What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Pezz70

Juniors
I think Harry had a great season under Madge and maybe can be used as an example that Madge is a good coach.

It’s interesting that some players can thrive under a coach whilst others fester.

The best coaches get more players thriving I suppose or their is a natural dynamic at work. I wonder if Harto thinks about this.

Everyone laughed at Hook when he dug up players from the graveyard and the whole side seems pumped up and aggressive.

I watched the Seibs coaching show last year, the body language from the players was very telling.
You could sense the high opinions and egos in the room, you needed sunnies!

One for @The Rosco and @Tigerm - if six headed aliens landed on planet earth, the only time they wouldn’t feel homesick is while watching Wests Tigers TV.

You can blame every outside influence you want in the end it comes down to the individuals attitude.

As Victor Frankl that said, ‘Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms - to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way’

simmo05

Bench
Grant is another level, when he is fully fit and has a bit more experience he will be one of top 3 if not the best hooker in the comp.

The Storm miss Smith so much. Last night was a lot of crash ball near the line, aka ego plays. Wouldn't have happened that much under Smith.

Yes Bellamy has a great system but it's easier to keep blokes inline when your team had Smith, Slater, Cronk in it. Now those boys are gone it gets harder for the coach to keep blokes inline.
I reckon he is the best hooker now
Grant is another level, when he is fully fit and has a bit more experience he will be one of top 3 if not the best hooker in the comp.

The Storm miss Smith so much. Last night was a lot of crash ball near the line, aka ego plays. Wouldn't have happened that much under Smith.

Yes Bellamy has a great system but it's easier to keep blokes inline when your team had Smith, Slater, Cronk in it. Now those boys are gone it gets harder for the coach to keep blokes inline.
I think he is the top hooker already! But how are all the young blokes that get brought through by both the rooters and storms. Fmd, each one is better than the next. There is plenty of talk about the storms and easts systems, what is the system they are talking about, and what is every other club doing wrong?

Das Hassler

Bench
Awfully hard to make a case for anyone else being as good let alone better...and that's outright without making any allowances for his age and first grade experience. ..he just doesn't make any rookie mistakes. It's as if he already has a veteran's experience and vision so you would have to credit his 2 years at C Smith university ( prior to WT stint) for that

Shredder

Juniors
What the storm and the roosters are doing is the same as EPL.

They are "sponsoring" young players, 15, 16 years old. They give them an identity and a bit of cash (it really isnt much) and I think they pay for their boots.

They sign plenty of these kids real early and when they get to A-Grade they decide which ones they want to keep. At this level they bring them across once a week for training, not with the First Grade side, but near them.

It makes these kids feel loved and they are already tied up WAY before we even get a look at them.

simmo05

Bench
What the storm and the roosters are doing is the same as EPL.

They are "sponsoring" young players, 15, 16 years old. They give them an identity and a bit of cash (it really isnt much) and I think they pay for their boots.

They sign plenty of these kids real early and when they get to A-Grade they decide which ones they want to keep. At this level they bring them across once a week for training, not with the First Grade side, but near them.

It makes these kids feel loved and they are already tied up WAY before we even get a look at them.
I thought all clubs would be doing that?

Shredder

Juniors
Not to the same extend.

They sign on dozens of players. The Roosters pretty much take all of NSW and the Storm take all of QLD.

As far as I know we dont even have a junior development system. We certainly didnt two years ago.

WA Tiger

Bench
SMH...today
Wests slide story

Michael Maguire is in a tenuous position at Wests Tigers. Officials at the club are openly discussing the prospect of letting him go.

However, given the club’s ongoing struggles – it is now 10 years since they played finals and 16 since they won the premiership – it is time they started to look seriously at the front office as well. The pressure will grow on chief executive Justin Pascoe if the Tigers can’t turn things around.

stryker

First Grade
SMH...today
Wests slide story

Michael Maguire is in a tenuous position at Wests Tigers. Officials at the club are openly discussing the prospect of letting him go.

However, given the club’s ongoing struggles – it is now 10 years since they played finals and 16 since they won the premiership – it is time they started to look seriously at the front office as well. The pressure will grow on chief executive Justin Pascoe if the Tigers can’t turn things around.
About time that deadhead came under scrutiny.

Tigerm

First Grade
I reckon he is the best hooker now

I think he is the top hooker already! But how are all the young blokes that get brought through by both the rooters and storms. Fmd, each one is better than the next. There is plenty of talk about the storms and easts systems, what is the system they are talking about, and what is every other club doing wrong?
IMO, both these clubs don't have a junior nursery of there own, they look at an area and scour it for talent. They probably have more recruitment blokes than anything else in their system?

Tigerm

First Grade

Danny Weidler
@Danny_Weidler

·
1h

BREAKING: Jackson Hastings is set to return to NRL in 2022. Sources in UK say he wants to return home.
@WestsTigers
remain the front runner and unless there is a last minute hitch that is where he will play next year and beyond.
@9NewsSyd
@NRLonNine
He or Brooks could take on the roving lock role that Mbye is currently playing? This would allow us to swap them around during the game to confuse opposition defence?

Unfortunately, it's another "next year" solution:(

Tigerm

First Grade
From the Pom.

Brent Naden’s terms for 2022 & 23 have been agreed upon, Talk ongoing to see if there’s a chance of getting him this year (made all more desperate now with AJ’s injury).
Club has been talking to Isaac Lumelume’s management about an early release to bolster this years backline, nothing eventuated as yet, not ruled out as a 2022 signing.

Semi Valemei (Raiders), Nene McDonald (Sharks) & Tevita Funa (Sea Eagles) have been mentioned as possible depth signings before August Cut Off.

Coming down to $$$ Hastings management obviously using his current status in the Super League to ask for decent coin, but club being wary. 1st year to be modest with incentives once proven he can match it back in the NRL.
Highly doubtful, transfer fee more than club was happy to fork out to come this year.

Not sure if counted as big money but there has been discussions with Issac Liu, 2 year deal has been mentioned but I highly doubt he’d leave the Roosters unless the money was too good to turn down.

Simpkin & Luciano are the clubs re-signing priority. Both will have something sorted prior to coming to market in November

Tiger05

First Grade
Not much improvement in that list. Naden might improve us a bit. Hastings might as well.

Simpkin and Luc need to be re-signed. It'll be hard to get players that good on the market.

We are in a shit position in relation to our outside back depth at this point.

I don't think we need middle forwards now. I wouldn't go after Issac Liu on that basis.

Shredder

Juniors
I agree mate. I think our forward pack is close.

We have more question marks in our backs. Naden would be good, Hastings would be great, even as depth.

Would like to see us sign a couple of young 3/4ers with out last two spots this year.

super_coach

First Grade
SMH...today
Wests slide story

We just can’t keep flicking coaches and CEO’s and think things may improve. Unless we can sign a very high profile coach who will bring a few marquee players with him it’s best to keep Madge and Pascoe and save another rebuild under a new coach. Also I fail to see why Pascoe’s job would be under pressure. Okay he hires the coach, but he just implements the board’s plans. Maybe we should start with the board.

Vozzy

Juniors
All the names being mentioned are like wait and see kind of deals for me. I'm not over excited but at least they are trying to have change. You could say that the culture of a club/playing style is based on your halfback. I don't hate Brooks but I think he has reached his peak with the odd good game. Just a player who has potential and became an average first grader(which sums us up the last 8 years) and that's OK I can except it if they try and change it.

I still feel like we are ignoring young players inform in Reserve Grade who will get overlooked go to a Storm/Roosters and have good careers I think we should give Kiah Cooper a shot in the centres.

Tigerm

First Grade
We just can’t keep flicking coaches and CEO’s and think things may improve. Unless we can sign a very high profile coach who will bring a few marquee players with him it’s best to keep Madge and Pascoe and save another rebuild under a new coach. Also I fail to see why Pascoe’s job would be under pressure. Okay he hires the coach, but he just implements the board’s plans. Maybe we should start with the board.
And the board is full of Big sponsors and West Ashfield club people, so board is unlikely to change, I think current management will see us out of this rough patch though.

Just need that one player imo to pull us out. E.g. a Roger Tuivasa-Sheck type?