What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 Vs Knights

Girds89

Bench
Haha watch critta basically every time he got the ball he straightened the attack and was looking to set up Charlie.

The flick pass didn't come off but wouldve been a thing of beauty. He drew in the players by straightening up the attack. Charlie wouldve scored if the pass was better.

Given it was his first game on the right and his best game of the season I don't think he should be getting moved. Not with how Burton is going on the left.

Girds89

Bench
Edwards- 8/10. Great to have him back. I think he makes that tackle at 100% fitness if he's hands ok. Was the only thing he did wrong

Too- 9/10 beast mode again

Burton- 7.5/10 another good game from Burt's. Love the lines he runs.

Critta- 8/10. 190m in attack, solid defence. Actually looked to pass, first time on the right. Good game.

Staines- 8.5/10 best game yet and for the opposite reasons you'd expect. All about his defence last night. Great decision making. Especially wrapping up best who is a beast.

Luai- 8/10- brilliant running most of the night. I did think he was a bit impatient a few times though.

Cleary- 7.5/10 probably one of his quiter games. I think he needed to slow us down a bit. We really rushed pur plays last night and tried to score of everything. Cleary needed to just roll the ball in and get 6 again a few times and newie wouldve been done much earlier.

Leota- 7/10 110m. Not bad but cleary has got him sitting on the bench for a large period of time. Has happened last few weeks. Would live to see him come back on earlier for eiso.

Kenny- 9/10 50+ tackles again. A few good runs. Great effort

Jfh 8.5/10 standard fish.

Kikau 6.5/10. Bit disappointing tonight. Made plenty of meters and did well for bizzas try but really soft defence.

Capewell 7.5/10. Solid game

Yeo 8/10 as per fish..expect no less these days with yeoy.

May 7/10 solid. Didn't really do much but good defence in the middle.

Spencer 7/10 one of his quite games. Not a lot of involvement but still gets us on the front foot regularly

Eiso 7.5/10 solid game but I'd like to see leota back on earlier for him

Martin 8/10. Thought he was strong again tonight. Some really strong carries and was punishing in defence.

Ivan got his bench rotation all out of whack Tonight. Didn't really seem to flow.

Overall I don't think we were anywhere near our best but just to classy for Newcastle.

Really happy for Charlie. He's slowly improving every week which is fantastic.

WestyLife

First Grade
I've got not much I can critique. Kikau was probably our worst and that was a few moments mixed in an otherwise good game. Has to work on getting his defence right whatever happened on Knight's try was weird and it was the one time Edwards looked unsure of his hand.

I never once felt nervous honestly and having Edwards back was probably why. Defensively I wouldn't trade him for anyone and getting Api back soon is just ridiculous haha.

The_Frog

First Grade
Overall I don't think we were anywhere near our best but just to classy for Newcastle.
It was a game won on defence, like every other game this year. If Ciraldo is responsible for this team's defence, it is easy to see why he doesn't want to leave when his work is bearing fruit like this.

Even the 2018 Roosters, a renowned defensive outfit at the peak of their powers, in the last 7 regular games conceded 14 tries against our 8 in 7 games this year, only two in the second half.

I've got not much I can critique. Kikau was probably our worst and that was a few moments mixed in an otherwise good game.
Poor first stint but better second.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Not sure what people were expecting? Crichton is well known for being a ball hog who's bombed a lot of tries with the defence not even shifting across and having plenty of time to throw a pass but doesn't.

The best way to use Staines will be set plays in field or when Cleary brings back those big hooping cut out passes.

To'o does get it more but he has more attacking players inside him. The right is the steady side so as a result spread it wide less

franklin2323

Immortal
Haha watch critta basically every time he got the ball he straightened the attack and was looking to set up Charlie.

The flick pass didn't come off but wouldve been a thing of beauty. He drew in the players by straightening up the attack. Charlie wouldve scored if the pass was better.

Given it was his first game on the right and his best game of the season I don't think he should be getting moved. Not with how Burton is going on the left.

I have to watch it for time stamps but a couple of times in the 2nd half he got a poor pass. Slowed it down and blew any chance of Staines getting it.

1 was he got it off a bounce. Another he had to jump for it those split seconds are what limits what the centre can do.

Same sort of thing happened when Mom was there just people like Critter and not Mom

betcats

Referee
Critta definitely gave staines good early ball a couple of times. I will watch the replay over the weekend and call out when he did cause I remember seeing it. The flick pass he threw was cause he had Bradmen best coming at him from the other side. He probably just could have passed it straight away to staines but instead he took the space in front of him and drew the winger to him which is what he would be coached to do. Hindsight is a wonderful thing for us but the players don't get it, they don't the aerial shots and replays that we do. They just get a split second to make a decision.

betcats

Referee
It was a game won on defence, like every other game this year. If Ciraldo is responsible for this team's defence, it is easy to see why he doesn't want to leave when his work is bearing fruit like this.

Even the 2018 Roosters, a renowned defensive outfit at the peak of their powers, in the last 7 regular games conceded 14 tries against our 8 in 7 games this year, only two in the second half.

Yep it took two pretty bad defensive plays from us to concede last night, Kikau does have the odd shocker in him but 99 times out of 100 Dylan will make that tackle. Besides that try there was once or twice Ponga threatened, he skinned Nath once but by the end of the first half that right side defence was purring. Nath, Critta and especially Staines were making really good decisions defensively last night.

WestyLife

First Grade
I have to watch it for time stamps but a couple of times in the 2nd half he got a poor pass. Slowed it down and blew any chance of Staines getting it.

1 was he got it off a bounce. Another he had to jump for it those split seconds are what limits what the centre can do.

Same sort of thing happened when Mom was there just people like Critter and not Mom

I disagree I gave Momirovski credit with the one where he juggled it that it would've made it harder so my standard is equal across the players.

Abacus

Juniors
Really surprised that there is any negativity after last night's match. Newcastle came with a plan to bash us in the forwards, which our pack handled fairly comfortably.

Their only try was from Kikau pulling out of what would have been a high tackle. It looks like he's trying to restrain himself defensively the past 2-3 weeks to avoid regular judiciary visits.

Otherwise their only real moments of danger was when Ponga was doing Ponga-type things.

I can't fault anyone from last night but if Api returns next week, I have May as the unlucky one to miss out.

WestyLife

First Grade
Really surprised that there is any negativity after last night's match. Newcastle came with a plan to bash us in the forwards, which our pack handled fairly comfortably.

Their only try was from Kikau pulling out of what would have been a high tackle. It looks like he's trying to restrain himself defensively the past 2-3 weeks to avoid regular judiciary visits.

Otherwise their only real moments of danger was when Ponga was doing Ponga-type things.

I can't fault anyone from last night but if Api returns next week, I have May as the unlucky one to miss out.

Brandy said it'll be Kenny who misses out.

franklin2323

Immortal

Yeah our defence is the most pleasing part of our game.

I can't see any side stopping our left from racking up points

The Realist

Juniors
Well he threw a stupid flick pass when a normal pass leads to a try. There were a few others but like my post above. He got a poor pass so the pass wasn't on.

I thought so too watching it live but the replay shows that he drew the winger in to the point where he could not pass it normally and only a flick was possible. Had he thrown a normal pass, it would have had to be earlier meaning the Knights winger would still have been marking up on Staines.

Latest posts