What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Is Ricky Stuart the most overrated coach ever?

BadnMean

Juniors
Here's the issue

We need an injection of youth. Sia has been a great for servant of the game and the club. I'd love to see him hanging around the club in some way. Hes a great back up

But we have younger fresher options

I'm not sure what the point of Havili is at the moment either

Havilii 3 runs in 30 mins last night. Was also usually the last back onside. 4 runs in 55 mins the week before. He's a good enough stop-gap middle in a pinch, hence his squad role as hooker utlity. But he makes no sense on a bench with Starling. We have quite a few better options (CHN, Horsburg, Kris) so it's becoming baffling.

BadnMean

Juniors
Yeah, very mild level gossip and probably more people connecting dots that might not be there
But he’s got a young family back in NZ, the warriors now have a opening at fullback. Also I think the raiders are looking at that position very closely right now.
As said might be bit 1+1=3 stuff but I won’t be stunned if that’s where it ends

Aekins has already hit more passes on the sweep play than CNK has in years. That's the brutal limit to his game.

That said, we missed every other aspect that CNK brings last night; energy, outstanding defence, attitude, yards.

I'm fine with CNK at FB, you just need speed & some punch around him, not a bunch of ageing feebs (Croker), ageing turtle winger cruelly being played on the wrong side so he keeps bombing tries (Rapana) & complete non-entities (Simo).

If he moves on we can rejuvenate the back from from the key spot outwards. We need a major back 5 rejuvenation so I like him but wouldn't shed tears if he left for that reason alone.

nick87

Coach
Yeah the back 5
1 through 5 needs a complete overhaul

not sure the coach has it in him to do it though
Interesting 12 months ahead for the raiders

After watching this and the first 5 round well we are terrible ...
Last nights team had zero cohesion
1. Aetkins ? Very good game on debut
2. Simmo ... HIA obv but has the guy ever broke the line
3. Scott ... good first two games ... still getting driven back and is poor in defence
4. Croker .. fmd love the guy but he’s past it completely
5. Rapana .. wrong side of field and making too many dumb errors
6. Jack .. rocks and diamonds ... great when he runs but struggling as well
7. Williams ... fine , needs quicker ball though from the black hole
8. Papalii... looks underdone condition wise and a little weaker ?
9. The black hole .... I know he’s had heaps of injury’s but didn’t know any were to his brain , slow , a hog , and puts his support under pressure ... his kicking game is horrific
10. Who do we play this week ? ... Literally no idea who started last night
11. Whitehead ... solid but struggling having to play in centres the past two weeks
12. Young ... solid but needs to be more consistent
13. Tapine... ok but clearly needs a rev up
14. Starling ... good player ... terribly underused, we were great with him as starting hooker last year
15. SIA. ... love him but he’s just too old for the game as it is
16. Havilii.. why we have two hookers on the bench is beyond me , decent just running the ball
17. Sutton . Been our best forward this year , but can’t do everything

Can Ricky change 8 players out of this 17 ? If he doesn’t we are done ... don’t worry I already know the answer

BadnMean

Juniors
After watching this and the first 5 round well we are terrible ...
Last nights team had zero cohesion
2. Simmo ... HIA obv but has the guy ever broke the line. No, place Rapa on this side.
3. Scott ... good first two games ... still getting driven back and is poor in defence. Back too early from rib injury? Worth another go based on first 2 games.
4. Croker .. fmd love the guy but he’s past it completely. Agree, but he'll play again. We just extended him 3 year beyond this one. Albatross around our necks.
5. Rapana .. wrong side of field and making too many dumb errors. Pick Semi Valemi here. From round 10 we can play Hoppa (outside top 30) if Semi doesn't look the goods.
9. The black hole .... I know he’s had heaps of injury’s but didn’t know any were to his brain , slow , a hog , and puts his support under pressure ... his kicking game is horrific. Also stuffs our defence up because all the other team has to do is aim at Hodgo & carry him 15m. Great hooker with the old rules & 1 good knee. He's struggling with no good knees and the fast game.
10. Who do we play this week ? ... Literally no idea who started last night. Play James here plz Ricky.
11. Whitehead ... solid but struggling having to play in centres the past two weeks. If only we had an international grade backrower with enough speed to play at centre in his career too so veteran Whitehead doesn't have to do this shiz... Oh wait, it's CHN.
12. Young ... solid but needs to be more consistent. Should be our bench lock & CHN should be playing here. He's tearing reggies apart for weeks now but Ricky is mad at him.
13. Tapine... ok but clearly needs a rev up.
14. Starling ... good player ... terribly underused, we were great with him as starting hooker last year
15. SIA. ... love him but he’s just too old for the game as it is. Play Horsbra here plz Ricky.
16. Havilii.. why we have two hookers on the bench is beyond me , decent just running the ball. Makes no sense at all on a bench with another hooker. Play Young here plz Ricky. Plays middle + covers edge.

Can Ricky change 8 players out of this 17 ? If he doesn’t we are done ... don’t worry I already know the answer

2. Simmo ... HIA obv but has the guy ever broke the line. No, place Rapa on this side.
3. Scott ... good first two games ... still getting driven back and is poor in defence. Back too early from rib injury? Worth another go based on first 2 games. Kris twiddling his thumbs doing nothing in the meantime.
4. Croker .. fmd love the guy but he’s past it completely. Agree, but he'll play again. We just extended him 3 year beyond this one. Albatross around our necks.
5. Rapana .. wrong side of field and making too many dumb errors. Pick Semi Valemi here. From round 10 we can play Hoppa (outside top 30) if Semi doesn't look the goods.
9. The black hole .... I know he’s had heaps of injury’s but didn’t know any were to his brain , slow , a hog , and puts his support under pressure ... his kicking game is horrific. Also stuffs our defence up because all the other team has to do is aim at Hodgo & carry him 15m. Great hooker with the old rules & 1 good knee. He's struggling with no good knees and the fast game.
10. Who do we play this week ? ... Literally no idea who started last night. Play James here plz Ricky.
11. Whitehead ... solid but struggling having to play in centres the past two weeks. If only we had an international grade backrower with enough speed to play at centre in his career too so veteran Whitehead doesn't have to do this shiz... Oh wait, it's CHN.
12. Young ... solid but needs to be more consistent. Should be our bench lock & CHN should be playing here. He's tearing reggies apart for weeks now but Ricky is mad at him.
15. SIA. ... love him but he’s just too old for the game as it is. Play Horsbra here plz Ricky. Or Kris if you want a back on the bench so backrowers don't have to keep playing centre. Kris is a decent edge forward too, decent bench versatility.
16. Havilii.. why we have two hookers on the bench is beyond me , decent just running the ball. Makes no sense at all on a bench with another hooker. Play Young here plz Ricky. Plays middle.

mongoose

Coach
Nah, Young is good in the middle or edge, he's our 2nd best backrower after Tapine. This obsession with Harawera Naira who has done nothing yet is silly.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
3. Scott ... good first two games ... still getting driven back and is poor in defence. Back too early from rib injury? Worth another go based on first 2 games. Kris twiddling his thumbs doing nothing in the meantime.
15. SIA. ... love him but he’s just too old for the game as it is. Play Horsbra here plz Ricky. Or Kris if you want a back on the bench so backrowers don't have to keep playing centre. Kris is a decent edge forward too, decent bench versatility.
16. Havilii.. why we have two hookers on the bench is beyond me , decent just running the ball. Makes no sense at all on a bench with another hooker. Play Young here plz Ricky. Plays middle.
Geez i love the way starling plays, i wouldn't bother with havilli, there is plenty of guys to fill the bench with, CHN, Ryan James is probably the best guys off the bench, with Soliola or Horsbra starting, but thats just my take on what ive seen this past year, im just loving Starlings attack

shear_joy9

Coach
It’s kind of funny now watching ravalawa become a gun winger after ricky decided he wasn’t even worth a base level contract. He’s the exact player Canberra need right now.

On Hodgson, the guy simply isn’t suited to the quicker game. In Hodgson’s mind he’s a combination of cam smith and Damien cook, when in reality he’s just a bald pom with two busted knees.

BadnMean

Juniors
Geez i love the way starling plays, i wouldn't bother with havilli, there is plenty of guys to fill the bench with, CHN, Ryan James is probably the best guys off the bench, with Soliola or Horsbra starting, but thats just my take on what ive seen this past year, im just loving Starlings attack

Preaching to the choir here. I haven't met a Raiders fan yet who isn't really impressed with him. Hodgo is a club legend and the fact people are kind of leaning toward Starling being a better pick right now speaks volumes.

He's great to watch in defence too. Get's up & under and just lays big blokes out with a beautiful technique. It's the opposite of Hodgo's over the ball style.

mongoose

Coach
I'm still bewildered by the number of Raiders fans who don't rate Young. Am I missing something? He's the only player who is consistently making line breaks for us this year and in a team where none of our outside backs are capable of line breaks, he's pretty valuable.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I'm still bewildered by the number of Raiders fans who don't rate Young. Am I missing something? He's the only player who is consistently making line breaks for us this year and in a team where none of our outside backs are capable of line breaks, he's pretty valuable.

I think he is excellent but I think he played better in the middle of the field last year. I am not fussed if he remains starting starting backrower. Adding CHN to the bench gives us cover on the edges so its basically moot. They should both be in the side.

CHN is a suspect defender and thats the biggest knock on him where Young managed to shut down Fifita (although that edge was bad in defense against Parra)

Both can cover the middle and both the edges its a no brainer imo. Young is the first forward picked on form along with Sutton. He just looked really good running in the middle of the field against tiring forwards last year where he could use his footwork to get in between players.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
What we should be asking is why are we getting belted in yardage every week when we apparently have a good forward pack. We have won the battle for metres once this year (against the tigers)

If you look at it on an individual level guys are putting in good shifts. Papalii had a quiet game against the tigers but has been up over 100m every other game. Tapine had a pretty sleepy return against Penrith but has been again consistently over 100m. Bailey and Rapana are normally getting pretty decent yardage out our end. Sutton just chews up metres for fun. All the other forwards have had good games scattered in there.

Its a team issue. We are giving the opposition way too much ball and way too much easy ball with our diabolical long kicking. Stick wants us to grind but thats a terrible tactic under the current interpretation of the game. I face palm every time we kick early straight down the fullbacks throat on tackle 3 and then check the possession and we have lost it again. Possession is king under the current rules.

Sort your brain out stick

mongoose

Coach
What we should be asking is why are we getting belted in yardage every week when we apparently have a good forward pack. We have won the battle for metres once this year (against the tigers)

If you look at it on an individual level guys are putting in good shifts. Papalii had a quiet game against the tigers but has been up over 100m every other game. Tapine had a pretty sleepy return against Penrith but has been again consistently over 100m. Bailey and Rapana are normally getting pretty decent yardage out our end. Sutton just chews up metres for fun. All the other forwards have had good games scattered in there.

Its a team issue. We are giving the opposition way too much ball and way too much easy ball with our diabolical long kicking. Stick wants us to grind but thats a terrible tactic under the current interpretation of the game. I face palm every time we kick early straight down the fullbacks throat on tackle 3 and then check the possession and we have lost it again. Possession is king under the current rules.

Sort your brain out stick

our long kicking game is diabolical, even the year we made the grand final it wasn't great. When our coach is probably the greatest long kicker the game has ever seen it doesn't make sense... Our line speed in defence has also gone to shit. It looked like we were back 12m against the Eels just waiting for their runners to come. The Eels defense was in our face as soon as we played the ball, it doesn't help that Hodgsons service is slow as hell these days, although its been a bit better the last 2 weeks.

BadnMean

Juniors
our long kicking game is diabolical, even the year we made the grand final it wasn't great. When our coach is probably the greatest long kicker the game has ever seen it doesn't make sense... Our line speed in defence has also gone to shit. It looked like we were back 12m against the Eels just waiting for their runners to come. The Eels defense was in our face as soon as we played the ball, it doesn't help that Hodgsons service is slow as hell these days, although its been a bit better the last 2 weeks.

I don't think Ricky bothers to coach kicking technique. Jack has a huge boot but no finesse on it.

Look at Hodgos. Been at the club for years. But his biomechanics are bloody awful. Instead of arms placing the ball low for the kick from directly in front, his swing sideways from left to right across his body, creating a whole new plane for error (as opposed to just up/down) so he's got a very, very slim margin for error.

That's why so many of his kicks fly off the side of float slowly up in the air as opposed to being driven hard- he can't hit through the ball because it's flying sideways across his foot as he tries to kick at it.

typicalfan

Coach
I think Hodgson is struggling with the pace of the game and most of the other bad stuff is a flow on effect. Starling has been almost a fresh relief to the team when he comes on far too late.