What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tigerm

First Grade
So next year, (god I hate saying that every year) we are expecting to have Hastings (confirmed) and Naden coming?

But we still need 2 more this year.
I understand that they are trying to get both Hastings & Naden for the rest of this year? Or, we get 2 more this year, to give us our 30 for this year.

So, if Walters, Packer, Mbye & JTJ go next year, we will be looking for 4?

With the rumour that BJ will be asked to stay? Will JTJ be resigned? Will they release Mbye? Packer will go as will Walters.

We have a pocket full of cash, we are in a good position for NEXT YEAR. Always next year?

Does my head in, no wonder Hartigan is on big bucks.

Perth Tiger

Bench
So next year, (god I hate saying that every year) we are expecting to have Hastings (confirmed) and Naden coming?

I understand that they are trying to get both Hastings & Naden for the rest of this year? Or, we get 2 more this year, to give us our 30 for this year.

With the rumour that BJ will be asked to stay? Will JTJ be resigned? Will they release Mbye? Packer will go as will Walters.

We have a pocket full of cash, we are in a good position for NEXT YEAR. Always next year?

If we don't use Cini this year he will be gone as well for an extra spot, but Hoffman is promoted to the top squad next year so basically will take his spot

Tigerm

First Grade
If we don't use Cini this year he will be gone as well for an extra spot, but Hoffman is promoted to the top squad next year so basically will take his spot
I thought Cini played well, but looks a tad slow.

Also, he is only 21 this year, if he went, he is only likely be playing 2nd grade. I think he will stay, but what position, Laurie is cemented in as our FB.

Last edited:
Soward often sounds like an idiot but that was good. If we could sign a quality outside back it'd be unreal. Xavier Coates or someone like that would be unreal.

Ask some of the high calibre dragons fans like @blacksafake and @Gareth67 and they will tell you that Sowie was one of the first in the popular media to recognise that Mary should have been sacked 2 years before he was. It was not a popular view with the footy celebrities.

So in the broad, he gets more right than wrong.

He is absolutely sure that Brooks will be the highest paid 14 in the comp next year or sooner if we can wrest Hastings away and he’s a big part of the future of the club.

This sounds strange, but I think his appointment is also a pretty good sign for the continued tenure of Madge although we know he only has consultation rights.

Players are generally reticent to enlist if the coach isn’t respected.

As for timing, my guess is that it was sorted last week or earlier, but our game on the weekend would have helped his reflection.

Brooks played ok, but he didn’t or couldn’t lead us through that last 15 minutes. As the panel knows, I thought we lost the game more than Souths won it, through poor game management.

WA Tiger

Bench
Ask some of the high calibre dragons fans like @blacksafake and @Gareth67 and they will tell you that Sowie was one of the first in the popular media to recognise that Mary should have been sacked 2 years before he was. It was not a popular view with the footy celebrities.

So in the broad, he gets more right than wrong.

He is absolutely sure that Brooks will be the highest paid 14 in the comp next year or sooner if we can wrest Hastings away and he’s a big part of the future of the club.

This sounds strange, but I think his appointment is also a pretty good sign for the continued tenure of Madge although we know he only has consultation rights.

Players are generally reticent to enlist if the coach isn’t respected.

As for timing, my guess is that it was sorted last week or earlier, but our game on the weekend would have helped his reflection.

Brooks played ok, but he didn’t or couldn’t lead us through that last 15 minutes. As the panel knows, I thought we lost the game more than Souths won it, through poor game management.
I hope your not just sucking up to Stryker and u actually mean that...All I know is that Madge is forgiven ... only for this week tho

Last edited:
I hope your not just sucking up to Stryker and u actually mean that...All I know is that Madge is forgiven ... only for this week tho

Nope, the hate between @stryker and I will never die. It is timeless, eternal and our joint destiny.

I’ve made my point about Madge well known in that I think his fortunes are tied to a lift in individual performances of players.

Some are going well, most are not.

On the balance, we played well against Souths...for 70 minutes. There was apparent growth, but then we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory which was total failure.

I think there were at least 3 of us here who said that the overall performance did not meet expectations and Madge has to take some blame for that. No excuses, we pissed an 8 pt lead up against the wall. Game mis-management. We lost it, they didn’t win it. Even with bad calls, we still f**ked ourselves up. We can’t rely on luck to win games. The rabbits just kept coming.

Without 3 good games in a row ( even if we lose) I don’t think we are where we need to be and Madge is a candidate for “show cause” at the end of the season. We have a club option for 22 and 23. I think he might agree.

Now against my consternation and criteria are the extremists on both sides. That includes the “ Madgers” and I think they propose that because of the legacy cap catastrophe, his first real season is next year and that the last few years have been about change. They argue it’s wrong to judge him on what is a reserve grade outfit with a small handful of true first graders. Madge inherits 75% retirees and plod. They cite the magic of Laurie, Doogie and Lucy who are all playing well above their known max with plenty of improvement left. All Harto recruits with Madge consulting. This is compelling evidence. A lot of the smug fans on LU now think they should have kept Laurie. Is he playing better under Madge than he did under Ivan and co? Seems that way. They think so anyway.

Do we have the patience for Madge?

I’m more on the fence, but I’m not unwilling to cut our losses without the growth. I don’t think we should close out any options. If there’s really no pulse by the end of the season, It would be upsetting etc, but he’d have to go. Manly will want him anyway.

But Hastings must feel Madge is Ok to come over. That helps Madge’s claims. I think that’s fair comment and Im positive and well pleased with that.

Madgewatch more rewarding with an open mind I think.

Last edited:
Of course they did but so would have we if we kept being gifted 6 agains for no identifiable reason

Where you are correct, I still need at least another 2 good games in a row.

I don’t even care if we win. I just want to see progress or growth on the park. Less errors, more creative attack, stoic defence, playing what’s in front us and keeping the opposition well away. I want to see 80 minute efforts, admirable composure a la knights ( wonderful game from that perspective). Game awareness. Stick to game plan unless opportunity knocks.

Burgess ran through because he saw his chance and we missed tackles. But the impetus was his. That was learnt and well executed. It was a bit unexpected, good strong footy. Brooksy was right to go for his run. That was good footy too.

Manly will be a good test to see if we can keep on a war footing. It would mean something to play well against them.

If we play well, the wins will follow sooner or later. Sooner we hope!

I might add, Souths were at full and unashamed grand final strength. That’s not lost on me and the boys will know that too.

Last edited:

BrotherJim05

Bench
As much as I wanted to join the Hastings circle jerk, I really don't think he will slot straight into the starting side. Yes he is killing it in the UK, but so do many players in the UK who completely flop in NRL. I know he has matured and all that, but he was a fringe first grader when he was last playing in NRL and realistically that is where he has to start from.

I'm not saying he is going to just sit in reserve grade until their is an injury, I'm simply saying he will have to beat either Brooks or Mbye in the 2022 pre-season to get a spot in the starting 17. If Mbye moves on then he is greater chance to get a spot, but I don't think he has ever played anything but halves or hooker. I really don't see him as a ball-playing lock, he will get ran over by bigger middle forwards and will put a lot of pressure on our pack to cover his defensive load.

You never know though, maybe Madge is able to get the most out of Hastings and elevate his game as a halfback to that of Adam Reynolds back in 2014, leading us finally to a premiership and a long term, game managing halfback who can kick goals. Feeling shunned, Brooks ends up at the Roosters to link up with Teddy, somehow managing to get the starting 7 jersey, re-discovering his early form and literally becoming the next Andrew Johns.

Or Brooks and Hastings don't get a long, get in a punch up and both get dropped from the side to make room for Madden.....you never know

Last edited:
As much as I wanted to join the Hastings circle jerk, I really don't think he will slot straight into the starting side. Yes he is killing it in the UK, but so do many players in the UK who completely flop in NRL. I know he has matured and all that, but he was a fringe first grader when he was last playing in NRL and realistically that is where he has to start from.

I'm not saying he is going to just sit in reserve grade until their is an injury, I'm simply saying he will have to beat either Brooks or Mbye in the 2022 pre-season to get a spot in the starting 17. If Mbye moves on then he is greater chance to get a spot, but I don't think he has ever played anything but halves or hooker. I really don't see him as a ball-playing lock, he will get ran over by bigger middle forwards and will put a lot of pressure on our pack to cover his defensive load.

You never know though, maybe Madge is able to get the most out of Hastings and elevate his game as a halfback to that of Adam Reynolds back in 2014, leading us finally to a premiership and a long term, game managing halfback who can kick goals. Feeling shunned, Brooks ends up at the Roosters to link up with Teddy, somehow managing to get the starting 7 jersey, re-discovering his early form and literally becoming the next Andrew Johns.

Or Brooks and Hastings don't get a long, get in a punch up and both get dropped from the side to make room for Madden.....you never know

He largely played off the bench before he left, I think he will be the 14 to start with and replace Mbye, since it looks as though he will not be with us next year.

I still would like us to have a dip at Reynolds. He would improve us immensely with his kicking game.

We really need to source two centres. I would be cutting BJ loose, he's been f**king abhorrent for us and if Jim can't get it together we ought to get rid of him too.

Mario chalmers

Juniors

I get the impression that we might be chasing Tevita Pangai.

In the last few days Brent Read reported that the Broncos were about to have a cleanout with too many big earners among their forwards. Pangai was one of the names listed as potential departures.

Concurrently, WT have data analyst Scott Woodward on their books. He was interviewed by Jimmy Smith on SEN yesterday and gave an exclusive that "Tevita Pangai was declaring himself available for NSW."

Smith asked him where the mail came from but Woodward didnt want to say.

Pangai played one of his best games in years last week.

It's a given that Billy Walters will be returning to Brisbane so the Tigers and Broncos must be in ongoing dialogue. A couple of player swaps have been mooted. Maybe this is the next of them?

Tiger05

First Grade
Brooks thinks he’s safe because Madge hasn’t spoken to him about losing his position hahahaha...We might see Brooks at hooker after all

Brooks isn't safe and he shouldn't be.

It'll be interesting how good Hastings is and where he plays for us. If he is quality 7 I can't see Brooks keeping his spot but I'm not sure he is a quality 7.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
He is a special player at times but I wonder why we bother. We need outside backs desperately.
the club forum suggests Isaac Lumelume from the storm is one of the backs we're looking at along with Semi Valumei, Nene McDonald plus one or two others.

I think its likely we'll have something sorted on that front soon.

Chee Kam not the answer there thats for sure. Handy back up utility but very limited passing game.

Latest posts