What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our next fullback

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I don't believe Cody has the prototype body for the modern day fullback. Maybe I'm wrong but unless he fills out a fair bit (and he already has this season) he'd get monstered back there. The one outside who would be currently available would be Hynes from the Storm and I wouldnt have an issue if we signed him.
He definitely needs to fill out and hopefully he does. He looks similar to Dugan and Brett Morris though when they first started so it is possible. Pap is about the same weight but is obviously a different animal. If he could get up to 90+ he would do the job. Trucking it from the wing he would probably need even more.

mickeylane

Bench
Still have hopes for Duf.
CC
I see major problems w Dufty, the same size as Papanhauzen, similar speed but a completely different commitment to the game...his defence on our line for the Roosters 3rd try was deplorable, I mean it was a slap at best and he was our last line of defence 1metre out ...he's not the future...and he will not improve much more...there's something eerily wrong w his game...he would be a smash hit in the ESL where i suggest he goes for 2 years to man up...

We need a steady FB that can defend, play the line and more importantly marshall the troupes...I cant believe i saw Manu go to FB yesterday and the roosters didnt miss a beat in fact they were better w Manu at FB than there were w Tedesco in the 1st half!! How does that happen??

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
I see major problems w Dufty, the same size as Papanhauzen, similar speed but a completely different commitment to the game...his defence on our line for the Roosters 3rd try was deplorable, I mean it was a slap at best and he was our last line of defence 1metre out ...he's not the future...and he will not improve much more...there's something eerily wrong w his game...he would be a smash hit in the ESL where i suggest he goes for 2 years to man up...

We need a steady FB that can defend, play the line and more importantly marshall the troupes...I cant believe i saw Manu go to FB yesterday and the roosters didnt miss a beat in fact they were better w Manu at FB than there were w Tedesco in the 1st half!! How does that happen??

Dufty's lapses in concentration (like against the Warriors) do him no favours but to be fair to bloke, he'd run more than 30 metres in a 12-man attack to get sidestepped for that try yesterday.

IMO he's improved significantly this year - his positioning is improved as has his communication.

Now we can argue that at his age he should have these attributes but I feel that's a bit like blaming a kid for not reading Shakespeare when the only teacher he's ever had was a moron.

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
I don't believe Cody has the prototype body for the modern day fullback. Maybe I'm wrong but unless he fills out a fair bit (and he already has this season) he'd get monstered back there. The one outside who would be currently available would be Hynes from the Storm and I wouldnt have an issue if we signed him.

Hey DS,

Just collected some of the sizes and weights of fullbacks across the NRL. I have left out the bigger fullbacks. You can see that our boys are not that much smaller and only behind in the weight department.

Ryan Papenhuyzen 181cm 80kg
Matthew Dufty 179cm 83kg
Cody Ramsey 183cm 82kg

Billy Slater 178cm 89kg (Late career playing weight)
Alexander Brimson 181cm 89kg (Titans)
Valentine Holmes 185cm 90kg
Scott Drinkwater 181cm 87kg
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 182cm 96kg
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 182cm 99kg
Reece Walsh 177cm 88kg (New Warriors fullback)

Dylan Edwards 183cm 94kg (panthers)
Charlie Staines 184cm 87kg (panthers)
James Tedesco 184cm 95kg

Dufty is not being ragged doll anywhere as much and is hitting the defenders at pace these days.

Gippsy

Bench
Some random thoughts on this:

I have been a Dufty fan and still hold hope that he will consistently play to his potential. But...times running out.

Could do a lot worse than Milf. He was a superstar a few years ago and you don't lose talent. And, he's still only 26.

I think Ramsay would make a good fist of FB, but not sure he will be the superstar we need though. Bit hard to tell at the moment as we're just not getting the ball to him to see what he can do.

From all reports, our long term FB, if we decide to fill from within, could be the next one down the line, young Sloan. Geez he moves well on the field, a bit Peachey-like.

I still think Hook knows what he's doing, so, time will tell.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Hey DS,

Just collected some of the sizes and weights of fullbacks across the NRL. I have left out the bigger fullbacks. You can see that our boys are not that much smaller and only behind in the weight department.

Ryan Papenhuyzen 181cm 80kg
Matthew Dufty 179cm 83kg
Cody Ramsey 183cm 82kg

Billy Slater 178cm 89kg (Late career playing weight)
Alexander Brimson 181cm 89kg (Titans)
Valentine Holmes 185cm 90kg
Scott Drinkwater 181cm 87kg
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 182cm 96kg
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 182cm 99kg
Reece Walsh 177cm 88kg (New Warriors fullback)
Dylan Edwards 183cm 94kg (panthers)
Charlie Staines 184cm 87kg (panthers)
James Tedesco 184cm 95kg

Dufty is not being ragged doll anywhere as much and is hitting the defenders at pace these days.

Hi RVR
it's not actually the heigh/weight ratio I was referring to more the body shape. I would reger to Cody as more of a 'skinny' kid, he's not going to fill out and become barrel chested (for want of a better few words). So for me his upper body strength wont be there no matter how much they stack on the weight. I feel though as a winger he has the right ratio with a little more for those bidtinh tackles without losing speed.
Put Rava and him sidebyside and you'll see what I mean.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I've come to realize that it is too early for any of our young guns to take over the fullback role however, if there is no suitable recruit available then it will have to be Ramsey.

No way should we look to Milford for any position in our squad.

How about Rava to full-back, Dufty to 5/8 and Norman to left right out?

mickeylane

Bench
Some random thoughts on this:

I have been a Dufty fan and still hold hope that he will consistently play to his potential. But...times running out.

Could do a lot worse than Milf. He was a superstar a few years ago and you don't lose talent. And, he's still only 26.

I think Ramsay would make a good fist of FB, but not sure he will be the superstar we need though. Bit hard to tell at the moment as we're just not getting the ball to him to see what he can do.

From all reports, our long term FB, if we decide to fill from within, could be the next one down the line, young Sloan. Geez he moves well on the field, a bit Peachey-like.

I still think Hook knows what he's doing, so, time will tell.
100% Hook knows, he's on a short 2-year contract he's after results he will take no prisoners and offer no favours...I do think these guys are goners this year
Dufty
Norman
Williame
Pereira
Clune

Old Timer

Coach
Dufty's lapses in concentration (like against the Warriors) do him no favours but to be fair to bloke, he'd run more than 30 metres in a 12-man attack to get sidestepped for that try yesterday.

IMO he's improved significantly this year - his positioning is improved as has his communication.

Now we can argue that at his age he should have these attributes but I feel that's a bit like blaming a kid for not reading Shakespeare when the only teacher he's ever had was a moron.
The good fullbacks can work it out themselves and that is what makes them the best.

They watch replays and analyse what happened and then set about implementing structures to minimise / eliminate their errors.

Dufty must have seen plenty of replays of games yet appears to be a slow learner as his worst mistakes keep repeating and tbh they are infuriating as it more or less undoes any of the good attacking stuff he can do.

He either has a problem with putting his body on the line or he is a dumb f**ker and can't see his deficiencies and I actually suspect he has a foot in both those camps.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
100% Hook knows, he's on a short 2-year contract he's after results he will take no prisoners and offer no favours...I do think these guys are goners this year
Dufty
Norman
Williame
Pereira
Clune

I think all but Clune will be re-signed on 1yr deals, particularly if they want to stay. Clune is already contracted for next year. Our juniors are a year away from 1st grade and no football last year has really put them back and a few have long term injuries.

Latest posts