What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origin Eligibility changes

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
ARLC/NRL showing that it is about as professional as the Bilambil summer touch footy competition with their comical decide-after-the-fact rulings that contrast with just about every other major sporting governing body in the world. :lol:

This wasn't an "after the fact" ruling. That statement was made by the ARLC at the time of the rule change and after Sims had already represented QLD at Under 18s level, had been selected for QLD at U20s level and had played his first game of senior footy for a QLD club.

Tweed Titan

Bench
Sims' first senior game was for a Brisbane team.

OK I think you are missing the point.

To put that in perspective that would be like saying Player X played his first senior club match for Man Utd, so he can only play senior soccer for England. (False)

It works off which nations/states you are eligible for (For example, Player X could have been born in Portugal to English parent(s), so could be eligible for both England & Portugal.)

Say Player X plays for England U18's he can still be capped for Portugal's senior team. The fact that he played or plays for England U'18's or Man Utd does not force him to play for England. If he is capped by Portugal's senior team first he is now only eligible for Portugal in the future.

Point being your first senior cap is where eligibility is locked in, not junior rep or the club played for, if you are eligible for multiple nations/states (Which we all know Korbin is only eligible for one state anyway)

Last edited:

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
OK I think you are missing the point.

To put that in perspective that would be like saying Player X played his first senior club match for Man Utd, so he can only play senior soccer for England. (False)

It works off which nations/states you are eligible for (For example, Player X could have been born in Portugal to English parent(s), so could be eligible for both England & Portugal.)

Say Player X plays for England U18's he can still be capped for Portugal's senior team. The fact that he played or plays for England U'18's or Man Utd is does not force him to play for England. If he is capped by Portugal's senior team he is now only eligible for Portugal in the future.

Point being your first senior cap is where eligibility is locked in, not junior rep or the club played for, if you are eligible for multiple nations/states (Which we all know Korbin is only eligible for one state anyway)

You do know Korbin Sims is a Rugby League player right?

Tweed Titan

Bench
This wasn't an "after the fact" ruling. That statement was made by the ARLC at the time of the rule change and after Sims had already represented QLD at Under 18s level, had been selected for QLD at U20s level and had played his first game of senior footy for a QLD club.

This still contradicts the fact every other sport other than RL does not care for which junior rep teams you make. Final eligibility is determined when you pull on the senior state/national jersey.

I agree the changes shouldn't be retrospective, but "retrospective" should only be those that have already played at the highest level, not some "might make it one day" camp/junior game.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
I'm not here to get into a pissing comp but it is given as an example or analogy to demonstrate how illogical the ARLC's interpretation of player eligibility is.

As illogical as you may find RL compared to Soccer, your point is irrelevant to the discussion. What works for FIFA does not necessarily work for ARL.

Again, this is not the ARLC's interpretation of eligibility - this is the ARLC recognising that to make a retrospective decision to swap Sims from QLD to NSW, would be far more illogical than you believe this decision is.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Sometimes I think us fans have more of an emotional attachment to our SOO teams than the players do. Hearing the comments from Korbin centering around "career" etc, not identifying as a Qlder and the conflicting stories regarding GI as a kid has convinced me more of this.

davi

Juniors
Jason Taumalolo will not be eligible to play for QLD. There was some talk about loosening up the rules that forbid players who have played internationally for tier one nations (England or New Zealand) from also playing State of Origin. Taumalolo has lived in Queensland since he was 13 but has represented New Zealand on the international scene.

I support this decision. State of Origin should be State of Origin continually water down the restrictions turns QLD and NSW into an NRL All stars teams.

Gus Gould will be angry though, as he wants to develop the international game further. He has a point, that Tonga team that beat Australia was hardly a massive upset. As you would hardly call the players that played in the game for Tonga second string NRL players (Michael Jennings, Andrew Fifita) who both benefited from playing state of origin football.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-20...-maroons/afd084fa-9331-4243-a794-2f214da06f55

The_Frog

First Grade
Gus Gould will be angry though, as he wants to develop the international game further. He has a point, that Tonga team that beat Australia was hardly a massive upset. As you would hardly call the players that played in the game for Tonga second string NRL players (Michael Jennings, Andrew Fifita) who both benefited from playing state of origin football.
Gus wants players raised in NSW or Qld to be able to play for those states even if they choose to play for a tier 2 nation.

RedVee

First Grade
It’s only a bit harsh for players that grew up in another state. It isn’t likely they will have a strong State team anytime soon. I’d like there to be an appeal process for them. Just a ‘like to have’ not a ‘have to have’.

Also, seeing this stuff has reared up again, isn’t it the responsibility of the State bodies to ensure they only pick eligible players?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Play 3 years or more U18 in a state thats who your eligible for.
Pick whichever national team you want to represent but can only change every 3-4 years national rep. choice.

I'm assuming we'll be having these same discussions in the years to come.

It’s like the turd that won’t flush…

I honestly get sick of hearing about it every year. It’s usually “slow news day” stuff the journos pull out from the bottom draw when needed.

Rugby league is full of rules that aren’t enforced, and bent / overlooked / interpreted / changed…. It can’t decide where it stands or wants to be…

But surely it’s pretty simple to stick to a simple eligibility rule for State of Origin eligibility… and leave it there…

That said - I disagree that a player can represent NSW or Qld and play for Samoa/Tonga etc. Why these countries and not NZ, England too? Tier 1/2… what BS… In my mind, if you play for an Australian State you play for Australia and Australia only.