What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

T-Boon

Coach
Yes we should. But Izzy is past it and would offer very little in my opinion other then headlines much like the ones the Roosters got(without the feel good side of things) when they signed SBW last year, but just as unimpressive on the field. Pop gun impact.

Next suggestion pls? Hopefully you have one that is viable and actually good. ;)

Semi

TheRam

Coach
If you shift Gutherson to 5/8 and Brown to centre it may increase speed of the centres. As I understand it Brown is supposed to be fast though he doesnt look it to me.

He is not fast over the first 5m. That is our main problem. Speed from a standing start so to speak. We have absolutely none.

We need real speed that burns players in those first few steps. Look at Fergo for instance. He is very fast, but not off the mark like other speedsters.

TheRam

Coach
Gutho could make great centre, maybe SOO wasn't the ideal place and time to start his career in that position

Again, no speed. We are trying to address our lack of pace. Gutho would struggle in the centres because he would be very pedestrian and you are taking away his greatest strength in his superhuman and superior fitness to any other player in the NRL and sticking him in a very one dimensional roll. Lunacy.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We need to ask ourselves what would the Roosters do and do that. You are talking like what would the Tigers do.
I would go after only super stars.
The Roosters don't only sign superstars. Just like the Storm, they also poach the best juniors from other clubs and then 'develop' them.

TheRam

Coach

Love it, but unless the Australian Government changed its tax laws, we can't come anywhere near what the French can offer him. He is gone from ever playing for us again I'm afraid. Unless he comes for one last hurrah when he is at the very end of his career and well and truly past his best.

Next suggestion?

T-Boon

Coach
Love it, but unless the Australian Government changed its tax laws, we can't come anywhere near what the French can offer him. He is gone from ever playing for us again I'm afraid. Unless he comes for one last hurrah when he is at the very end of his career and well and truly past his best.

Next suggestion?

The French season only over laps with RL for half the season, the Roosters would get him signed up and persuade the NRL to have some loop hole to allow it. Their season ends in about 6 weeks.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Again, no speed. We are trying to address our lack of pace. Gutho would struggle in the centres because he would be very pedestrian and you are taking away his greatest strength in his superhuman and superior fitness to any other player in the NRL and sticking him in a very one dimensional roll. Lunacy.

I'm not taking away anything, and I'm not advocating for shifting him, I'm pointing out that maybe a debut at centre in the toughest series in the world of league isn't really the best place to make that judgement.

He played "centre' when we won the nines and was one of our best, so no, he wouldn't be pedestrian at all.

Again though I aint advocating moving him, fullback is his best position.

T-Boon

Coach

Next suggestion?

Bevan French

TheRam

Coach
The French season only over laps with RL for half the season, the Roosters would get him signed up and persuade the NRL to have some loop hole to allow it.

Well if he were available for the business end of the season, and now with the later deadline that has been introduced, then that is a distinct possibility. But would our coach be for such a thing? Also you need to take into account what would that do to morale in regards to Fergo or Sivo, if they are aware that their positions are temporary?

And don't tell me you would play him or either of them at centre. None of them are proven centres in the NRL and in fact defensive liabilities.

But overall a good suggestion as long as Semi could hit the ground running from the get go, considering he has been out of the game for so long. Remember he wouldn't of had any off season or to many games to play himself into fitness and NRL match readiness whatsoever. But seeing it is such a short stint and would cost not much more then around $300K, it might be worth the risk and gamble.

TheRam

Coach
I'm not taking away anything, and I'm not advocating for shifting him, I'm pointing out that maybe a debut at centre in the toughest series in the world of league isn't really the best place to make that judgement.

He played "centre' when we won the nines and was one of our best, so no, he wouldn't be pedestrian at all.

Again though I aint advocating moving him, fullback is his best position.

Centre in the 9's isn't like centre in the NRL. It is more a roving type of game, which suits his skill set perfectly.

But if you aren't advocating moving him, end of story.

TheRam

Coach
Bevan French

Only if he were to come in knowing that he isn't the preferred fullback and willing to take his chances at not being one ofg the best 2 wingers in the team.

In other words, he will need to prove he offers more then what either Sivo or Fergo do right now. If it is for this season, I would be looking at a centre. If it is from next season, then I would be looking for either centre or winger.

TheRam

Coach
I think Bevan French would be a super star under the 6 again and current scrum rules.

That is opinion and can't be backed up with real facts. It may end up being true, but remember there are two sides of the ball he needs to play in last time he was here he was found wanting on both sides. The only way we will ever know is if we took a GAMBLE on him and he on us.

I don't think he would want to leave a secure environment to come back and play in a comp that he will have no certainty at all whether he can make it as a regular 1st grader, unless he was coming home for personal reasons.

TheRam

Coach
The more I think about it, the Semi suggestion has great appeal. We would get him at a song of what he would be genuinely worth, being such a short period contract and the up side would be enormous if he were to play like he used to.

If only our coach/recruitment team could think like this. But unfortunately BA is very conservative and unless it is forced upon him, I don't believe this will never happen.

Remember, V'Landys loves the idea of bringing genuine superstar talent back home and into the NRL from overseas, so I don't think that there would be any resistance from ARLC headquarters on this.