What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 6 vs South Sydney @ Stadium Australia

Who will win? Round 6: South Sydney v Wests Tigers

• South Sydney Rabbitohs 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Wests Tigers 1-12

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Rosco

Bench
Another moment that hasn’t been talked about

we knock on...fair game. Mansour picks it up and runs 15 meters, drops it and Sutton calls it back for a tigers knock on. No advantage and south’s score next set

seriously how hard did we get dudded last night?
YES. One of the many, many times I swore at the TV was for this. Without measuring, Mansour took his advantage. With a tape measure, it was 13+ metres.
I hope Sutton at least said to our blokes at kick off " I don't even care if you like anal . . . get ready for it"

The Rosco

Bench

we knock on...fair game. Mansour picks it up and runs 15 meters, drops it and Sutton calls it back for a tigers knock on. No advantage and south’s score next set

YES. One of the many, many times I swore at the TV was for this. Without measuring, Mansour took his advantage. With a tape measure, it was 13+ metres.
I hope Sutton at least said to our blokes at kick off " I don't even care if you like anal . . . get ready for it"

The Rosco

Bench

I thought that was Burgess when he ran through 3 or 4 of our defenders blowing kisses!

His idea of a step is hobbling or hoping about after stubbing his toe.

Last edited:

Tigers1986

Juniors
Hetherington sent off today for a careless high shot on Holmes.

Where art thou consistency?

Mitchell takes out Noffa in the act of scoring with an elbow to the head - stay on field.

Reflector

Juniors
I agree and somewhat ironically, Bennett was a famous critic of the rule as well!

The “honourable draw” as it is known.

It was introduced for regular season games in 2003 after literally nobody was complaining about regular season games ending in draws. It has attracted way, way more complaints in the 18 years since than draws did for regular season games in the 95 seasons up to that point...

It was introduced for regular season games in 2003 after literally nobody was complaining about regular season games ending in draws. It has attracted way, way more complaints in the 18 years since than draws did for regular season games in the 95 seasons up to that point...

Yes, many other changes to the game that don’t seem especially enlightened.

2 point field goals and 40-20. The cowbell thing Isn’t doing much for me either.

A cap that seems to bolster the stronger sides for different reasons.

The billions of officials that still make mistakes.

The cost of attending the game, treatment of ticket holders, no-fault stand down and the rest.

Sonny Bill and the circus that was his return and the idiot ex player commentators you’d swear have never watched a game in their life, let alone played.

Last edited:

BrotherJim05

Bench
Having had a full 24 hours to ponder the game, I think the boys need to hold their heads up high at the performance they put on. Yes, we didn't get the two points, yes there are still things to fix, but that performance was head and shoulders above anything we have displayed this year.

The three biggest positives for me:
  1. Spine is starting to really take shape. Doueihi, Simpkin and Laurie were all brilliant and I see a big future at the club for these 3.
  2. Our forwards went toe to toe with Souths and matched it. There were periods I was worried that we were getting monstered but the troops rallied and we held the line. With the young talent coming through I'm excited for what is to come from these boys
  3. Outside backs are clearly the issue. I could be wrong but I think it is now blatantly obvious that our outside backs are the main issue at the Tigers. I see the positive in this because we have huge cap space on the horizon and can start going after some big signings to fix this glaring issue

BrotherJim05

Bench
Having had a full 24 hours to ponder the game, I think the boys need to hold their heads up high at the performance they put on. Yes, we didn't get the two points, yes there are still things to fix, but that performance was head and shoulders above anything we have displayed this year.

1. Spine is starting to really take shape. Doueihi, Simpkin and Laurie were all brilliant and I see a big future at the club for these 3.
  2. Our forwards went toe to toe with Souths and matched it. There were periods I was worried that we were getting monstered but the troops rallied and we held the line. With the young talent coming through I'm excited for what is to come from these boys
  3. Outside backs are clearly the issue. I could be wrong but I think it is now blatantly obvious that our outside backs are the main issue at the Tigers. I see the positive in this because we have huge cap space on the horizon and can start going after some big signings to fix this glaring issue

I’d be plunging on Renno.

Unless I’m mistaken Garrick remains unsigned for 22 and I like my Rudolf at the Sharks.

Angus Crichton is still breathing plus add Naden and we are talking business.

macnaz

Staff member
16 Souffs v 7 Weststigers. For 10m , ruck infringements and penalties
Once upon a time they were all just called penalties ... a penalty count so lopsided would have drawn attention from the viewing public but now its all hidden in stats that most wouldnt even find or notice.
To even get close to winning this game whilst against the constant NRL favouritism was remarkable and made me particulary proud of their efforts.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I must also add that Latrell not being binned after that shot on Nofa is a f**king travesty. We could have easily scored another try if they were a man down and could have won the game.

Oh...and also the blatant stepping on the line before his "amazing" momentum changer.

Pisses me off big time.

Tigerm

First Grade
Once upon a time they were all just called penalties ... a penalty count so lopsided would have drawn attention from the viewing public but now its all hidden in stats that most wouldnt even find or notice.
To even get close to winning this game whilst against the constant NRL favouritism was remarkable and made me particulary proud of their efforts.
Agree, the "six again" penalties are never questioned by anyone and is solely the ref's call.
It is laughable and open to corruption with betting allowed on games?

Pezz70

Juniors
Not so much the count the matters but where you give them away. The thing that kills me is that teams will give them away when they’ve got a team pinned in the own 20, they have really cottoned on to the fact that no penalty is coming so they slow the way lay the ball right down to get their defensive line in order. If it is for an infringement inside the 20 it should be a penalty so that the attacking team gets some sort of advantage. Same goes for the attacking 20 a team should get the option of kicking a penalty goal.

As for being proud of their efforts, I thought they played well, but it’s the same old shit, we come up against a few teams last year where we put on a good showing and the next week we’re diabolical again. I’m not proud of anything when they win five or six games in a row then I might feel an ounce of pride.

Tigerm

First Grade
From Fox Sports
What’s a send-off or a sin-binning these days? After Round 6, we’re not quite sure.

Three different games, three different outcomes.

The NRL is vowing to crack down on attacks to the head, but it seems the application of the edict is scatter gun at best.

Round 6
Jack Hetherington was dismissed in the Bulldogs’ loss to the Cowboys after he collared Valentine Holmes.

Bulldog coathangers Holmes, gets sent!Bulldog coathangers Holmes, gets sent!0:45
Hetherington will be hit with a charge on Monday morning. He’s just 29 games into his NRL career and has already had six charges, totalling 10 weeks on the sidelines.

The night before, Latrell Mitchell left a stray arm on the chin of David Nofoaluma in an off-the-ball hit. He then lashed out at Luke Garner with his boot.

Mitchell received no punishment on the night and was allowed to remain on the field.

Souths would then go on to beat the Wests Tigers in golden point.

Only due to the intervention of the match-review committee will Mitchell see up to four weeks on the sidelines after he was hit with three separate charges – the final one for another incident involving Garner.

It was ugly and Radley will now miss up to three games. Was it deliberate and premeditated? Hardly. But it begs the question, where is the consistency?

Radley is sent to the bin, Mitchell spent no time off the field – with the bunker failing to intervene – and Hetherington is sent off.

“I don’t think bunker, referee and match-review committee are all on the same page at the moment,” said Fox League commentator Andrew Voss during the Cowboys’ win over the Bulldogs.

“I don’t think we know when there’s a head shot. Do you stay on? Are you sin-binned? Or are you sent off? It’s an absolute roll of the dice and pick an option out of the hat.”

He’s right. Corey Parker made the point on the Big League Wrap that Hetherington’s reputation now precedes him.

“I think it’ll be longer than what he got last year [for a hit on Martin Taupau],” Parker said. “It was dumb stuff. It pulls apart what you’re trying to build… we love the aggression but it’s a fine line. Based on the numbers [of chargers] they’re horrible.”

Latrell Mitchell reported for sloppy hitLatrell Mitchell reported for sloppy hit0:27
While Hetherington had to go watch his side slog out their sixth straight loss of the season from the change rooms, Mitchell was allowed to play on against the Tigers and it left Michael Maguire asking why the bunker failed to interject, saying: “I think ‘Garns’ ended up copping a boot there at one stage, technology in the game can refer to that.”

Mitchell could quite easily have been having an early bath of his own for the Garner and Nofoaluma incidents.

“Let me ask you if that was Jack Hetherington what happens?” Michael Ennis said on the Big League Wrap, referring to Mitchell’s contact with Nofoaluma.

“I thought sin bin. I thought he had an opportunity to pull out of that one Latrell and he still led with the forearm and made contact with the head.

Radley binned for huge coat hangarRadley binned for huge coat hangar0:34
“Now they are trying to stamp that out of the game. Any contact with the head they are trying to stamp out. He is lucky he didn’t connect [with Garner].”

Three different games, three different outcomes. Answers on a postcard, please.

Tigerm

First Grade
Not so much the count the matters but where you give them away. The thing that kills me is that teams will give them away when they’ve got a team pinned in the own 20, they have really cottoned on to the fact that no penalty is coming so they slow the way lay the ball right down to get their defensive line in order. If it is for an infringement inside the 20 it should be a penalty so that the attacking team gets some sort of advantage. Same goes for the attacking 20 a team should get the option of kicking a penalty goal.

As for being proud of their efforts, I thought they played well, but it’s the same old shit, we come up against a few teams last year where we put on a good showing and the next week we’re diabolical again. I’m not proud of anything when they win five or six games in a row then I might feel an ounce of pride.
Pezz, we are WT supporters, we ride the lows as long as it takes, our highs will come.
It happens to every team.

Tigerm

First Grade
Just watching the 2nd grade game replay on Kayo, some interesting players.
But the depth in attack, the slick passing and players catching them, good to watch.
I think a few will knock on the door to FG maybe not this year but certainly in the future.

Liddle played well. Could he play the roving lock role for us?
Amone has played OK got 10 in the bin, but hope to see him in FG soon.
EJ Louie? looks a beast.
Fitzgibbon played OK, scored a great try.
MCK does some good things, just doesn’t do a enough of it imo.
Cini goes well. Apparently leads his comp in post contact meters.
Walters had about 20 odd minutes, survived it, so good news.

42-18 win

Last edited:

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
Just watching the 2nd grade game replay on Kayo, some interesting players.
But the depth in attack, the slick passing and players catching them, good to watch.
I think a few will knock on the door to FG before too long if the main team blokes don’t step up.

It’s reserve grade for a reason, but yes some of the boys look pretty good

I think the door will open for Zac Cini who once again had a man of the match performance over the weekend

Latest posts