What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Panthers in the NRL

Blade23

Juniors
Totally agree. Has the game become too fast for blokes like Merrin to keep up ? I wonder did this lead to his retirement ?

No unfortunately the fire burnt out for him awhile ago. He lost the love of the game. It no longer was a passion but just a chore.
He is in a better place off the field now and I am happy for him. He has a lot to look forward too.
His 1st year with us was outstanding. As ACTPanthers said, he was a top bloke who was always happy to give his time to the fans. Usually with a smile.
His ending wasn't good but he can be proud of what he achieved in the game.

mxlegend99

Referee
Mez might have carried some extra weight around the gut but the guy got through a lot of work and could play the big minutes. He looked fitter in his second season with us but his form on field went backwards. I have no doubt Mez could cope with these rules if he truly loved playing still.

betcats

Referee
Yes - when we execute. We still botch way too many opportunities.

This season so far is hard to get a proper read. For context - we have played 4 bottom 4 teams - teams that others have beaten more soundly than we have. We Beat the Raiders but it looks like they will be a middling team this year.

Our only real 'achievement' so far was beating the Storm - at home - and we barely did it despite a big chunk of their team missing (Yes I am aware of Api, and Edwards 2nd half) They were missing a good chunk of their pack plus the Pap.

Im not worried about dropping the ball. The fact is we regularly create chances that is the most important thing.

Hooked

Juniors
I would like to see Katoa number 14 at the Dragons. Get the old gang back together again!

Failing that I would love to see him at the Sharks. Playing alongside the other Sione Katoa. With Rabs calling the match. Think of the confusion :p

The Realist

Juniors
Most of my old school mates are Parra fans. They all scoffed at signing Cartwright.

I thought it was an absolute bargain at minimium wage. You lose almost nothing if he fails, but he also has a pretty big potential upside.

Girds89

Bench
Carty never come back the same player after his horrific leg injury.

The emotional/mental scars of that really appeared to affect him and he was just never able to engage the line like he used to pre injury.

He's obviously gone through a bit off the field too.

Hope it's all behind him now. Be nice to see him do well again. Just not against us!! Only 26 still. Can have a solid 5-6 years in grade if he puts the effort in.

Kilkenny

Coach
Bryce is a big unit, needs to take the line on more and put his body on the line. If he does that on a more consistent basis he could prove good value for the Eels. He needs to put numerous good games back to back before we start talking him up, but the signs are positive. Good luck to him.

Kilkenny

Coach
I thought Katoa was very good tonight. The poor kid ain’t gonna get another NRL deal but he was great in his first stint just a real goer. The game is so cut throat, it really is, you have to feel sorry for the fringe players. They earn a fraction of the spine players but have to do the same hard yards at a fraction of the wages.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Happy to see Cartwright go well. I always liked him, but he seems to easily lose his head (both on the field and in his personal life), so you can't really trust him, but it would be nice to see him mature and have a decent career rather than remaining a meme.

Nealo 12

Bench
Happy to see Cartwright go well. I always liked him, but he seems to easily lose his head (both on the field and in his personal life), so you can't really trust him, but it would be nice to see him mature and have a decent career rather than remaining a meme.
Carty has slimmed down quite a lot .. thought it would affect his strength but seems to be playing wider like Yeo does, and similar role