What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd6: Eels v Raiders GAME DAY thread @ Cbus Stadium 17/4/21

now that we've seen what works as opposed to what didn't last week i think we have the blueprint going forward if moses can keep up that kicking prowess every week it will serve us well

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well, you know, funny thing, but the combination of Whighton and Croker were very conspicuous in their absence last night. I shudder to think what Wighton might have done to Waqa Blake.
Well as a half he isn't running at centres, he is running at forwards and maybe his opposing three defender.

hindy111

Post Whore
What a great problem to have.

We have the equal best pack and bench in the NRL when fully fit. The Storm is the other one. That is why if we play our best game and the storm play their best game, I think we are the best two teams in the comp. The problem is for Parra that Moses in particular doesn't play his best game consistently enough and Mahoney doesn't always engage the markers like say Harry does.

I believe we can beat the panthers if we brought our best game. We have a better forward pack and bench then them and that is where the battle is won. But Moses needs to do what Cleary does every week to nullify their momentum and options and Mahoney needs to run and bring our players on behind the ruck.

I don't know if we can do this, but it makes it interesting to see if we can.

Who is the best pack in the NRL? Brisbane would be in the mix. I feel ours is up there. If we found a more explosive 2nd rower it would be the best easily.
Of course we can beat the Panthers. But they have better halves and backs. The bench is close.
T.May vs W.Smith
Niakuore,Papalli,Kafusi vs Liam Martin,Spencer Leinu and Eisunhuth.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
now that we've seen what works as opposed to what didn't last week i think we have the blueprint going forward if moses can keep up that kicking prowess every week it will serve us well

We have to hope the opposition don't illegally slow down the play the ball? And if they do, the referee actually penalises them rather than rewarding them?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I think this time marata has spent at centre has really resurrected the idea of him playing as an edge forward. He was trending towards playing in the middle but there is so much more to his game that just being a battering ram.

completely agree, just leave him there, as to whether he wears a 3, 4 or 11, 12 really doesn't make much difference

BA said in his presser he reckons big Papa might be better suited in the middle

we may not see Matto again

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I'm fairly certain we knew what worked and what didn't before the season started. Sometimes we will play against a team that outperforms us. Thats just the reality of an NRL season.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
well yeah, last night our forwards went forward and Mitch played well

its a simple formula

TheRam

Coach
I’m commenting on the definition of ‘mental strength’ that others have been using over the last few days to criticise our record in Canberra. They were critical of our effort rather than our smarts and as a result said that we are “mentally weak”.

I don’t agree with that analysis and believe our weaknesses are in our composure and decision making. Call that a different form of “mental weakness” if you like but hopefully it’s becoming clear to most that our effort isn’t the issue.

I don't think our effort has been an issue for a few years now, other then the occasional blimp here and there. But composure and decision making has been a massive problem and still can be when things go awry. Some think of this as ‘mental strength’ under fatigue. One must have a clear and purposeful mind under duress and rise above adversity.

I tend to think of this as ‘mental strength’.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I don't think our effort has been an issue for a few years now, other then the occasional blimp here and there. But composure and decision making has been a massive problem and still can be when things go awry. Some think of this as ‘mental strength’ under fatigue. One must have a clear and purposeful mind under duress and rise above adversity.

I tend to think of this as ‘mental strength’.
Agreed mate. Moses in particular as one of the leaders of our team needs to continue to improve in this area. Thankfully, he's less of a sooky bitch these days but he still isn't there yet.

TheRam

Coach
Who is the best pack in the NRL? Brisbane would be in the mix. I feel ours is up there. If we found a more explosive 2nd rower it would be the best easily.
Of course we can beat the Panthers. But they have better halves and backs. The bench is close.
T.May vs W.Smith
Niakuore,Papalli,Kafusi vs Liam Martin,Spencer Leinu and Eisunhuth.

Yes the Broncos have a great pack too, but are not experienced enough at this point and are lacking a real experience/quality dummy half.

The Panthers are up there, but I think we have their measure slightly, but the obviously have the better halves. That is why we need to be at our very best to beat them.

TheRam

Coach
I wonder how the team will go next time someone applies the blowtorch? Hopefully better than I did when it happened at Bones on Bones.

I think you pulled the pin to soon mate. Like I told you at the time you were trying to juggle to many balls at once while fending off aggressive penetrative players from all directions. It was always going to get very messy for a novice. You bit off more then you could chew and almost drowned in the middle there.

Luckily Hindy stepped in and subbed to save your ass. He showed everyone how a real pro can handle such an onslaught that night with such easy and proficiency. What a legend and the reason there are so many pictures of him adorning the walls at BnB in action.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I’d say they’re pretty comparable. Both great metre eaters, both exposed frequently in defence and both prone to brain explosions. Both received winger of the year on one occasion each but Fergo played 9 origins whereas Jr played 3.

I thought we were comparing Waqa Blake with Eric Grothe, Jnr....

Eelementary

Post Whore
I’d say they’re pretty comparable. Both great metre eaters, both exposed frequently in defence and both prone to brain explosions. Both received winger of the year on one occasion each but Fergo played 9 origins whereas Jr played 3.

I thought we were comparing Waqa Blake with Eric Grothe, Jnr....

Eelementary

Post Whore
Well, you know, funny thing, but the combination of Whighton and Croker were very conspicuous in their absence last night. I shudder to think what Wighton might have done to Waqa Blake.

I'm not sure if you've seen too many Raiders games this season, but Croker has been MIA all year...

Gronk

Staff member
There's something wrong with you merkins.
giphy.gif