What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New North American Competition?

ACE88

Juniors
I think this is ABSOLUTELY Brilliant going forward.

These people sound like they have done the research and Planning into having a viable professional competition in North America and are ready to kickoff the next stage of the business plan.

I think the Rugby League community need to get behind this @100% support.

im all for it. North American Sport is money driven, it’s not like Australia and the UK where even though they have high profile professional competitions, the focus is Always on grassroots and that’s the way it should be.

BUT!

Major Sports teams in the US are driven by the power of money and corporate sponsorship and with wealthy Team owners with very deep pockets.

I believe that, in the US you need to grow the game of Rugby League in reverse.

So having a Professional or even Semi-Pro competition of AMERICAN Teams Showing on North American TV Is a positive step To building the game on a grand scale.

I would love to see the USARL and CRL support this Competition, as this will also benefit, them when it comes to international games and World Cup competition.

it would be good for the NARL to have a representative from the USARL and CRL on there board, this will show the IRL that all parties are willing to work together to grow and foster the game in North America.

DIEHARDTITAN

Juniors
I think the Rugby League community need to get behind this @100% support.

I totally agree. We should all pick some sides and get involved.

I got Boston13s in the East, San Francisco Rush in the West and Toronto from the Canadian teams.

If it gives Rugby League a chance to show itself off, it'll be a success. Backed with sensible and stable investment.

ACE88

Juniors
I totally agree. We should all pick some sides and get involved.

I got Boston13s in the East, San Francisco Rush in the West and Toronto from the Canadian teams.

If it gives Rugby League a chance to show itself off, it'll be a success. Backed with sensible and stable investment.
Great idea, I’m going with the Vegas Blackjacks, New York and the Wolfpack.

spinnerhowland

Juniors

RedVee

First Grade
I’m interested in how this all come about. I assume the teams hoping for the UK like Ottawa & New York diverted their attention locally.

From Spinner @spinnerhowland It seems a lot (most?) of the USARL were ignored, or selectively excluded.

Perhaps the NARL worked from the strategic ‘dots on the map’ POV. Hence some of these new locations / teams.

Were the Chicago Stockyarders approached? @The Stockyarder

Last edited:

spinnerhowland

Juniors
No team except for Atlanta, Boston and Brooklyn were aware of the NARL until it was announced. The other USARL teams, and the USARL, were purposely excluded. The 3 teams who are playing al had to sign NDA's as part of their contract. And yet, this is still true :

taste2taste

Juniors
Eddy Pettybourne has signed with Brooklyn. This guy is well travelled having played in the NRL, Super League and France. A very good interview with him on Chasing Roos podcast.

taste2taste

Juniors
I'll be watching the growth of this comp closely.

This will start very small, as a comparison Major League Rugby Union is only a few years old, they have a decent TV deal, have international star players but still only attract crowds of less than 2,000 and games are easily outrated on TV by I Love Lucy reruns.

The big advantage league has for capturing an audience is its easy to follow and is a better viewing spectacle.

Good luck to league in North America, its the grail for all sports... Could you imagine if it gains support ? Even crowds of 8k and a salary cap of 5mil would make it the second biggest league comp in the world :D

spinnerhowland

Juniors
Brooklyn, Boston and Atlanta have all left the USARL and will only play in the NARL. Word is that White Plains Wombats will not play this season, and will put what efforts they can into the New York team. Still cannot understand why the NARL would not have reached out to all the USARL and teams. Also hearing that some of the leadership groups in the former USARL teams had influence on excluding other teams based on personal opinions.

wain

Juniors
Brooklyn, Boston and Atlanta have all left the USARL and will only play in the NARL. Word is that White Plains Wombats will not play this season, and will put what efforts they can into the New York team. Still cannot understand why the NARL would not have reached out to all the USARL and teams. Also hearing that some of the leadership groups in the former USARL teams had influence on excluding other teams based on personal opinions.
wow, so sad to see this happening again.
Its hard to remain excited about any possible growth that comes out of the new league when its going to create so much tension in the country. That being said, the USARL had seemed to stagnate a lot over the last couple of years, from an outsiders perspective.

Seriously, we now have 3 leagues in the USA, none of which seem aligned, and all with their own interests.

What do you think is a positive solution in all this @spinnerhowland?

Last edited:

ACE88

Juniors
As a USA Rugby League Fan, I would like to see all 3 Leagues (USARL, NARL & The California RL) work together to build a strong Rugby League Community in the US. This is how I would do that.

The NARL & Cali RL need to accept the USARL as the official governing Body in the US. I don’t think the USARL need to advise the NARL and Cali RL how to run or operate those organisation’s, as long as they operate within the guidelines of the International Rugby League Rules of Law.

I think the USARL are in the best position right now! So what does that mean?, You have an organisation (NARL) that is willing to run, operate and finance a Professional Rugby League Competition in North America who are also prepared to grow the game at grassroots level (which is part of the NARL’s Grant funding criteria per club), and you also have a group in California developing the game in the West.

So then there is the USARL run National Competition which all teams are located in the East (North & South Conference’s). Now for this East Competition, I Think that the USARL should form a Group to run, Operate and Develop the competition in the East and call it “THE USARL ATLANTIC CONFERENCE” (USAC), While the Group in California could be re-branded as “THE USARL PACIFIC CONFERENCE” (USPC).

The winning teams from each conference will play in “THE UNITED STATES NATIONAL CHAMPIONS of RUGBY LEAGUE GRAND FINAL” (USNC) that could be played to determine the “UNITED STATES NATIONAL CHAMPIONS” and the winner of the USNC can go on to play the “NORTH AMERICAN NATIONAL CHAMPIONS” of the “NARL” in an “ALL AMERICAN SUPER FINAL” with the winning Club being named the “ALL AMERICAN SUPER CLUB CHAMPIONS OF RUGBY LEAGUE”.

A three game PACIFIC vs ATLANTIC Ocean of Origin Series could be created which will also include players from the NARL Competition and also include non-American born Players. I think this idea will create a lot of interest in the Media. For the non-American Players to be eligible for selection they need to have been born in a Country in the Pacific or the Atlantic.

The American All Stars NORTH vs SOUTH game will become two games, one played in the East one week and the other game played in the West the next week. These games will be very important events leading up to the end of year International programme which Will be played as final hit out Game’s for player Selection into the USARL HAWKS Team.

The NORTH vs SOUTH Game will also include top American players playing in the NARL, NRL and Super League. The NORTH vs SOUTH game will be the only way you can be selected for a position on the MIGHTY HAWKS Roster

Having a two game NORTH vs SOUTH Series will crate massive interest for HAWKE selection, the BEST of the BEST on show.

What I have written is fantasy, at the end of the day, all parties need to work together in order for Rugby League to thrive in America.

Last edited: