What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 6 2021 - General Non-Warriors Thread

Blair

Coach
As we've discussed in the 'first coach to go' thread, the Sharks have made their move!

Tonight, though, it's the Broncos at home to the Panthers. A few years ago and this could've been a grand final preview.

Friday night, the Knights meet the Sharks, two middling sides, and one with a departed coach already. There's no sign of SJ yet.

The main game on Friday is a definite grand final preview (if one of them upsets the Panthers in a GF Qualifier!) with Melbourne at home to the Roosters. Both sides just seem to have fantastic depth. A superstar falls, and a future superstar takes his place.

Saturday and it's the 'high-flying' Eagles against the Titans. Has Dessie got two-in-a-row from the boys? Or was last week just a given against a dud opposition? The Rabbitohs should shut the Tigers out and then it's the Raiders v the Eels in a game to look forward to. Both of those ambitious sides are coming off losses last week.

Sunday has the Dragons - who look bloody good lately - against a flat-looking Warriors down in the 'gong. How much are the Warriors missing Mt Smart? It's hard to say, because we were so good last year away from home, and we've been so disappointing at home, a lot. On balance though, you'd agree that every side needs its home-ground advantage.

The round closes out with the Cows and Bulldogs. Back to back wins for Payten and things might look much better up there. The Dogs do have a win in them though.

Enjoy.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
TJ Peranara apparently considering a switch to Rugby League with the Roosters.

Pretty crazy if true. He still has at least 3 or 4 good years left, might be worth a sneaky look for the Warriors too

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Immortal
Is it Uncle Henry? TJ would go ok, I think, why aren’t the Warriors in on this, halves or 9 he could go well

interested in Penrith this week, some negative press around arrogance etc... nothing in it imo but how will they respond

Izz

Bench
Brisbane made a game of it but lacked execution.

Cleary jr is a great half. Always in the thick of it, propelling the team along if they're going well, fighting to lift them if they're not.

Big Marn

Juniors
Brisbane made a game of it but lacked execution.

Cleary jr is a great half. Always in the thick of it, propelling the team along if they're going well, fighting to lift them if they're not.
248 fantasy points for me. too bad the rest of my team is shite.....

TheDMC

Bench
Good effort by the Broncos. We need to play with that intensity to beat St George, and better execution.

JJ

Immortal
The Broncos should be competing like that every week - on paper they still have plenty in that pack, decent talent elsewhere, and with time Dearden could become very good...

Lot of parallels with us, tbh

Panthers are the real deal - not at their best, won against a team that played their best match of the year - suspect both coaches will take positives

SmashEmBro

Juniors
The Broncos should be competing like that every week - on paper they still have plenty in that pack

They have a top pack - Pangai Jnr, Haas, Lodge, Flegler, Cardigan and Riki are all top forwards, if not a little young. Turpin is a good young hooker too and Croft/Dearden are far from the worst halves in the comp, so I really struggle to see how they’re doing as bad as they are

JJ

Immortal
They have a top pack - Pangai Jnr, Haas, Lodge, Flegler, Cardigan and Riki are all top forwards, if not a little young. Turpin is a good young hooker too and Croft/Dearden are far from the worst halves in the comp, so I really struggle to see how they’re doing as bad as they are
Me too, but I love the bottom of the table atm :joy:

shiznit

Coach
Is it Uncle Henry? TJ would go ok, I think, why aren’t the Warriors in on this, halves or 9 he could go well

interested in Penrith this week, some negative press around arrogance etc... nothing in it imo but how will they respond

very astute from the Roosters if true... TJ could potentially be a good hooker.

He has almost a Robbie Farah type of dynamic to him... except probably even better on attack.

my question will be can his body hold up to the defensive workload of a hooker.

On attack though with the extra room around the play the ball/ruck he could absolute shine.

I doubt he would go though... if NZR don’t want him you’d think there would be Rugby clubs all through Japan and Europe who would be throwing CRAZY money at him.

mind you... I don’t know him personally but I know a few people who do and they say he’s a different type of dude... real thoughtful.. quite often abit Woke which pisses people off... :joy::joy:

maybe he looks at it as a way of challenging himself.

Blair

Coach
TJ Peranara apparently considering a switch to Rugby League with the Roosters.

Pretty crazy if true. He still has at least 3 or 4 good years left, might be worth a sneaky look for the Warriors too

My Roosters mate told me this today while I was working at the supermarket checkout. I always make an extra point in checking his bags, you know, just to make sure the Chooks' salary cap isn't been hidden in there.

Blair

Coach
Me too, but I love the bottom of the table atm :joy:

The competition needed the Broncos to win last night though. I felt sick when I heard about Cleary's clutch plays.

I do think the Panthers' players might be getting a bit up themselves, turning into the new Melbourne even!

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
Thw competition needed the Broncos to win last night though. I felt sick when I heard about Cleary's clutch plays.

I do think the Panthers' players might be getting a bit up themselves, turning into the new Melbourne even!

They’re very young and very good, growing up ain’t easy

JJ

Immortal
very astute from the Roosters if true... TJ could potentially be a good hooker.

He has almost a Robbie Farah type of dynamic to him... except probably even better on attack.

my question will be can his body hold up to the defensive workload of a hooker.

On attack though with the extra room around the play the ball/ruck he could absolute shine.

I doubt he would go though... if NZR don’t want him you’d think there would be Rugby clubs all through Japan and Europe who would be throwing CRAZY money at him.

mind you... I don’t know him personally but I know a few people who do and they say he’s a different type of dude... real thoughtful.. quite often abit Woke which pisses people off... :joy::joy:

maybe he looks at it as a way of challenging himself.
He might not want to head to Europe or stay away longer?

Different kind of fish, and league in the family, and it’s a challenge...

SmashEmBro

Juniors
He might not want to head to Europe or stay away longer?

Maybe he can have these challenges from the comfort of New Zealand tho...just in Auckland perhaps?

Warriors could be a good option, closer to home, essentially has all of this year and nek year with Egan there so no real pressure to hit the ground running. Would be fast tracked into the leadership group I would imagine.
And, we’d probably pay him more haha.

How much would you give him?

JJ

Immortal
Maybe he can have these challenges from the comfort of New Zealand tho...just in Auckland perhaps?

Warriors could be a good option, closer to home, essentially has all of this year and nek year with Egan there so no real pressure to hit the ground running. Would be fast tracked into the leadership group I would imagine.
And, we’d probably pay him more haha.

How much would you give him?
Nobody can pay more than the Roosters...

but yeah, I’d have done everything to get Burton, and I’d have a go at Reynolds and TJ

Blair

Coach
Nobody can pay more than the Roosters...

but yeah, I’d have done everything to get Burton, and I’d have a go at Reynolds and TJ

I'm just sitting here, racking my brain, trying to think of the Warriors last All Black recruit? I'm stuck in ancient Warrior history, the '90s, with Kirwan, Carter, Ellis and Ridge...

Izz

Bench
I'm just sitting here, racking my brain, trying to think of the Warriors last All Black recruit? I'm stuck in ancient Warrior history, the '90s, with Kirwan, Carter, Ellis and Ridge...
Sharky Robinson got 1 cap for us back in 2003...

JJ

Immortal
Innes? At least he was in his prime?

Latest posts