What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Merrin Retires Effective Immediatley

denis preston

First Grade
Cant help but think this is a staged plan between Hook & Merrin to free up some more money. Win -Win as Merrin gets to go out with honour ( and not rot in Ressies ) and is offered a club role at the club in his retirement . Await another mid season signing !

Dragon David

First Grade
I agree.
Whilst I thought his time was up watching him last year and that he went a year too long I can say with confidence what a refreshing honest, humble interview without the cliches, pre planned statements and spin without a media or players managers influence.
A lot could learn from that and not only players.
Well done to both Trent & Hook for that 15mins.
Well said BLM01. Both Trent and Hook have done us proud the way they expressed themselves during the interview. It would be good if one day Trent could be some sort of ambassador for the club or even be a coach of the younger boys and girls wanting to learn more on how to play rugby league. His honesty will take him a long way in this world.

getsmarty

Immortal
Trent Merrin "should be proud" of distinguished career and honourable departure: Voss
By Lachlan Geleit 11 hours ago
trentmerrin.jfif

Rugby league great Trent Merrin announced his NRL retirement on Wednesday.

The prop leaves the game having represented his state, his country, Penrith and St. George Illawarra with distinction.

Despite having played the opening six games of the NRL season for the Dragons, Merrin decided that he no longer has the desire to play at the top level and in doing so walked away from the game with an honourable gesture.

The 31-year-old simply said goodbye to the game without asking for an extra dollar despite having a right to his 2021 contract, and SEN host Andrew Voss paid tribute to the departing veteran.

“In a week where greed in sport has come to the fore with the European Super League, I come into context with rugby league,” Voss said on SEN 1170 Breakfast.

“Former New South Wales Origin star and Australian rep – the Dragons' Trent Merrin, deserving praise and our admiration after retiring yesterday.

“He’s called it quits with immediate effect, in his words, ‘This is a decision where I need to be true to myself, I’ve outgrown the game, and the game has outgrown me. Although my appreciation for the rugby league will never die’.

“Despite playing in all six games this year, I guess you could say the fire in this Dragon has gone out.

“Coach Anthony Griffin spelled out the character of Trent Merrin yesterday saying, ‘I think it’s one of the most selfless things that I’ve seen a player do, that he hasn’t asked for any money and he hasn’t asked for any time. He could have hung around for the next 20 weeks and picked up his cheque and played off the bench, but he realises he’s not getting what he needs out of the game to fulfil himself. In doing that, he realised the club is not getting out of his spot what it needs from him’.

“Trent has lived the dream, from his story as a young bloke, as a 14-year-old he weighed 114 kilos, by the under 18s he weighed 118 kilos.

“Overweight, he got sick of being the fat kid at high school, and his dad who played for Newtown back in the day would have Trent run too and from training in a garbage bag.

“This young fella, training in isolation to lose weight.

“Trent Merrin went on to be a first-grade star, 250 top-grade games, 13 Origins, seven Test matches and finishes his career on his terms.

“No handout for money, just thankful for what the game has given him.

“Well done Trent Merrin, be proud of what you achieved and certainly in your exit from all rugby league fans.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/04...proud-of-distinguished-career-and-honourable/

BLM01

First Grade
Were we really that desperate that we signed Merrin on a two year deal worth 350k and we let Leilua go to do it?

Am i reading that right. We have paid him already 350K this year and he has relinquished 350K for the next 6 months. How else does he free up 350K..
350K we have to spend has to be his 6 months + other money left to fill our 30th spot incl JDB after signing McGuire
Surely McGrexit and Millward did not sign him for 700K a season...surely not

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Am i reading that right. We have paid him already 350K this year and he has relinquished 350K for the next 6 months. How else does he free up 350K..
350K we have to spend has to be his 6 months + other money left to fill our 30th spot incl JDB after signing McGuire
He must have felt guilty. We should be able to sign a decent replacement with that coin.

qld redvee

Juniors

BLM01
the way it reads sure sounds like merrin was on around 700 K a year ... if true then we certainly paid overs for him didnt we .. No wonder he wanted out of SL
I think Hook has a ceiling on what a player is worth and acts accordingly so as not to bend the cap out of shape
Anyway Go the mighties today and more importantly

LEST WE FORGET