What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Merrin Retires Effective Immediatley

boardlumps62

Juniors
It was gut wrenching when he went to Panthers. Like many thought it was a poor decision him being recruited again. But he was looking ok this year still had some fitness issues but looking at the size of his thighs I thought he would be a help as a benchy. Surprise to see him go what happened. Good luck and best wishes Trent Merrin thanks for the memories.

getsmarty

Immortal
merrin_web.jpg

CLUB NEWS

Merrin announces immediate retirement
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Wed 21 Apr 2021, 12:40 PM
Share on social media
St George Illawarra forward Trent Merrin has announced his immediate retirement from the National Rugby League.

The local Shellharbour Sharks junior retires with 250 first grade games to his name, including stints with the Penrith Panthers (2016-18) and Leeds Rhinos (2019).

First entering the Dragons' system via the Illawarra Steelers in 2004, Merrin progressed through to the Toyota Cup where he was two-time recipient of the Paul McGregor Trophy as Under-20s Player of the Year (2008-09).

Merrin made his debut in Round 12, 2009 against Penrith in Wollongong – the first of 151 NRL games for the Dragons.

Merrin won further accolades in the form of the Geoff Selby Memorial Trophy (2012) and the prestigious Dragons Medal (2013) throughout his time at the Red V.

merrint-lap-161120142.jpg

Trent Merrin: Photos through time

1/41
merrinb-celeb-13071715.jpg

2/41
merrint-celeb-11031242-i.jpg

3/41
merrint--grahamj-200620_sd_01.jpg

4/41

Merrin is the last remaining player at the Dragons to have featured in the club's 2010 grand final and 2011 World Club Challenge successes.

The 31-year-old also represented New South Wales Origin 13 times and for Australia in seven Tests. Merrin also donned the NSW Country and NRL All Stars jersey three times throughout his illustrious career.

"I'm very happy to be able to finish my career on my own terms. This was a decision where I had to be true to myself. I have outgrown the game and the game has outgrown me, although my appreciation for rugby league will never die," Merrin said.

"My dream growing up was always to play for the Dragons, a club I have always held in high esteem. I have achieved everything my younger self ever wanted and that is something I'll always be grateful for.

"The time I spent at the Penrith Panthers, another prestigious club I hold close to my heart, remains one of the proudest things I also had the pleasure of being part of.

"I wouldn't have been able to achieve everything I have without my family and the sacrifices they made. They, alongside my beautiful fiancé and baby boy, have been there throughout the highs and lows of my career.

"They also rode the wave of emotion when it came to this decision to conclude a wonderful career. I'm keen to see the younger players step up in my place as the Dragons continues its exciting journey."

Dragons coach Anthony Griffin paid tribute to Merrin in wake of his decision to retire.

"I had the privilege of coaching Trent across four seasons of his career. He's a tremendous team man and will be sorely missed throughout the playing group," Griffin said.

"Trent has accomplished everything there is to do in rugby league and leaves behind a great legacy as a premiership winner with St George Illawarra."

Dragons general manager of football Ben Haran confirmed the Dragons would celebrate the career of Trent at the club's upcoming Round 8 home game against the Wests Tigers at WIN Stadium, Wollongong on Sunday, May 2.

"Everyone at the Dragons is really supportive of Trent's decision. He is a player and person of the highest character and quality and must be congratulated for an outstanding career," Haran said.

"Trent will undoubtedly go down as a legend of the St George Illawarra Dragons and we look forward to celebrating his career and contributions to the club over the coming weeks."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/04/21/merrin-announces-immediate-retirement/

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Well it’s obvious he and Hook had spoken about retiring at 250
and he got a starting spot last week for his last game
Good luck to him

Yes- While I was opposed to SGI signing him from the ESL, I feel grateful that we saw the best of him in his first stint with the Dragons. He was skillful and played the game in the right spirit. He's reached milestones that few players reach and deserves to go out on his own terms.

getsmarty

Immortal
2011849merrint-lap-161120143.jpg

DRAGONS

'Selfless' Merrin calls time to make way for new breed of Dragons
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 21 Apr 2021, 04:43 PM
walterbrad-head.png

Share on social media
After playing his 250th top-grade match against the Warriors last Sunday, Trent Merrin approached St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin and told him to give his pay and position to a younger player because he could no longer keep up with the speed of the game.

It was a selfless act by a player whose career highlight remains making his NRL debut for the Dragons in 2009 before going on to win a premiership with the club the following season and representing NSW in 13 Origins and Australia in seven Tests.

Describing himself as a “chubby kid from St Peters”, Merrin was once touted as a NSW captain but he said the enthusiasm and ambition that helped him achieve everything in the game was slipping away as he struggled to keep pace under the new NRL rules introduced this season.

“I feel that the game is drifting away from myself so I’ll call it before it calls me,” Merrin said.

“With the way that Hook has got the team going and the feeling among the playing group that we have, I feel that I would be doing more damage than good so my salary and my position can go to one of the young guys coming through and give them that opportunity.”

remote.axd

Lest we forget: Roosters and Dragons legends remember Anzac Day

Lest we forget: Roosters and Dragons legends remember Anzac Day

Merrin had been considering his future since returning to Wollongong from Leeds last year but off-season shoulder surgery and the opportunity to work with Griffin, who had coached him for three years at Penrith, convinced the 31-year-old forward to continue playing.

However, last Sunday’s 20-14 loss to the Warriors convinced the Shellharbour Sharks junior that it was time to hang up the boots and he approached Griffin on Monday.

remote.axd

Match Highlights: Dragons v Roosters

“I didn’t want to accept it off him on Monday,” Griffin said. “I wanted him to go away and think about a few things that we spoke about and so he has come back this morning [Wednesday] and confirmed the feelings he had on Monday.

“I think it is one of the most selfless things that I have seen a player do in that he hasn’t asked for any money and he hasn’t asked for any time.

“He could easily hang around for the next 20 weeks and pick up his cheque and play off the bench but he realises he is not getting what he needs out of the game to fulfil himself and in doing that he realises that the club is not getting what ultimately his spot needs to give.

“He has got nothing left to prove to anyone, which is a credit to him because he is not genetically the most gifted person in the world so he has had to work really hard every year of his career to get to where he has been - and he has been to the highest levels of this game year in and year out.”

Merrin made his 150th appearance for the Dragons two weeks ago in their 26-12 upset of Parramatta, and he also played 72 premiership matches for Penrith and 27 for Leeds and was a member of the NSW team that ended Queensland’s eight-year Origin run in 2014.

“To look back at what I have done, I didn’t even think I would get one first-grade game or even play SG Ball,” Merrin said.

We are a selfless club, full of potential and we need my spot to be taken by a young bloke, who is full of ambition, full of drive and full of energy like I was when I was younger

Trent Merrin
“The speed of the game is a different level now but I am proud of myself. I made a goal at the start of the year to play a first grade game. I know where my body is at, I had a major surgery at the end of last year, and I wanted to prove to myself that I was capable of doing it and I did it.

“The next goal was to be able to maintain and I had to look within myself and, being honest, I don’t think I will be able to maintain it for the rest of the year.

“The last straw was my football and if I couldn’t meet a standard that I hold myself to on the field then I was letting not myself down but the team and this club that I love, so I couldn’t let that happen.

“As a professional athlete you always judge yourself on your last two games, not your first and when you go back to back with efforts that you don’t feel your standard has been reached at my age and the way my body is I had to be honest and make that call.”

Merrin addressed the St George Illawarra players before training on Wednesday and team-mates said there had been a few tears as he told them of his decision.

“I just spoke from the heart and what was a hard decision the playing group made it easy because they have set a standard here and so has Hook – and I know that I am not capable any more to reach that standard,” he said.

“We are a selfless club, full of potential and we need my spot to be taken by a young bloke, who is full of ambition, full of drive and full of energy like I was when I was younger.

“I idolised the club as a kid and I got to play with my idols as well. To be able to come full circle and finish in the Red V I will retire a happy man.

“Debuting for this club was definitely the highlight of my career. Like Hook said, it didn’t come easy for me as a kid, and to be able to don that Red V and live a childhood dream is something I will hold forever.”

The Dragons are undecided whether they will add another player to their roster in place of Merrin this season or wait until 2022 as they do not have to replace him in the club’s top 30 squad and can use his money front load another contract under the NRL’s salary cap rules.

St George Illawarra fans will get the opportunity to celebrate Merrin’s career at the May 2 clash with Wests Tigers at WIN Stadium.

Be part of the NRL action on Anzac Day as the game does its bit to honour Australia and New Zealand’s military forces. Tickets at NRL.com/Tickets

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/21/dragon-heart-merrin-announces-immediate-retirement/

getsmarty

Immortal
Merrin's admission in wake of retirement call

Zachary Gates
2 hrs ago

St George Illawarra Dragons forward Trent Merrin has revealed he'd been mulling over retirement ever since returning to the NRL from a stint in the Super League.

There's no longer a member of the Dragons' 2010 premiership-winning team in St George Illawarra's current squad after Merrin called time on his tremendous career today, effective immediately.

The decision brought to close a career stamped with 223 NRL games with the Dragons and Penrith Panthers, 13 appearances for NSW, six Tests with the Kangaroos and one season with Super League club the Leeds Rhinos in 2019.

Merrin's decision to retire from footy took the rugby league world by surprise, but the 31-year-old said it had "been on my mind" ever since returning from overseas after the 2019 Super League season.

"Since I got back from England it's always been on my mind - if I'm still up to it, if I'm still the same sort of person I am for the game," Merrin told 2GB's Wide World Sports radio host Mark Levy.

"I've been umming and ahhing for a while.

"I've been playing the game, seeing the changes to the game, obviously feeling the speed and the difference, (so) I thought it was time to let the young bucks take over."

BB1fSeo3.img
:copyright: Getty Retired St George Illawarra Dragons forward Trent Merrin.
The Dragons have surprised the league early in the 2021 season, bouncing back from their Charity Shield thumping at the hands of the South Sydney Rabbitohs to win four of their opening six games.

Among the best of coach Anthony Griffin's men have been young forwards Tyrell Fuimaono and Josh Kerr, two rising stars who'd even squeezed Merrin into starting on the bench in every one of the first five rounds.

Merrin said the club's blossoming crop of youngsters had helped him reach his retirement call.

"It's a monkey off the back, to be honest. It was one of the hardest things I had to do but one of the easiest things I had to do," Merrin said.

"As I said to the boys, the way that they're going, the way that the club is in good hands and the talent coming through - it made my decision a lot easier and ... it was a big relief. I took a big breath."

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/mor...e-of-retirement-call/ar-BB1fT4Vl?viewall=true

BLM01

First Grade
Very humble press conference, Well done Trent. Congrats on a good career & farewell to the final link in our last premiership.
It may be silly but keep on dancing.

I agree.
Whilst I thought his time was up watching him last year and that he went a year too long I can say with confidence what a refreshing honest, humble interview without the cliches, pre planned statements and spin without a media or players managers influence.
A lot could learn from that and not only players.
Well done to both Trent & Hook for that 15mins.

thebigredv

First Grade
I agree.
Whilst I thought his time was up watching him last year and that he went a year too long I can say with confidence what a refreshing honest, humble interview without the cliches, pre planned statements and spin without a media or players managers influence.
A lot could learn from that and not only players.
Well done to both Trent & Hook for that 15mins.

Cameron Smith should take note.