What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 Vs Knights

franklin2323

Immortal
I thought so too watching it live but the replay shows that he drew the winger in to the point where he could not pass it normally and only a flick was possible. Had he thrown a normal pass, it would have had to be earlier meaning the Knights winger would still have been marking up on Staines.

So again comes to those inside not giving him and Staines enough room. That is the issue on the right...That said though the left side bombed plenty of tries too

betcats

Referee
So again comes to those inside not giving him and Staines enough room. That is the issue on the right...That said though the left side bombed plenty of tries too

Not on that play I dont think. If my memory is right that play started down the left hand side then after an offload or something it was quickly spread right to critta, it couldnt have got to him any faster.

franklin2323

Immortal
Not on that play I dont think. If my memory is right that play started down the left hand side then after an offload or something it was quickly spread right to critta, it couldnt have got to him any faster.

It was just passed across field though. No one straightened up drew the defender then passed. That is the key to getting centres one on one.

That is how Burton is going through untouched Luai is engaging his opposite. Kikau attracting 2 defenders and the gap is opening compare it to the right.

The right side is scoring tries so it isn't like they are struggling just doing things differently but as a result Staines is getting less opportunities

WestyLife

First Grade
It was just passed across field though. No one straightened up drew the defender then passed. That is the key to getting centres one on one.

That is how Burton is going through untouched Luai is engaging his opposite. Kikau attracting 2 defenders and the gap is opening compare it to the right.

The right side is scoring tries so it isn't like they are struggling just doing things differently but as a result Staines is getting less opportunities

Yes but we can show instances of Momirovski killing legit overlaps by not considering the pass. You're not going to justify that by comparing it to Crichton executing a flick badly.

betcats

Referee

Most sides have a better attacking side and it is usually the left. That is true for us, Melbourne and the rabbits. Probably other sides also but they dont really matter.

betcats

Referee
Luai has been fantastic but that was the type of game he can't have in the finals. Sometimes he just needs to slow down a little and not push things

Nath also didnt play is usual game. Normally if we dominate a game like that we would have 3 or 4 linedrop outs but I can't remember us even trying for one last night. They were both looking to score every set for most of the game. Even when we got that penalty goal Nath was arguing with the call(which made me laugh), he wanted to go for it.

The Realist

Juniors
Luai has been fantastic but that was the type of game he can't have in the finals. Sometimes he just needs to slow down a little and not push things

Absolutely. Luai was absolutely shredding them at times but also bombed field position and a few tries.

The worst was when were were camped on the Newcastle line with multiple set restarts only for him to spin the ball out to To'o on the 2nd tackle which lead to the No Try - Penalty. We do that sorta stuff against Storm, Rabbitohs or Roosters and they will make you pay.

betcats

Referee
I think Luai needs to get more selfish, with time and space he should be looking to run first. There are times like in the first half when he has retreating defence in front of him and he is straight away looking for who he should pass or kick for. He ran it a lot more in the second half and carved them up.

The Realist

Juniors
Most sides have a better attacking side and it is usually the left. That is true for us, Melbourne and the rabbits. Probably other sides also but they dont really matter.

That is simply a function of physiology. Most players are right handed, and it is easier for right handers to throw passes right to left.

What separates the good teams from the rest is to have a right side attack that is effective enough to ensure the defence doesn't load up on one side and if they do - punish it.

maple_69

Bench
I think we are generally turning down the set restart in favour of going through the hands a lot more this year. Sure against the top sides we absolutely need to be able to control the game ruthlessly but against the bottom 10 sides it absolutely makes sense to run through our plays as much as possible. The only area we are weaker than the great premiership Roosters and Storm sides of recent years is our ability to just trot out a play with surgeon like precision and execution and pull a defence apart. At the moment we’re pulling defences apart no problems, but one pass will be just off or we’ll spill it over the line. We’re not going to develop that by spending our season strangling average sides.

hindy111

Post Whore
Watching the last night game.
*Side was dominant but gave away bad tackle re sets on the 4th.
*They seem to take foot off a little of late and at 10-0 that was the times to go up and kill the game. Hit 16 and it quickly becomes a training run.

* Knights where average. Their kicking game was putrid. Blake Green? Gee.
Didn't look like scoring. Take Ponga out of that side and they are close to bottom 4.

* Burton stays in side for mine. He is just a more talented player the Momomorski.

* Kenny's been good. But he offers nothing in attack. Korisau seems to be forgotten how good he is. His attack is on par with Cleary and Lui if not better. May is the best option as utility.

The Realist

Juniors
I think Luai needs to get more selfish, with time and space he should be looking to run first. There are times like in the first half when he has retreating defence in front of him and he is straight away looking for who he should pass or kick for. He ran it a lot more in the second half and carved them up.

Great observation. I also thought that a few times when he ran into the defence he should have just kept the ball instead of throwing a (bad/risky) pass. Sure most of the time he'd have been tackled but sometimes the tackles don't stick then he'd be in the clear. He rarely seems to give himself the chance to do it.

maple_69

Bench
Solid performance last night from everyone. Kikau a bit rocks and diamonds. Critta was solid on the right and I felt while still clunky there was a bit more directness about his work. We’ll see in a couple weeks.

I think To’o should get the 3 points. No one really starred but his tough runs/quick play the balls when we’re deep in our half are crucial to us playing the game in the opposition half for most of the game.

maple_69

Bench
I’m puzzled by what we’re doing with our forward rotation. Leniu and Leota are getting like 40 minutes between them. Maybe Cleary is just seeing what he’s got. Seems content for Eiso and May to play tight and percentage footy for half an hour each. You need guys to play those roles but weird that we’re not getting May into those right side movements that he can be really effective in.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yes but we can show instances of Momirovski killing legit overlaps by not considering the pass. You're not going to justify that by comparing it to Crichton executing a flick badly.

There was probably other cases I just haven't re-watched the game yet.

I see the issue as being inside the centre. I saw no more space last night then any game this year

franklin2323

Immortal
Nath also didnt play is usual game. Normally if we dominate a game like that we would have 3 or 4 linedrop outs but I can't remember us even trying for one last night. They were both looking to score every set for most of the game. Even when we got that penalty goal Nath was arguing with the call(which made me laugh), he wanted to go for it.

The only kick ingoal was from Staines when he ran out of room

franklin2323

Immortal

Yep pretty much this. I have no issue with it but just need to adjust the expectations to match reality

WestyLife

First Grade
There was probably other cases I just haven't re-watched the game yet.

I see the issue as being inside the centre. I saw no more space last night then any game this year

Last start against Beoncos we had an unmarked winger. Knights were better at keeping their defence but I've only watched once so far.

martielang

Bench
Leota seems to be the one missing out for me. Not sure how he only gets 25 minutes. Thought he was our best forward in his first stint & seems to have gone up another level from last year but his minutes seem to be decreasing. Seems pointless carrying Eiso & Leniu on the bench with Martin & May spending time in the middle.

Latest posts