What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd6: Eels v Raiders GAME DAY thread @ Cbus Stadium 17/4/21

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Papali'i, what can you say, best NRL signing this year, its the little things he does, by far the quickest play the ball at Parra

Smith mistake free, first time ever I reckon, seems to have matured a bit and good game from a back up player

Lane has put a few good games together now, much more consistent

Moses much improved but need more of this, not just one game now and then

Middles were great, back to their early season form, but fmd I dont know how a player like Greig can make it to the NRL and be so unfit, he's only good for 5 min bursts atm, needs to lose some weight, losing weight has not harmed Paulo's game.

Very happy with Niokore again, not sure I'd want Blake back at centre

Gutho was Gutho

IFR33K

Coach
Papali'i, what can you say, best NRL signing this year, its the little things he does, by far the quickest play the ball at Parra

Smith mistake free, first time ever I reckon, seems to have matured a bit and good game from a back up player

Lane has put a few good games together now, much more consistent

Moses much improved but need more of this, not just one game now and then

Middles were great, back to their early season form, but fmd I dont know how a player like Greig can make it to the NRL and be so unfit, he's only good for 5 min bursts atm, needs to lose some weight, losing weight has not harmed Paulo's game.

Very happy with Niokore again, not sure I'd want Blake back at centre

Gutho was Gutho

Marata was also awesome. Made many trampling runs, he’s another that by far has outplayed the player he’s replaced. If anyone still thinks Marata is only defending better then waqa because he’s got Drown inside him has rocks in their head. Last night Marata had will smith inside him, and the edge still remained composed and got the job done.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Smith tried his absolute best to fu*k up with those two kicks which easily could have led to Raiders trys. If they would have hit the lead our usual panic may have set in. We will never know but what is painfully obvious is Will Smith believes he is a far better player than he is. Rankin for mine every time.

hindy111

Post Whore
Was Greig that unfit? It is hard for forwards to get up to speed with the NRL.
In NSW cup he plays long mins. But a lot of these guys would have had minimal footy last season. It will hurt bigger guys a lot more.
I do not see him playing a lot of NRL this season. Most likely will spend his time in NSW cup with the odd bench spot. Pending on injuries and form but he isn't in our best 17. He could leap frog Stone and Hipgrave.
I'd say he will have a big off-season and 2022 is when we will see more of him.

IFR33K

Coach
Was Greig that unfit? It is hard for forwards to get up to speed with the NRL.
In NSW cup he plays long mins. But a lot of these guys would have had minimal footy last season. It will hurt bigger guys a lot more.
I do not see him playing a lot of NRL this season. Most likely will spend his time in NSW cup with the odd bench spot. Pending on injuries and form but he isn't in our best 17. He could leap frog Stone and Hipgrave.
I'd say he will have a big off-season and 2022 is when we will see more of him.

Watching the replay now. They focused on him after about 4/5 minutes game time, and it honestly looks like he’s about to go into cardiac arrest. I think BA is trying to fast track his fitness and use him as a weapon in the later parts of the season.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Greig needs the best pre-season eva, his first spell was 3 mins and he came on for the last 5, or something like that

He made some very good post contact metres with 3 tired Raiders hanging off him in the last few minutes, he certainly has some power in those legs

hindy111

Post Whore
Any news in when Blake returns?
I'd like to see him back. He only played in rnd 1 and for how much of that game he was injured we do not know. The whole side was poor that evening.
I'm hoping he is back next week. Our starting forward pack is playing to many minutes. The sooner we have Matterson and Niakuore available for the pack the better it is long term.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Is he better than Penisini or Lafai ? he might get a gig for NSW Cup at least

his form prior to getting injured wasn't really good enough for him to just walk back into the team imo

Gronk

Staff member
Greig needs the best pre-season eva, his first spell was 3 mins and he came on for the last 5, or something like that

He made some very good post contact metres with 3 tired Raiders hanging off him in the last few minutes, he certainly has some power in those legs
He definitely bent the line and also provided a quick play the ball.

Tooooks

Bench
Yes, Greig needs a good pre-season but I thought he went well in his 13 minute playing time. 5 runs for 50 odd metres with 24pcm (NRL.com stats) with 10 tackles, 0 misses. Just a gut feeling but I reckon he’ll be a really good signing.

Wait til he’s properly fit and sheds a few kg.

IFR33K

Coach

his form prior to getting injured wasn't really good enough for him to just walk back into the team imo

Even fergo seems to be playing better without Blake there. I know he had an average game last week, but he’s scoring tries again. I’d be disappointed if Blake comes back into the team.

hindy111

Post Whore

Have you seen Lafai in NSW cup? He won't ever play NRL again. Lost all his speed. Penisini isn't ready.
Blake is still our most gifted back. His defense against souths in the semi final was brilliant.
Having him out wide also helps attack. Defenses hold off. They understand if he gets room he will beat you. Niakuore is playing well but in attack he is not playing like a centre. He is carting it up like another forward.
Blake brings some x factor, speed and skill. I wouldn't want to judge him on the Broncos game. Sivo and Fergos defense has also looked far better this season then last......

hindy111

Post Whore
Yes, Greig needs a good pre-season but I thought he went well in his 13 minute playing time. 5 runs for 50 odd metres with 24pcm (NRL.com stats) with 10 tackles, 0 misses. Just a gut feeling but I reckon he’ll be a really good signing.

Wait til he’s properly fit and sheds a few kg.

Agree. Plus he has had 4 NSW cup games. How much footy did they play last season? His best bet would be long minutes in NSW cup. 55min to sharpen him up.

On NSW cup. Hollis seems to have dropped down the pecking order. Lets hope he comes goood.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Anyways, if matto is fit next week, does papa move into the middle? We’d be weakened by that move IMO. I think our edge forwards have been decent overall the past couple seasons, but papa has been on a whole new level. Scoring tries and creating opportunities. His defense has been excellent too.

maybe matto when fit could be our ‘utility’. Go with three forwards and matto on the bench. He could fill in, in the forwards, 5/8 and centre if need be. Will smith showed last night how easily he could f^*k things up given an opportunity. And still not convinced on Bryce

What I would do:

11. Papali'i
12. Matterson

17. Lane

That's not a slight on Lane - I think he's doing a great job.

But having someone of Lane's size, and speed, coming off the bench, to run at a tired pack, would be a great sight to see.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Blake brings some x factor, speed and skill. I wouldn't want to judge him on the Broncos game. Sivo and Fergos defense has also looked far better this season then last......

gee I wonder why that is

also wonder if Fergo would prefer Blake or Niokore at centre

Eelementary

Post Whore
Marata was also awesome. Made many trampling runs, he’s another that by far has outplayed the player he’s replaced. If anyone still thinks Marata is only defending better then waqa because he’s got Drown inside him has rocks in their head. Last night Marata had will smith inside him, and the edge still remained composed and got the job done.

I thought Marata was very, very, very good - but he did get beaten for pace, and agility, a few times, which is one thing you'd expect, given he is a forward.

But the best thing about Marata is that he hits, and sticks; Waqa will make good initial contact, and then often fall off, leaving Ferguson to come in and help complete the tackle.