What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Henry Perenara retires

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
https://leagueunlimited.com/news/35818-prlmo-statement-on-the-retirement-of-henry-perenara/

Professional Rugby League Match Officials Incorporated (PRLMO) are aware news has been circulating regarding the medical retirement of one of the games most experienced match officials, Henry Perenara.

Henry has confirmed he has been diagnosed with exercise-induced supraventricular tachycardia (SVT), and on the advice of medical professionals, made the difficult decision to retire from on-field duties. The PRLMO have been working closely with Henry in recent weeks to support him through this process in every way possible.

Henry has had a remarkable career in the NRL as both a player and referee. He debuted for the Auckland Warriors in the year 2000 and went on to play 72 first grade game for five clubs. He also played two Test Matches for New Zealand Maori, and one for New Zealand.

Henry entered the refereeing ranks through a cadet program focused on former players. He made his debut in the middle in 2011, where he oversaw the Round 17 fixture between the Roosters and Raiders. He would go on to referee 205 first grade games, with a further 33 as a touch judge. His NRL match official number is 106. He has also referred 10 Test Matches and was recently selected as part of the International Rugby League's first ever Elite Match Official Squad.

"Henry's contribution to Rugby League as a player and match official is simply remarkable," said PRLMO Chairman Silvio Del Vecchio.

"To perform at this level on the game's biggest stage for over 20-years deserves our absolute respect and admiration."

Despite his retirement from on field duties, Henry will continue with the NRL Match Officials Department, working as a review official in the Bunker and performing a number of coaching functions with both top tier and up and coming match officials.

"The health and well-being of match officials has always been our top priority," Del Vecchio added.

"I want to sincerely thank Jared Maxwell and the NRL for their continued support of Henry.

Wizardman

First Grade
I feel sad about his health issues but he would have to have been the worst ref in the modern era. I hated my side involved in games where he reffed. All the best to him and his future.

Wizardman

First Grade
I feel sad about his health issues but he would have to have been the worst ref in the modern era. I hated my side involved in games where he reffed. All the best to him and his future.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Not a big fan of his refereeing, but I know some people that know him well and he is a good man.
I wish him all the best in whatever he does

Sphagnum

Coach
Good news that he hasn’t been lost to the game entirely. Is easily in the top 10 Video refs the last couple of seasons

giphy.gif

Coastbloke

Bench
Sad news, not a fan as a Knights supporter, but you need to look after your health...
Looks like the 'best RLWC' this year will still be a traditional RLWC joke with just Oz and Pom refs now..

Coastbloke

Bench
Sad news, not a fan as a Knights supporter, but you need to look after your health...
Looks like the 'best RLWC' this year will still be a traditional RLWC joke with just Oz and Pom refs now..

The bloke has dedicated his career to league both as a player and official.

It’s easy to bag refs.... like shooting fish in a barrel... yet these guys are now refereeing on their own, with multiple rules changing every year...

While I’ll swear at the refs when they blow the whistle against my team as much as the next fan... I’ll never criticise the integrity of these guys... they make decisions as they see it under the weight of the rules and burdens placed upon them by others..

Good luck to Henry - both in health and his next career step,