What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best and worst commentator?

redv13

Bench
Unlike most people, I like Blocker, and I reckon he likes the Saints!
I also like Braith Anasta.

I cannot stand the entire channel 9 team, they are pathetic. Special hatred for Darren Lockyer.
Blocker definitely like us, usually refers to us as Saints. More often than not he says good things about us. Warren Smith and Alexander are the complete opposite. Not everyone’s cup of tea but I enjoy Vossy’s commentary

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Of the modern era Best Dan Ginnane worst either Warren Smith or Andrew Voss

Of all time best Rex Mossop worst Graham Hughes

Ginnane sounds like he needs a box of tissues and a change of underwear each time a 'noted" player touches the ball.

Vossy my fav although he has 'weakened' a little.

Shock jocks cant do TV.

Finding Flannos insights very interesting and spot on.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Ginnane sounds like he needs a box of tissues and a change of underwear each time a 'noted" player touches the ball.

Vossy my fav although he has 'weakened' a little.

Shock jocks cant do TV.

Finding Flannos insights very interesting and spot on.
Where’s the love Rex Mossop? He’s clearly the best of all time

Gareth67

First Grade
Rex had a very cultured voice , but good lawd with those cauliflower ears he was certainly no oil painting, still I didn’t mine him .

Ron Casey was good if you were fortunate to have a interpreter with you at the time, but as with Mossop I didn’t mind him either .

Radio you had Frank Hyde whose rendition of “ Oh Danny boy , the pipes the pipes are playing “ could put my Ethel to sleep and that is saying something . But the man was a first class commentator and a cut above the rest .

Inisai Toga

Juniors
What i liked about Mossop was his frankness. He’d played the game and understood it. He was tough but fair in my opinion. Commentators today just don’t say it how it is and sugar coat things as though they are the players best friend. Many times they also go into petty conversational streams away from the focus of the game to highlight their humour and in-talk.
Mossop’s focus was the game at hand. He was much maligned and easy to bag for some but i throughly enjoyed Rex’s presentation of the football.

Dracarys

Juniors
Vossy’s great. Doesn’t take himself too seriously, absolutely loves his footy and thoroughly enjoys his co-commentators & his job. And as an aside I think we’re exposed to too many ex players’ opinions and more often than not it’s amateur hour. Along with the ‘gotcha’ journalism of Wiedler and Kent makes for pretty feeble viewing on the footy front. I too, grew up on the banter around the table of “Controversy Corner” and gentlemen of that ilk and yes there were ex players among them but they spoke with what seemed more gravitas back then. I miss that.

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade
Rex had a very cultured voice , but good lawd with those cauliflower ears he was certainly no oil painting, still I didn’t mine him .

Ron Casey was good if you were fortunate to have a interpreter with you at the time, but as with Mossop I didn’t mind him either .

Radio you had Frank Hyde whose rendition of “ Oh Danny boy , the pipes the pipes are playing “ could put my Ethel to sleep and that is saying something . But the man was a first class commentator and a cut above the rest .
The worst by far radio commentator was Tiger Black. Called the game like a funeral march.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade

Yes mate Frank Hyde was my pick as well.....that distinct nasal voice......I remember very fondly being glued to my transistor radio on a Sat arvo listening to his match commentary....ahhhh the memories

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
Funny how Voss gets a bad wrap for overemphasis. Have you ever heard a yank call the NFL? I'll take energy over underwhelming dissatisfaction every day of the week. For me his excitement is contagious, genuinely loves his job and let's everyone know it without sounding forced. Ginnane is like a mayonnaise version of Vossy without a lick of wit, to the point where his voice becomes infuriating so I can understand why people don't like Voss. Speedy goes alright too.

Peter Stirling deserves a wrap, I've got a lot of time for him, but almost everyone else on Nines coverage are average.

Someone else mentioned him earlier but Andrew Moore is easily the best of the current generation

Illusion

Bench
Too many voices and often all at the one time for my liking these days.

Morrow & Wok had that mix right but not so anyone else in the modern era

Mossop was great because he did it basically solo on game day.

@He’s gapped them” and “he’s torn them to shreds” were 2 of his all time great phrases.
Moose was great , and so was Frank "It's long enough, it's high enough and it's straight between the posts" .....