f**k off, maybe a mistake:innocent:

Tigers1986

Juniors
In attack I think Liddle is still being cautious due to his horrific knee injury and wanting to ease back. Which is why I advocated for him playing reserves for a few weeks to work himself back into full-fledged footy. He just doesn't seem fast enough to get into hooker. You look at Cook, Grant, Korisau, Hodgson, Mahoney and their speed to the ruck - gives the attack a huge go-forward.

Tiger Ted

Bench
I can see why he appears to be a good leader. He may even be a good leader. He also isn't a bad player. He does his job.

The problem is we need guys that do more than their job atm.
I’d be stoked if our 17 mercenaries met their basic KPI’s

Tiger05

First Grade
I’d be stoked if our 17 mercenaries met their basic KPI’s

It's interesting. Tamou hasn't been bad but he is a worker who does his job. I don't think we can compete with guys like that.

You are right if we had 17 players who did that it'd be fine. The problem is we don't.

Look at Nofo. He was beyond terrible last week. He was also one of our best players last year and his finishing and hit-ups are pretty high level.

You’re thinking a footy whisper, aren’t you? I think we told Teddy’s to f**k off, maybe a mistake:innocent:

I don’t care.

I’ve backed us in work tipping comp v bunnies.

It’s these little 1%ers that get you over the line at the business end and there’s a motza to be won.

Our female afl player still leads, but I have her shaking in her boots.

we
got
this!

Last edited: