What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd6: Eels v Raiders GAME DAY thread @ Cbus Stadium 17/4/21

hindy111

Post Whore
The thing I love about Mahoney is that he puts 100% effort into the 1%er plays - diving on loose balls, not stopping play until the ref blows his whistle, etc.

That, and he is a demon defender, with an astute kicking game, crisp passing game, and a little terrier when he runs the ball.

We have a few likeable characters in our side. He showed glimpses last year but then he would follow with 3 nothing games.
This year it feels like he is backing it up every week. He used to miss 7 tackles a game. Now makes 50+ and misses none.
He is a great ball player and read the game well. Defense is great now and his long kicking games brilliant.
His running game has come on but still needs a bit of work. Last thing to add is a short kicking game. Masters the last two and he will be best hooker in the game.

Eelementary

Post Whore
We have a few likeable characters in our side. He showed glimpses last year but then he would follow with 3 nothing games.
This year it feels like he is backing it up every week. He used to miss 7 tackles a game. Now makes 50+ and misses none.
He is a great ball player and read the game well. Defense is great now and his long kicking games brilliant.
His running game has come on but still needs a bit of work. Last thing to add is a short kicking game. Masters the last two and he will be best hooker in the game.

I think he has slowly been adding extra strings to his bow, which is pretty clever.

I think he's a great player.

Bandwagon

Staff member
The thing I love about Mahoney is that he puts 100% effort into the 1%er plays - diving on loose balls, not stopping play until the ref blows his whistle, etc.

That, and he is a demon defender, with an astute kicking game, crisp passing game, and a little terrier when he runs the ball.

Yeah, Mahoney's game is coming along nicely. He's improving year on year. He has a bit of Thurston about his game when it comes to effort on effort and not giving up on the play.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Yeah, Mahoney's game is coming along nicely. He's improving year on year. He has a bit of Thurston about his game when it comes to effort on effort and not giving up on the play.

Between him and Gutherson, we have two very strong leaders, I reckon.

We are pretty lucky.

Tooooks

Bench
Papa playing out of his preferred position was outstanding again. I watched Wiremu play reserve grade for a couple of games and thought he looked really promising. Glad he’s been given a run in firsts. He’s going to be a beast.

I had a bad feeling all week we’d be beaten but that was a top effort all round. We just need to play to our strengths. It ain’t pretty but who cares?

Eelementary

Post Whore
I seen him in NSW cup. He has a huge motor. Can play big mins. It takes forwards 30+ games to get up to speed with NRL. I reckon he could be a gooden.

I reckon you might be right, mate - I was impressed that Greig didn't shy away from work.

A lot of young forwards want to run the ball a lot, but can shy away from their jobs in defence.

Greig looked happy to look for tackles to make.

He could be a great player some time in the not distant future.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I also want to shout out Moses - he understandably cops a lot of criticism because of his erratic play.

But I thought he was outstanding tonight - his kicks were on point, his running game looked better than it has in years, and he defended well.

I am a fan of Will Smith, but I'm glad he didn't try ro overplay his hand - he let Moses run the team, and we looked slick.

Tooooks

Bench
I also want to shout out Moses - he understandably cops a lot of criticism because of his erratic play.

But I thought he was outstanding tonight - his kicks were on point, his running game looked better than it has in years, and he defended well.

I am a fan of Will Smith, but I'm glad he didn't try ro overplay his hand - he let Moses run the team, and we looked slick.

That’s always been the frustration with him though. We all know how good he can be. It’s only the lack of consistency preventing him from being the best half in the game in my opinion.

That’s always been the frustration with him though. We all know how good he can be. It’s only the lack of consistency preventing him from being the best half in the game in my opinion.
Maybe he needs to be weaned off that rugby league whisperer guy, like he cut others out when he improved a couple of years ago. That guy might be fine for a genuine superstar like Tedesco but if he's telling Moses the same sort of stuff it might not be helpful. I'm not actually sure he still meets that guy.

Chipmunk

Coach
Sure Reed had a great game, and I certainly don't want to be critical, but he made too poor decisions tonight that could've been costly.

In the first half Cummins clearly called him out there times and he still made the tackle. The Raiders got a set restart and scored 3 tackles later.

He also kicked on the first tackle after we got a six again and it went dead and they got a 7 tackle set. This didn't turn out to be costly, but it's actions like that, which can turn out to be costly.

Again, not trying to be critical, but if he wants to be a great player he needs to learn to make the right decisions in both of those situations.

Kornstar

Coach
Sure Reed had a great game, and I certainly don't want to be critical, but he made too poor decisions tonight that could've been costly.

In the first half Cummins clearly called him out there times and he still made the tackle. The Raiders got a set restart and scored 3 tackles later.

He also kicked on the first tackle after we got a six again and it went dead and they got a 7 tackle set. This didn't turn out to be costly, but it's actions like that, which can turn out to be costly.

Again, not trying to be critical, but if he wants to be a great player he needs to learn to make the right decisions in both of those situations.

Agree on the first one but the six again was called so late that he was already committed to the kick.

Useless Cummins didn’t have a clue that it was 6 again so he took ages to call it.

Bandwagon

Staff member
That second kick was on, poorly executed. It sits in the in-goal and it's a brilliant heads up play.

Gazzamatta

Coach
You fu*kers better lay off The Lane Train. He was fantastic tonight. One of my favorite players.
Emu Greig. Go boy. An inspired signing and selection.
Rheed back to his best d/h form tonight. Makes a huge difference.
Fu*k Will Smith off NOW. Two of his kick were potential Raiders trys. What did I f'n tell you BA!
Moses great game.
Papa. Wow! Ken Thornett Medal heading his way.
Marata, Junior, RCG. Beasts.
Brown.......... "B". Has been better.
Fergo better but always a concern. Sivo. Has been worse.
Gutho. What a f'n machine.
A great team effort. My boy was in the crowd and had a ball. 15 years. Fu*k you, you clap happy, Pricky loving, losers.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
My Todger is red raw. now i know how Hindy feels after a Penrith win.

Best game Moses has played since 2019, he kicked them to death.