What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

super_coach

First Grade
Come season end we will be more than bottom half of the comp, probably bottom three with a real chance at the spoon. The squad bar a few is just not up to the way the game is played today. It is all about speed, athleticism and skill right across the paddock. We are in very short supply of those qualities

gordsy

Juniors
We will finish in bottom half of the table for the 3rd yr in a row under maguires tutelage.We have clearly regressed each season over the 3 yrs.There’s no sign of improvement & the fact our defence is so timid under a coach who is known to put his imprint on his teams D & on their resilience is a blight on his coaching.

Do u seriously think it’s good business to continue with a coach who fails 3 yrs in succession to make the 8 & who can’t get the team up on a significant day at LO as was last Sunday against a team of no-names ?

I do wonder how we would be doing now under Potter instead of Madge or Taylor.

Das Hassler

Bench
I do wonder how we would be doing now under Potter instead of Madge or Taylor.

Hard to guess...coach's develop on the job the same as players do ( or not) but it's hard not to notice that he hasn't had a mention anywhere else as a head coach candidate

Zoe Palmer

Juniors
Come season end we will be more than bottom half of the comp, probably bottom three with a real chance at the spoon. The squad bar a few is just not up to the way the game is played today. It is all about speed, athleticism and skill right across the paddock. We are in very short supply of those qualities

And the myth of a coach plays a tug boat at 5/8th slowing everything down to a crawl

Pezz70

Juniors
And the myth of a coach plays a tug boat at 5/8th slowing everything down to a crawl

You’re wrong on this was Zoe.
Douiehi will be exceptional there and will show massive improvement going forward, he’s a big boy, deceptively fast (he looks a touch slow cause he has the defence in his face every time he gets the ball and because he is actually quite a big fella) and very skilful. Remember he has spent the last year playing out of position, there was a couple of games at the end of last season where Douehi started at the back and was moved into the front line, and it sparked us up. I think he’ll develop along the lines of Jack Wighton. The other thing I will say is atm the Tigers play with absolutely no shape in the opposition 20, the sooner that changes and Douiehi has options, we’ll see a different Tigers. The team as a defensive unit is a big big worry

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Douiehi will be exceptional there and will show massive improvement going forward, he’s a big boy, deceptively fast (he looks a touch slow cause he has the defence in his face every time he gets the ball and because he is actually quite a big fella) and very skilful. Remember he has spent the last year playing out of position, there was a couple of games at the end of last season where Douehi started at the back and was moved into the front line, and it sparked us up. I think he’ll develop along the lines of Jack Wighton. The other thing I will say is atm the Tigers play with absolutely no shape in the opposition 20, the sooner that changes and Douiehi has options, we’ll see a different Tigers. The team as a defensive unit is a big big worry

Some good points you make about Doueihi granted. I think he is nowhere near his ceiling as a 5/8th. He's only just played his 50th NRL game.

On the point about the Tigers playing with no shape Im not sure I agree. I have noted we're really flat in attack much like the Melbourne storm used to play when Kimmorley led them years ago. This only works when you get a quick play the ball. We never do. Consequently Brooks Doueihi and others have no time on the ball. Brooks is so flat he often takes the ball behind him and he almost never carries it out in front with two hands.

You could be right. There might not be any coaching around shape. There certainly isnt any coaching around support runners in posession. Every player who takes a hit up does so on his Pat Malone. Never anyone in support :(

Tiger Ted

Bench
Yes, I think we will be needing 2 new centres next season, may as well start now.
It’s certainly an understatement us needing 2 new centres.I’ve heard we’ve got a real good one in lower grades but not sure if it’s the kid Ogden promoted to nsw cup this wk or the other centre in Flegg Iverson.

Vozzy

Juniors
Listening to one of the Wests Tigers podcasts yesterday with the rumor about Benji, J. Reynolds and Packer trying to get some of the players to help get rid of Madge last year. Also it came straight after they won 48-0 against the Broncos so when the team was on a high but this was also the same time these guys were getting dropped for poor form. Apparently the unrest continued and that's where there was a split and players came to blows on a Mad Monday. If this is true I'm backing Madge over these losers like you haven't made finals in 10 years and what have a cry when someone makes you work hard to become consistant.

I think players who can't handle Madges strict/hard ways are still in the team and it seems like its players who have been here awhile. Obviously players who just signed like learning from a guy like Madge. I'm hoping for more clean out if this is the case and Madge can get players who will bust a gut for him.

Tigerm

First Grade
Listening to one of the Wests Tigers podcasts yesterday with the rumor about Benji, J. Reynolds and Packer trying to get some of the players to help get rid of Madge last year. Also it came straight after they won 48-0 against the Broncos so when the team was on a high but this was also the same time these guys were getting dropped for poor form. Apparently the unrest continued and that's where there was a split and players came to blows on a Mad Monday. If this is true I'm backing Madge over these losers like you haven't made finals in 10 years and what have a cry when someone makes you work hard to become consistant.

I think players who can't handle Madges strict/hard ways are still in the team and it seems like its players who have been here awhile. Obviously players who just signed like learning from a guy like Madge. I'm hoping for more clean out if this is the case and Madge can get players who will bust a gut for him.
Haven’t heard it that way before, agree there were a few who weren’t putting in and it appears to be happening again. Not hard where to look, there aren’t that many left.
But it also looks like some of the new blokes, some of who have openly praised Madge?

So it’s hard to work out what’s going on. But I’m backing Madge as I refuse to believe he is coaching them to play like shit.

whatever the problem, I hope it gets sorted real quick.

Vozzy

Juniors
I feel like for once we have to bite the bullet and see how sticking with Madge goes in terms of how he recruits for next season. I'm also wondering if having a young coach may be better for new ideas, open backline play.

Im thinking rebuilding isn't Madges strength but if he was to go to a Parramatta or Canberra now his style would get them from 4th/5th to top 2. Like Tim Sheens was good at finding youth and letting them just play but seemed to be poor at maintaining it for more then 2 years at a time.

Zoe Palmer

Juniors

You may well be right Pezz but I think it’s a different game now.

The good teams have speed at the line and in their hands. Walker , Luai, Munster, etc. Even Drinkwater proved a handful last week

Adam strikes me as a running back rower with an offload.

time will tell:hugging:

gordsy

Juniors
Hard to guess...coach's develop on the job the same as players do ( or not) but it's hard not to notice that he hasn't had a mention anywhere else as a head coach candidate
Fair point but then again does the nrl make sense, look at what happened to Morris and Hook. Clubs blowing up seasons due to egos. I have time for Potter because it seemed like he cared and wanted to genuinely help. Plus he got creamed by flog farah but didn't turn into a merkin about it.
Not sure I could do that. .

Das Hassler

Bench
Fair point but then again does the nrl make sense, look at what happened to Morris and Hook. Clubs blowing up seasons due to egos. I have time for Potter because it seemed like he cared and wanted to genuinely help. Plus he got creamed by flog farah but didn't turn into a merkin about it.
Not sure I could do that. .

I agree with you...just interesting that unless he's put it out there that he's not interested, he never gets thrown into the mix as a maybe for a position. Last i heard he was an assistant at the knights? ?