What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Papalii

possm

Coach
Canberra's Josh Papalii, dorpped for the game against Canberra seems to be out of sorts at the Raiders. Maybe it is a good time to approach is manager and get a handle on his future plans.

I'd say he is just the type of big forward we are looking for.

thebigredv

First Grade
Why not, it's all about taking opportunities. May have buckley's but can only try these things. As good as we are going we need a few astute quality pick ups in the forwards and in the spine to have us up there with the best teams. Papali may not be realistic but he is the quality we are after.

Gareth67

First Grade
No way that the Raiders would allow him to walk I am afraid . He is a ‘ big game ‘ player and worth his weight in gold and that is what it would take to lure him away from Canberra - if he wished to leave that is .

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Classic Possm.

- Propose recruiting a player who has never expressed interest in leaving their current club
- Suggest a completely unrealistic plan to recruit said player based on salary cap numbers that don't add up.
- Attack recruitment when they don't get it done, when it was never a possibility in the first place.

Papalii is under contract with Canberra until the end of 2024. End thread.

Old Timer

Coach
I find it hard to believe that Sticky would drop him for loss of form.....something else must be the issue
All a storm in a tea cup IMO.

Whilst Sticky is not my favourite coach he is certainly not a dummy and he is preparing for the next 4 games which will all be very tough.

He gets an opportunity to freshen up big Josh by starting him from the bench and at the same time gets the chance to put some much needed miles into the legs of James and Harawira-Naera & Horsburgh who are yet to play a game this year and are very important for the Raiders campaign.

Sticky is making sure he has lots to choose from as niggling injuries start to impact on teams.

Walpole

Juniors
All a storm in a tea cup IMO.

Whilst Sticky is not my favourite coach he is certainly not a dummy and he is preparing for the next 4 games which will all be very tough.

He gets an opportunity to freshen up big Josh by starting him from the bench and at the same time gets the chance to put some much needed miles into the legs of James and Harawira-Naera & Horsburgh who are yet to play a game this year and are very important for the Raiders campaign.

Sticky is making sure he has lots to choose from as niggling injuries start to impact on teams.
Not the first time either that Papalii has been relegated to the bench. Stuart knows how to get the best out of him, he's making a point that the Raiders have plenty of good forwards and no-one gets a walk up start.

Won't be long before Papa's running over opposition forwards again and it won't be in the Red V.

blacksafake

First Grade
Not the first time either that Papalii has been relegated to the bench. Stuart knows how to get the best out of him, he's making a point that the Raiders have plenty of good forwards and no-one gets a walk up start.

Won't be long before Papa's running over opposition forwards again and it won't be in the Red V.
Most likely against the Red V:weary:

Shaun_Timmins

Juniors
Classic Possm.

- Propose recruiting a player who has never expressed interest in leaving their current club
- Suggest a completely unrealistic plan to recruit said player based on salary cap numbers that don't add up.
- Attack recruitment when they don't get it done, when it was never a possibility in the first place.

Papalii is under contract with Canberra until the end of 2024. End thread.

Beat me to it.

SBD82

Coach
The Canberra pack have been rotating starters for several years. And Josh is the leader of that pack. This isn’t the first time he has started off the bench, it’s happened even when he was in career best form.

Could be something to it, but I wouldn’t read much into it. Certainly wouldn’t be jumping to conclusions that this might make him available to be headhunted.

TruSaint

Referee
Did he ever play for the Broncos ?

27bec222dc9b61c08bc1d6677e97ffa5c31a80b2-16x9-x0y0w1280h720.jpg

dragon thomo

Juniors
Canberra will not let him go, also his price tag would be to much.
I thought he looked a bit over weight the other day on the highlights.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Canberra's Josh Papalii, dorpped for the game against Canberra seems to be out of sorts at the Raiders. Maybe it is a good time to approach is manager and get a handle on his future plans.

Nice rumour Possm. Even if there was something to it it’s a no thanks from me. The Moose signing along with Merrin’s retirement has completely changed our pack. We look a lot tougher now in the middle.

The verdict in JdB’s trail is around a week away let’s see what happens there before we go signing anyone else.

Besides we still need a utility to cover for McCullough.

BLM01

First Grade

No. Too expensive. We won’t get him anyway he will stay at the Raiders
It’s that mentality that’s wrong with the game someone gets dropped for form issues snd then gotta find another first grade gig somewhere else :tired_face:

blacksafake

First Grade
The Canberra pack have been rotating starters for several years. And Josh is the leader of that pack. This isn’t the first time he has started off the bench, it’s happened even when he was in career best form.

Could be something to it, but I wouldn’t read much into it. Certainly wouldn’t be jumping to conclusions that this might make him available to be headhunted.
You're right It's not the first time he's benched a forward. I think it's a plan by Stuart in managing his forwards. A lot depends on the opposition at the time.

SBD82

Coach
You're right It's not the first time he's benched a forward. I think it's a plan by Stuart in managing his forwards. A lot depends on the opposition at the time.
I can’t remember when I watched it, or the show. But a couple of years ago they were talking about the Canberra pack, and how they considered themselves a unit with Josh as their leader. Different forwards would put their hand up to start to challenge themselves, and Josh would take a step back to shore up the side coming in off the bench. Just a differentiation from looking at themselves as starters or bench players. They acknowledged that the pack had a role throughout the game.

Latest posts