What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears NRL Bid.

reanimate

Bench
tbh they havent really take any option, crazy or not. Since the demise of the northern Eagles it seems the nrl has been quite happy to just let things be as is for twenty years. Strategic thinking isn’t the nrls strong point!
No, it’s not. Ideally they should have forced the merger to continue to exist in some form. The districts should have been forcibly merged and one brand killed off for good. There’s been zero leadership.

MugaB

Coach
No. Just no. Northern Sydney doesn't need an NRL team. The Roosters can become the team for kids from the North Shore and Northern Beaches. Let Manly and North Sydney battle it out in the NSW Cup.

Roosters can take a few games to Gosford.

The fact is regional NSW isn't profitable to the NRL like regional Queensland. The poor ratings for the Knights prove it.
Hahaha, you're an idiot, poor ratings in Newcastle is due to most of them go to the live game, plus poor timeslots, dont you remember they were 3 years in a row of wooden spoons, why would they get good timeslots. Good timeslots go to the inform clubs, have you seen Penrith play on a weekend, rarely, theyve been either on thursday or friday and as for No, just no, shut the fùck up, you know nothing about sydney, or it catchments or the rivals and histories, Manly is going nowhere, no one is merging or going to a lower grade there won't be a trade of any licence, especially not to Perth, not when they can't compete at SG ball level, yes they've got heart to try, but certainly not good enough for a 1st grade licence, I'd be backing Dolphins before any other bid purely on the recent reserve grade form, and recent yearly QCUP standing, from 2016-2018 were either 1st or 2nd. All these other metrics youve used are useless, market size? Who gives a flying fück about market size! that would only ever matter if there was a nessesary need to show that you need an NRL licence in that area, but guess what! every team has one on your graph, who cares which one is bigger or better, broncos have the largest due to being a one team town in 2mil pop, how come Melbourne isnt that great, when they got almost 5mil pop??? Yes Graphs!!! Solve nothing, stop pretending to have the answer, and leave the ideas about sydney to those who know something about it, i wouldn't presume to lecture you on Logan, even tho my mother lives there.

Btw your nifty graph doesn't show the Warriors, so whatever evidence-based crap your coming up with doesn't include the whole country of New Zealand, which could be very well be manly and knights fans

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
No, it’s not. Ideally they should have forced the merger to continue to exist in some form. The districts should have been forcibly merged and one brand killed off for good. There’s been zero leadership.

I get the feeling that since the shotgun mergers & exclusion (and subsequent appeal, then reinstatement) of Souths.. that the NRL has been horribly gun-shy about doing anything with Sydney's map.

I think the potential short term fallout scares them, and they just have no stomach for it.. even if some may agree that in the long term it could help the game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Roosters could take over the area. If the Swans and Waratahs are able to draw active fans from the area then there's no reason the Roosters can't do the same.

That is the other option. You split northern Sydney in half with manly concentrating on upper region and gosford and roosters on lower northern area.

manly - central coast sea Eagles 6-6 game split
Sydney roosters incorp lower north Sydney. Played at allianz with nostalgia round game at NS oval.

either way something needs to be done for both Manlys sake and the games sake in the region. The pathetic crowds in gosford should be a massive wake up call to the nrl about how low the profile of the game has become on CC.

mongoose

Coach
The CC mariners crowds have been poor and they are top of the table I think? There's a rumor that Manchester United want to buy them out and relocate them to North Sydney. I don't know what there plan is for a stadium though.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hahaha, you're an idiot, poor ratings in Newcastle is due to most of them go to the live game, plus poor timeslots, dont you remember they were 3 years in a row of wooden spoons, why would they get good timeslots. Good timeslots go to the inform clubs, have you seen Penrith play on a weekend, rarely, theyve been either on thursday or friday and as for No, just no, shut the fùck up, you know nothing about sydney, or it catchments or the rivals and histories, Manly is going nowhere, no one is merging or going to a lower grade there won't be a trade of any licence, especially not to Perth, not when they can't compete at SG ball level, yes they've got heart to try, but certainly not good enough for a 1st grade licence, I'd be backing Dolphins before any other bid purely on the recent reserve grade form, and recent yearly QCUP standing, from 2016-2018 were either 1st or 2nd. All these other metrics youve used are useless, market size? Who gives a flying fück about market size! that would only ever matter if there was a nessesary need to show that you need an NRL licence in that area, but guess what! every team has one on your graph, who cares which one is bigger or better, broncos have the largest due to being a one team town in 2mil pop, how come Melbourne isnt that great, when they got almost 5mil pop??? Yes Graphs!!! Solve nothing, stop pretending to have the answer, and leave the ideas about sydney to those who know something about it, i wouldn't presume to lecture you on Logan, even tho my mother lives there.

Btw your nifty graph doesn't show the Warriors, so whatever evidence-based crap your coming up with doesn't include the whole country of New Zealand, which could be very well be manly and knights fans

not sure the strength of our sg ball side is that relevant to the overall reasons for creating a national competition lol. We’ve produced 4 or 5 first graders since the sg ball set up started which isn’t massive but is better than Victoria has managed with all their resources and nrl club to aspire to!
Populations do matter to some degree, though they certainly aren’t the be all and end all. Popularity, stadium, form, community investment etc all play equal parts. It’s no surprise that the lowest supported clubs are generally in the smallest population catchments.

MugaB

Coach
That is the other option. You split northern Sydney in half with manly concentrating on upper region and gosford and roosters on lower northern area.

manly - central coast sea Eagles 6-6 game split
Sydney roosters incorp lower north Sydney. Played at allianz with nostalgia round game at NS oval.

either way something needs to be done for both Manlys sake and the games sake in the region. The pathetic crowds in gosford should be a massive wake up call to the nrl about how low the profile of the game has become on CC.
I said this already Manly-CC Eagles anything north of Pymble, and Northern beaches
and North Sydney Roosters anything south of Gordon and North Shore
EAGLES =Gosford 8 games, Brookvale 4 games,
RORTERS=SFS 11 games,
1 NSO +(trials&training)

reanimate

Bench
I said this already Manly-CC Eagles anything north of Pymble, and Northern beaches
and North Sydney Roosters anything south of Gordon and North Shore
EAGLES =Gosford 8 games, Brookvale 4 games,
RORTERS=SFS 11 games,
1 NSO +(trials&training)
The better split would be to use the appropriately named Boundary St and allocate Lindfield and everything else north to Manly and Chatswood and everything else south to the Roosters. That way you can cross the Roseville bridge from the Beaches and turn right for Manly territory, left for Roosters.

I think keeping the region intact and under one NRL club is the better option, but a split between Manly and the Roosters would still be far, far superior to the current situation.

MugaB

Coach
The better split would be to use the appropriately named Boundary St and allocate Lindfield and everything else north to Manly and Chatswood and everything else south to the Roosters. That way you can cross the Roseville bridge from the Beaches and turn right for Manly territory, left for Roosters.

I think keeping the region intact and under one NRL club is the better option, but a split between Manly and the Roosters would still be far, far superior to the current situation.
Yes especially since the bears still service the whole area, and thus feed the rorters, and Lindfield works pretty well, as Chatswood and Willoughby are pretty "norths" centred areas, manly having anything above would give them tremendous depth if they could develop it properly, theres still catchments up near Epping area that belong to Balmain, like Carlingford etc, if that was properly bordered or new boundaries rezoned, you'd think Carlingford would be in parramattas district or rorters

toomuchsoup

Juniors
I wonder if instead of being the ‘Northern Eagles’ has they gone for ‘North Sydney Sea Eagles’ and kept Manlys colours, would it have stood a chance? Changing it to just Eagles was a terrible decision

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wonder if instead of being the ‘Northern Eagles’ has they gone for ‘North Sydney Sea Eagles’ and kept Manlys colours, would it have stood a chance? Changing it to just Eagles was a terrible decision

i think the problems ran a lot deeper than the name!
Nrl was,dumb as dogsht for letting them abandon gosford and skirt back to manly under their old brand. Should have been “make it work or the license goes out to tender.”

Surely a team called North Sydney Sea Eagles, maroon and white, could convince children from all over northern Sydney to choose them over the Swans and Warratahs. It's not as if these kids ever saw the Bears play in the 90s, so they won't have an emotional attachment to them.

siv

First Grade
Roosters could play 3 at NSO 3 at Brookvale and 6 at Gosford

Play in a Easts design with black and Maroon & White

And be called the Northern Roosters

Relicare Easts LC to Woy Woy

reanimate

Bench
i think the problems ran a lot deeper than the name!
Nrl was,dumb as dogsht for letting them abandon gosford and skirt back to manly under their old brand. Should have been “make it work or the license goes out to tender.”
Gosford and the CC is a secondary concern to the North Shore. The tragedy of the merge, its demise and the idiocy that has followed is what has happened to the North Shore and the follow on effects. Having the Northern Beaches and North Shore fall under the control of one party is what should have been forced to work.

Who said anything about poor ratings in Newcastle?

The Knights aren't a high rating team across Australia because Sydneysiders couldn't care less about a regional NSW team and neither could Queenslanders. Cowboys pull good ratings in Brisbane because Queenslanders band together and the club has a large network of supporters in SEQ. That's why the Knights and Raiders don't draw on FTA, but especially the Knights because it has never been linked to either Brisbane or Sydney. Raiders have a small connection with Brisbane due to their links with Souths in the 80s. Melbourne draw well in Brisbane due to their links with Queensland talent.

Manly draw shit ratings because they're the smallest club in Sydney and have never tried to expand their footprint outside of the peninsula. Decades of being obnoxious elitists who think they're too good for anyone outside of their little catchment has finally caught up with them in today's global world. If the club had have tried to expand back in 2003 then they may very well draw more viewers across the country. In these threads we have Manly fans and you running around trying to keep the Sea Eagles an exclusive team for elitists from the peninsula. It's the definition of insanity.

Billythekid

First Grade

The Knights aren't a high rating team across Australia because Sydneysiders couldn't care less about a regional NSW team and neither could Queenslanders. Cowboys pull good ratings in Brisbane because Queenslanders band together and the club has a large network of supporters in SEQ. That's why the Knights and Raiders don't draw on FTA, but especially the Knights because it has never been linked to either Brisbane or Sydney. Raiders have a small connection with Brisbane due to their links with Souths in the 80s. Melbourne draw well in Brisbane due to their links with Queensland talent.

Manly draw shit ratings because they're the smallest club in Sydney and have never tried to expand their footprint outside of the peninsula. Decades of being obnoxious elitists who think they're too good for anyone outside of their little catchment has finally caught up with them in today's global world. If the club had have tried to expand back in 2003 then they may very well draw more viewers across the country. In these threads we have Manly fans and you running around trying to keep the Sea Eagles an exclusive team for elitists from the peninsula. It's the definition of insanity.

The NRL and 9 have trained people not to watch clubs like the raiders or knights. I don't remember there being this big of a gap in ratings between teams back in the 90s. Over time we have more and more pushed clubs like the raiders off FTA and naturally that leads to less interest in those clubs.

Have a look at what happens to sport like rugby and soccer with less FTA exposure. The same thing has happened to certain NRL clubs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The NRL and 9 have trained people not to watch clubs like the raiders or knights. I don't remember there being this big of a gap in ratings between teams back in the 90s. Over time we have more and more pushed clubs like the raiders off FTA and naturally that leads to less interest in those clubs.

Have a look at what happens to sport like rugby and soccer with less FTA exposure. The same thing has happened to certain NRL clubs.

next fta deal the nrl should tell whoever gets it that Thursday and Friday nights they can choose fixture but the Sunday game will be equally shared out. It impacts clubs ability to attract sponsors if they are never on fta.

Cowboys weren't broadcast into Sydney on Ch9 until 2004. I think Ray Warren referred to us as "the other mob".

MugaB

Coach

You did re-read you piss take on the knights, with your dumb graph of marketability, crapping on clubs on recent form, when you're own club had done sweet fk all for two decades before getting a GF win, and current their stagnate form.
Metrics are stupid, everyone hates Manly in sydney, thats why they dont rate, but there has always been a villain, problem is the stigma of why they were the villian in the first place is still around, as the Rich Club buying up all Westies, the silvertails... that mantle of poaching and being the "rich get away with it" is at the roosters, and the fibros VS sivertails, isn't around, not in regards to Tigers V Sea Eagles anyways.
Success goes in cycles, Panthers are in the limelight now, in a decade it will be the Sharks

You did re-read you piss take on the knights, with your dumb graph of marketability, crapping on clubs on recent form, when you're own club had done sweet fk all for two decades before getting a GF win, and current their stagnate form.
Metrics are stupid, everyone hates Manly in sydney, thats why they dont rate, but there has always been a villain, problem is the stigma of why they were the villian in the first place is still around, as the Rich Club buying up all Westies, the silvertails... that mantle of poaching and being the "rich get away with it" is at the roosters, and the fibros VS sivertails, isn't around, not in regards to Tigers V Sea Eagles anyways.
Success goes in cycles, Panthers are in the limelight now, in a decade it will be the Sharks
Cowboys have drawn well in Queensland since the mid-00s. They didn't get a chance to rate on Ch9 before the end of 2004 because arrogant wankers from Sydney refused to broadcast them on Ch9. Since they've been broadcast nationally they've become a powerhouse.
The Broncos vs Cowboys game has drawn higher ratings and attendances than any Sydney derby that isn't played on a holiday. Cowboys are still outrating Sydney teams, despite finishing in the bottom 4 of the ladder each year since 2017. Say what you like, we're one of the NRL's most valuable teams. The Cowboys are an example ot why Sydney people shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the decision making process. They're too stupid and narrow-minded to see that the world doesn't begin and end in Sydney.

If Manly isn't watched because it is hated then you've just explained why they should be kicked out!

I know you're passionate about Sydney, but you need to sit back and look at the numbers. The ratings and attendances prove that there isn't enough demand for RL content in Sydney to justify having 9 teams. Without the annual grant it would be even more dire for Sydney's strugglers.