What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adam Clune

Illusion

Bench
If he wants the starting 7 jersey he’s probably going to have to go but he could possibly become a 9 or 14 for us.
If he stays then we have the option of Hunt to 9 if McCullough has an injury .... with him we have options Norman has an injury Hunt to 5/8.... I'm just thinking we will have injuries and with him we can swap and change ......

giboz71

First Grade
Clune is a very intelligent player. He just doesn't have the natural talent of the elite halves in the game. His fundamentals however are outstanding, kicking and passing always accurate, He's actually likely better than Hunt in this respect.

He's actually the perfect back up in our system, and given we have Elliott and Hook running our attack, he just slots in and follows the plan, and we don't lose a whole lot. He was great against Parra.

I hope he hangs around but I realise he has to go elsewhere if he wants to start.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Clune is a very intelligent player. He just doesn't have the natural talent of the elite halves in the game. His fundamentals however are outstanding, kicking and passing always accurate, He's actually likely better than Hunt in this respect.

He's actually the perfect back up in our system, and given we have Elliott and Hook running our attack, he just slots in and follows the plan, and we don't lose a whole lot. He was great against Parra.

I hope he hangs around but I realise he has to go elsewhere if he wants to start.
Just wonder if he’s actually motivated to go someplace else. He’s got his Tertiary Education tucked away and i get the impression that football is a secondary motivation. Maybe he may be content playing the role he currently is; could be wrong too!

giboz71

First Grade
Just wonder if he’s actually motivated to go someplace else. He’s got his Tertiary Education tucked away and i get the impression that football is a secondary motivation. Maybe he may be content playing the role he currently is; could be wrong too!

That's what I'm hoping. He's got his career after football to worry about money, better placed than most guys.

With all due respect, the teams that will likely give him a start, will be the lesser teams like the Cows. Not sure if Robson would be totally happy there, where he loses most weeks.

If he sees things are on the up at the Dragons, it might motivate him to stay.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Wants to play first grade, doesn't state in what position and doesn't state regular first grade either. Obviously he'd want an extension of contract and to be in the mix is more his go rather than demanding and leave kicking and screaming.

He's an intelligent guy, he knows Bud and Amone are favoured to take over from Norman and eventually Hunt. If he can come into the team as Blacksafake said as a back up nine or general 14, I think he'd be happy with that.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Agree..although..@ the moment the club is preparing a pathway for Sullivan and Armone in the future...

Norman may be re-signed on a 1 year deal....Clune may have to eventually look elsewhere if he is after a starting spot. Unfortunate, but we are stacked for Depth in the Halves.
Norman is finally playing well but I think he’s surplus to requirements in 2022. Don’t forget Bird can also easily play 6 if Sullivan picks up an injury.

Bird is playing very well in the centre’s but he’s also holding back Max Feagai who’s our long term left centre.

Given our depth I’d prefer to let Norman go & use that money to pick up a utility who can cover dummy half should McCullough get injured.

Dufty is where the real dilemma is, his form warrants an extension but everyone knows Ramsey is the long term fullback with Matt Feagai taking his wing spot to play with his brother.

I guess it’s good to have depth & options but there’s a few tough decisions to be made. In an ideal world I’d like Hook extended so he’s got the security of being able to build long term success with our juniors rather than short to success because of his 2yr contract.

possm

Coach

If Hunt keeps playing well when he returns, there will be clubs that will come to us asking if we will release. They will want him and if he wants to go, let him go on the condition that is contract is terminated with no subsidy from the Dragons.

With Norman and Hunt gone, we would have close to 2m to upgrade our team.

possm

Coach
Norman is finally playing well but I think he’s surplus to requirements in 2022. Don’t forget Bird can also easily play 6 if Sullivan picks up an injury.

Bird is playing very well in the centre’s but he’s also holding back Max Feagai who’s our long term left centre.

Given our depth I’d prefer to let Norman go & use that money to pick up a utility who can cover dummy half should McCullough get injured.

Dufty is where the real dilemma is, his form warrants an extension but everyone knows Ramsey is the long term fullback with Matt Feagai taking his wing spot to play with his brother.

I guess it’s good to have depth & options but there’s a few tough decisions to be made. In an ideal world I’d like Hook extended so he’s got the security of being able to build long term success with our juniors rather than short to success because of his 2yr contract.
Bird at 6 with Sullivan at 7 makes a lot of sense to me. I am also looking forward to seeing Sloan, Schiller, the Feagai brothers and Amon all pushing for a first grade spot from reserve grade.

giboz71

First Grade
Why the sudden need to push for our juniors to play FG all at once? Brisbane tried to do that, got rid of all their veterans and let the kids run the show. They may get consecutive spoons because of it.

Hook has shown he can transition juniors, he did that very well at Penrith. But some astute veteran buys can go a long way as well.

At this stage the way the side is going, I don't see our young guys pushing anyone out any time soon unless there is an injury. This includes Sullivan for Norman.

Dragon David

First Grade
Why the sudden need to push for our juniors to play FG all at once? Brisbane tried to do that, got rid of all their veterans and let the kids run the show. They may get consecutive spoons because of it.

Hook has shown he can transition juniors, he did that very well at Penrith. But some astute veteran buys can go a long way as well.

At this stage the way the side is going, I don't see our young guys pushing anyone out any time soon unless there is an injury. This includes Sullivan for Norman.

I agree giboz71. I am sure that Hook has not lost sight of the juniors and their potential. They will have the opportunity to be playing in the top grade when the need arises but as our current 21 have been doing a good job, best to keep the juniors in the development stages for the time being and remain patient.

TruSaint

Referee

Yep.

The young guys will get their chance. That's footy. Injury, players leaving, suspensions etc.

They will then need to earn their spot.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Wants to play first grade, doesn't state in what position and doesn't state regular first grade either. Obviously he'd want an extension of contract and to be in the mix is more his go rather than demanding and leave kicking and screaming.

He's an intelligent guy, he knows Bud and Amone are favoured to take over from Norman and eventually Hunt. If he can come into the team as Blacksafake said as a back up nine or general 14, I think he'd be happy with that.

Hes a bit of a bolter. He’d be unreal at 14. Very calm head.

Dragon David

First Grade
Hes a bit of a bolter. He’d be unreal at 14. Very calm head.
Because Clune is the studious type of guy if he was the 14, he can be studying where the weaknesses are in the opposition and also their strengths during a game, so he can adapt his play when he comes off the bench. He would be a good utility. Just needs some strengthening and a little beefing up.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

Remember the 2nd half of the charity shield when we put all our juniors on & got rolled by Souffs b side?

Good times..

Juniors
I dont think clune is anything but a half. Add to that Hooks power style game i dont see him getting a bench spot. Not sure if he would start at any other club either and would find himself in the same position. Hopefully he resigns very classy back up.
Not sold on all the love for the feagia boys. Average trials and no where near the standard the first graders have.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I dont think clune is anything but a half. Add to that Hooks power style game i dont see him getting a bench spot. Not sure if he would start at any other club either and would find himself in the same position. Hopefully he resigns very classy back up.
Not sold on all the love for the feagia boys. Average trials and no where near the standard the first graders have.

I agree, but.....our first graders trial standards weren’t exactly first grade standard either.

They’ll improve. They’ll have to.

2010Dragons

Bench
We had Billy Smith and Mark Shulman back in the 70’s
And Mark won us the 1977 grand final.... I was there!!!
Adam must stay to understudy Ben and history will repeat. 2021 could be the year.

I’m hearing the sharks are circling ADAM !!!
Chad Townsend to the cowboys

slippery5

Juniors
We had Billy Smith and Mark Shulman back in the 70’s
And Mark won us the 1977 grand final.... I was there!!!
Adam must stay to understudy Ben and history will repeat. 2021 could be the year.

I’m hearing the sharks are circling ADAM !!!
Chad Townsend to the cowboys
If you were there, you would have seen Shulman taken off in the first half of 9 all draw, & then sat on the bench due to injury in the replay 22-0. so he didn't really win it for us. LOL
I know, I was on the front page of the telegraph the next day !!!!!!