What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Passion of the Kevin

blaza88z

Coach
I think it will turn around, there's no quick fix though and there's going to have to be some big decisions made

The issue is that the Broncos couldn't just go out and sign a Craig Bellamy or a Trent Robinson. They weren't available and even if they were they would never stake their reputation on a mess of a club right now. So either came down to a disgraced coach like Paul Green or somebody who has an obvious passion for the role and the club in Walters.

Kev's job right now is the most thankless role in the NRL. It's like Nathan Brown at the Knights where all he can do is ride this mess out and hope that the Bullemors, Fleglers, Rikis etc. of the squad can improve and they can at least set themselves up for 2023 or 2024. By that point, Kev will likely be out of a job and they'll bring in an assistant who will actually have some freedom to put together the roster he wants.

The whole mismanagement of the club goes back to the new television deal. Brisbane had the most amount of players off contract and when the Dragons threw that ridiculous deal at Hunt and when the Titans did the same with Taylor it spooked the club. They made all these commitments with the idea that the players would play under Bennett only to try and sign Bellamy behind Bennett's back. Then instead of trying to make peace they decided to go on with it and punted him for a rookie coach who was all hype.

Players start leaving the titanic and in order to keep a few of them Seibs throws these ridiculous contracts which just makes the salary cap worse. Players like Lodge, Pangai Jr and Oates all got paid ridiculous sums and they started promoting rookies on NRL deals well before they were ready.

With that said, Kev hasn't really been that impressive. Supposedly he re-signed Flegler on a $650,000 deal when really outside of Haas nobody deserved to be paid. Apparently he's looking to re-sign Staggs on $700,000 which is ridiculous and Coates is looking at $500,000 which again, why? They let Walsh go because $400,000 was unreasonable for a 18 year old fullback but $400,000 for an 18 year old second rower is more than reasonable. Made a big song and dance about starting Dearden in QCup only to call him up after one game and then play him in a glut of games against the top teams so he's absolutely shot. The one marquee signing he made was Asiata who was supposed to add a new dimension to the attack but he can barely get a game. Brisbane had two roster spots and instead of looking to recruit a player in a position of need on a short term deal he goes out and promotes the aforementioned 18 year old backrow and Danny Levi. I have no idea what he was thinking with the last signing considering he could have signed him on a train and trial deal and brought him up that way since the Broncos depth at dummy half is shot. The only free agents being linked to the club are his son and 34 going on 35 year old Karmichael Hunt who hasn't played NRL in 12 years.

Agreed mate.

I hated the Broncos in the 90’s - yep there was a rivalry but I also now realise that for many reasons, it was just coz they were so good.

I lost my hatred for them ages ago. And it coincides with their decline.... and funnily enough once Bennett left them to coach my mob.

The lustre of the broncos has long since gone. And I’m saddened in a way, your once mighty arch enemy is now not even a shadow of what they once were. You need arch enemies to be strong .... otherwise what’s the point of them...

But throughout all the broncos glory years of the 80’s, 90’s and early 2000’s... the broncos I hated... there was one player who I just couldn’t hate. Found it impossible to hate... even though he wore the despised yellow n maroon...

Kevin Walters. I actually liked Kevin. You couldn’t not.

Others like yourself Pete will have a far better knowledge of what’s led to the demise of this once Rugby League Superpower... and well put in your post. I would think that they outsmarted them self by trading their star coach away thinking they were “bigger than Wayne Bennett”.

How to fix them? It’s anyone’s guess...

But I always think of what a modern day rugby league superpower did when they hit the skids...

The 2009 Roosters were abysmal and won the wooden spoon. Swift, sharp action was taken on many fronts.... and they made the grand final the following year. You can only put that down to astute management, recognising failing and taking ownership to get things right again. They did and have been close to the top side of the next decade.

Pains me to say it but, the Roosters are an example to all teams here. Failures should not last more than a season or two. The broncos, a once proud club, are now a punchline. 2 seasons of misery, and now a 3rd isn’t getting any better. They need to get as ruthless as possible - but from the top to the bottom - exec, management, and players... get the broom right through the place.

I never thought the issues primarily rested with Siebold. I don’t think the issues now primarily rest with Walters either. It’s just a club that’s imploded on a supernova scale - and it’s been self-inflicted.

They’ll be back one day. But I fear for broncos fans it’ll be a few more seasons until the signs will be there that it’ll heading in the right direction.

Exsilium

First Grade
The NRL has had a lack of quality coaches for several years now. Clubs inevitably will have to transition through less than desirable options but even then you’re hoping for a big name to come in or simply luck out on a young coach.

There’s been so many who had the pedigree but didn’t succeed. Unfortunately a lot of those coaches were dealing with more than just a shit roster.

In Brisbane’s case, I think the bigger travesty is that those good young players will be ruined under Kevvie.

Reflector

Juniors
I am not sure if Kevvie is a first grade coach. He may prove me wrong, but when he starts delivering pre game sprays one week and showing passion for the jersey the following week, it may illustrate that tactically he is not up to scratch.

When he was coaching origin in the last couple of series, he lost against Freddie. Freddie himself was then outplayed by Bennett's spare parts Qld side last year. That says alot about Kevvie. He was showing passion for Qld and is now showing passion for his beloved club. However, he needs to have the nous to survive as a first grade coach.

The old boys wanted Kevvie. An old boy returning as coach doesn't always work out. Remember Cronin at Parra, Coleman at Souths, Mal at Canberra, Mary and Brown at the Dragons, Pearce at Balmain etc. Sure a club like Manly has had success with their old boys such as Willey, Stanton, Fulton and Hasler.

But when you get your first wooden spoon, you needed to get the right man for job without the emotion. Brisbane choosing Kevvie was in part down to emotion. Kevvie is displaying plenty of it, and fair play to him, but I don't think the Broncos got the right man.

TBF the bolded has more to do with Bennett's experience and wisdom than Freddie's inability to coach NSW. I can't speak for others when they saw the predicted line-up/ the actual line up of the Maroons last year, but despite some notable omissions I never thought Qld were written off as long as W.Bennett was their coach. Mr Burns is no mug- he wouldn't have taken the Qld job if he didn't think they were a decent chance at winning.

Wayne has been coaching consistently in 1st grade since Freddie was mucking around in Penrith as a junior high school kid and lifting polo shirts from Walton's, this shouldn't be forgotten....

Reflector

Juniors
We've all seen how great Bellamy is when not benefiting from systems and players built on cheating.

How'd he go against Qld?

Badly.

Bingo. Yet I have people defending him by going "Yeah but look at those Qld sides he was up against- nobody was beating them".

I don't agree- two of those series were close losses that could've gone the other way. Regardless of who Qld had in their squad between 2008-2010, those Bellamy NSW teams played some of the grubbiest, most one-dimensional football I've seen. It gave a real insight into what the Storm would've been like without Slater, Inglis, Smith and Cronk to close out games for them.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Bingo. Yet I have people defending him by going "Yeah but look at those Qld sides he was up against- nobody was beating them".

I don't agree- two of those series were close losses that could've gone the other way. Regardless of who Qld had in their squad between 2008-2010, those Bellamy NSW teams played some of the grubbiest, most one-dimensional football I've seen. It gave a real insight into what the Storm would've been like without Slater, Inglis, Smith and Cronk to close out games for them.

Exactly. Qld sides led by a core of storm players who were intricately aware of each others games due to playing in the same team for years and years while cheating the salary cap to do so...

Kev is the Craig Coleman equivalent as coach.

Ex player and passionate club man. But you wonder if the world has moved on from his time and his style.

That Broncos squad needs to be disassembled and fked off. They’re an embarrassment and I think worse than the Souffs era of diabolical in the 00’s.
This is my favourite Broncos squad of all time. May it never change.

TBF the bolded has more to do with Bennett's experience and wisdom than Freddie's inability to coach NSW. I can't speak for others when they saw the predicted line-up/ the actual line up of the Maroons last year, but despite some notable omissions I never thought Qld were written off as long as W.Bennett was their coach. Mr Burns is no mug- he wouldn't have taken the Qld job if he didn't think they were a decent chance at winning.

Wayne has been coaching consistently in 1st grade since Freddie was mucking around in Penrith as a junior high school kid and lifting polo shirts from Walton's, this shouldn't be forgotten....

Agree. I think it was indeed the worst Qld side in recent memory. But it was also NSW’s worst side. Qld adapted far better to the conditions than NSW did. And to do that, they can thank Wayne Bennett..

Coaching at club level and origin level are two very very different beasts though. And it’s arguable that only 2 blokes have been able to do both with any level of sustained success.

Gould and Bennett.

Suggesting Bellamy has failings as a coach for his origin record is off the mark for mine. He’s coached the Storm through his early years to success, then one boosted by salary cap rorting, but then again... rebuilding a team blown apart to win the comp only 2 years later.., and multiple premierships thereafter. The guy is an outstanding club coach. And players want to play for him, and much of the time for less money they could get elsewhere.

If Kevin Walters had Mal Meningas sides I reckon he’d have had great success, possibly at a similar level to Mal. Instead he got the remnants of Qld after all the stars had faded away. Similarly he’s got the Broncos when the stars have not only faded away... but have imploded.

I think he’s on a hiding to nothing this year... they desperately need new talent in many positions and I don’t know if he’s the coach who’s gonna attract big namers up to head to him. Guys like Bennett n Bellamy can attract people like that easy. But Kevvie...

Walters may well be a good coach... but so far he’s had the chance to only coach teams who are well beyond their prime...

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Suggesting Bellamy has failings as a coach for his origin record is off the mark for mine. He’s coached the Storm through his early years to success, then one boosted by salary cap rorting, but then again... rebuilding a team blown apart to win the comp only 2 years later.., and multiple premierships thereafter. The guy is an outstanding club coach. And players want to play for him, and much of the time for less money they could get elsewhere.

If Kevin Walters had Mal Meningas sides I reckon he’d have had great success, possibly at a similar level to Mal. Instead he got the remnants of Qld after all the stars had faded away. Similarly he’s got the Broncos when the stars have not only faded away... but have imploded.

I think he’s on a hiding to nothing this year... they desperately need new talent in many positions and I don’t know if he’s the coach who’s gonna attract big namers up to head to him. Guys like Bennett n Bellamy can attract people like that easy. But Kevvie...

Walters may well be a good coach... but so far he’s had the chance to only coach teams who are well beyond their prime...
Blown apart? Retaining 75% of a spine retained by cheating and several of their journeymen is hardly blown apart. If they'd been forced to start from scratch again, sure.

Latest posts