What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chambers Watch

shadowboxer

First Grade
Watched him Saturday and whilst rusty, he was pretty solid for a first hit out. Played to his strengths - high on occasions.

Storm coach Craig Bellamy was the man who convinced Will Chambers to rekindle his NRL career at the Sharks.

Now the former Test and Queensland Origin centre is planning to repay his mentor and “father figure” in the worst possible way.

In a shock move just nine days after joining Cronulla on a $100,000 deal, Chambers is set for a storybook comeback to the NRL against former club the Melbourne Storm by making his debut for the club he once loved to hate.

Eighty-three weeks since his last NRL match, Chambers, 32, has been chosen at centre ahead of Josh Dugan by caretaker Sharks coach Josh Hannay.

A renowned straight-shooter, Hannay has pulled the trigger on Dugan just two matches into his role after the veteran centre produced two poor defensive reads which led to tries in Cronulla’s loss against the Bulldogs last weekend.

fc3be10879262d4a90a09da2df7c58c8

Cronulla centre Will Chambers (R) will replace Josh Dugan (L) against the Storm. Picture: NRL Imagery
It is uncharted territory for the off-contract Dugan, a former Test and NSW Origin representative, with Hannay’s decision the first time the centre has been overlooked due to form during his four-year tenure at Cronulla.

Without a contract for next season, the decision also leaves Dugan’s future at the club in jeopardy.

A life member of the Storm, Chambers only arrived at the Sharks nine days ago on a contract for the rest of the season. Chambers sounded out Bellamy earlier this year when he was deciding where to launch his career revival.

Bellamy — through his own negotiations with the Sharks about a coaching role — told Chambers he was aware of the direction that Cronulla were headed and that his style would be suited to the Shire outfit.

Chambers has been living in the spare bedroom of Sharks captain Wade Graham as he awaits the arrival of his family from Melbourne to Sydney.

While far from being at peak fitness, the World Cup winner has impressed Cronulla’s coaching staff and his teammates with his ruthless attitude towards training and his noted “Storm character traits” from the moment he walked through the gates at Shark Park.

a09019f83555f8a40c755f5040d7deca

Craig Bellamy told Will Chambers his playing style would suit the Sharks. Picture: Darrian Traynor/Getty Images
In a bid to shake-off any cobwebs, Chambers produced a solid performance in the NSW Cup for the Newtown Jets last weekend.

“His talk was great, he set up a try for his winger, but just his whole influence on the group, he had the boys on the edge of their seat listening to him,‘’ Jets coach Greg Matterson said.

“He commands an audience with the way he told the boys to ‘come with me’.”

Chambers was once a despised rival for many Sharks players, notably former captain Paul Gallen.

The arch rivals almost came to blows after trading explosive words prior to the 2016 grand final between Melbourne and the Sharks.

It took a phone call from Gallen to Chambers to smooth any issues between the pair before the two-time premiership winner decided to proceed with a move to the Sharks.

9ce09e0d9be4ac7f37828b821a2e7e24

Will Chambers scuffles with Paul Gallen in 2018. Picture: Grant Trouville/NRL Photos
“I want to get stuck into other sides now, I want that fierce rivalry with other teams and I’m excited about pulling on the Sharks jersey,’’ Chamber told the Sharks last week.

“I’ve been lucky enough to play in a special system at Melbourne and I’d like to bring some of that up here to Cronulla.”

Chambers scored 82 tries in 215 games for the Storm and his last NRL match was on the wing in Melbourne’s 2019 preliminary final loss to the Roosters.

He moved to Japanese rugby at the end of the 2019 NRL season.

Dugan has been included in the Sharks 21-man squad and is likely to travel to Melbourne for the Friday night clash, but it’s anticipated his only hope of being used if there is a late-injury.

Graham also makes his return against the Storm after a two-week stint on the sidelines following a head knock.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...d/news-story/b01b5032fbcfd9b20c7396c9896f5267

R-15-3

Bench
Best part iv read so far is he has been living with Wade for 2 weeks and him lay down the law in the change rooms. Let’s hope Chambers can get Wades head back into the game.

bluefox68

Staff member
Yeah, okay, so he didn’t set the world on fire for the Jets... Don’t care.

He’s a little like Ramien. Can dominate, but not every week.

The leadership will be great - no more sooks (like Duges & Moyza).

Also, don’t underestimate the indigenous connection. Will Kennedy, Ramien, Wado, Rudolf. I think BHU as well?

Ads

First Grade
What side will he play? From memory he was always a right sided player.

Quigs

Immortal
I'd rather him slap him on the back as he signed a Sharky contract.

Love Munster in the black white and blue. I know I'm only dreamin'

R-15-3

Bench
Everyone new he would miss a few tackles, make handling errors and be gassed. Has been out of the game for so long.
I won’t rule him out just yet,

Everyone new he would miss a few tackles, make handling errors and be gassed. Has been out of the game for so long.
I won’t rule him out just yet,
He looked finished by the time he left Melbourne, I'm not expecting much better than what he's dished up tonight tbh.

Ads

First Grade
Long gone as a player. A worse version of what he was when he left the storm. Leadership might help though.

chewsta

First Grade
Has a go can't fault him for that. But I am 99% sure it was Bellamy that pointed him towards the exit sign before he left for Japan.

Latest posts