What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coach Ivan Cleary

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Just after everyone’s thoughts.

I realise he’s not Bennett, Belly Ache or Robinson.

but what exactly does Ivan have to do to get some recognition for the seriously good job he’s done?

All I ever seem to hear about is the negative shit, or how good his assistant coaches are, like Baz for instance.

I’m just wondering what he has to do.

Last edited:

Fangs

Coach
Has to win a premiership. Look at Brian Smith to see how Ivan will be regarded if he doesn't win one.

Jane Murray

Bench

but what exactly does Ivan have to do to get some recognition for the seriously good job he’s done?

I’ll I ever seem to hear about is the negative shit, or how good his assistant coaches are, like Baz for instance.

Well I believe that Baz's influence has been disproven. Also, win a premiership, or two, will help his cause.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Nah mate give him a soccer ball,send him to England to play in the PL and sign on as his mr 10%
I tried to push Golf as well but the kid lives and breathes league (which makes me prouder than anything by the way)

betcats

Referee
Good post, I think he is pretty good coach and deserves a ton of credit. Tactics is only a part of coaching, and probably not the most important part. Getting everyone working hard for each other and having them ready to play each week is the hardest part from my outsiders perspective. We have a great group of players here, an incredible group really but Ivan has them ready to go every week, the culture and solidarity of the group is a big strength for this team.

Not only that I think Ivan has a great track record of getting the best our of halves and a lot of guys who would be called plodders or journeymen.

franklin2323

Immortal

I’ll I ever seem to hear about is the negative shit, or how good his assistant coaches are, like Baz for instance.

Win a comp for starters but he's win % is way down on those others. Keep winning games really

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I’m not convinced wining a Comp will change that much.

Hook has won 4 games and listen to the way he gets spoken about.

I was personally never Ivan’s biggest fan, mostly because of the way he was during his 1st stint.

but credit where credit is due. He’s been tremendous for us since he’s come back. I really rate him.

Fangs

Coach
I’m not convinced wining a Comp will change that much.

Hook has won 4 games and listen to the way he gets spoken about.

I was personally never Ivan’s biggest fan, mostly because of the way he was during his 1st stint.

but credit where credit is due. He’s been tremendous for us since he’s come back. I really rate him.

With Hook he came into Penrith (And the Dragons) after they heavily underperformed the year previous. He also came out a bit cleaner after getting the sack from Panthers. His public rep is pretty good.

While Ivan has recovered from a disastrous 2019 campaign he still has the Tigers exit to deal with.

chrisD

Coach
The conversation is poisoned here because no-one wanted him back, that's why you get dumb shit like trying to shift the focus to assistants.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
With Hook he came into Penrith (And the Dragons) after they heavily underperformed the year previous. He also came out a bit cleaner after getting the sack from Panthers. His public rep is pretty good.

While Ivan has recovered from a disastrous 2019 campaign he still has the Tigers exit to deal with.

So team performance doesn’t matter?

He’s the coach of arguably the best Club Rugby League team in the world, which he’s played a major role in creating, I think he deserves more credit as a coach.

Grand final win or not.