What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Avenger

Immortal
Loving the love for Moses. and the fickleness of some Eels 'supporters'...He has gone from being despised to idolised...
If he signs, he signs...Let's get 2021 season finished before speculating about the future. The Club's retention committee is not sitting on their hands...Trust the process...
I’m not fickle about him. Consistency has been his biggest weakness. For someone who is on $800k a year you need him to be basically your best player every week. He isn’t. He has been notoriously inconsistent and if he didn’t have such a good long kicking game there is no way you would spend the big dollars on him. I’d have no issue if he just went around for another year and then went to a new franchise for bigger money. He really hasn’t done anything yet and has shit himself in the big games. Hasn’t even been considered for origin yet some here would be ok in paying him $1m or so. No chance I’d give him that.

A guy called Clint Gutherson is our best player and is someone who deserves close to $1m if we are thinking of keeping Moses at $800k or so. Without Gutherson we have nothing.

Avenger

Immortal
I think we all agree we want to keep Moses and he is important to our side.

but how much do we want to pay to keep ?

One report suggests Broncos are offering $1 million and are willing to go higher.

Do you think we should be offering $1 million plus to keep him?

I don’t think we should. Based on Moses history there is no guarantee he wouId consistently perform as $1 million player over the next 3 years. He may play good but $1 million is elite level which Moses is not.

It’s potentially a bigger gamble signing him for $1 million then not signing him.
If any mention of $1m was proposed by his management I’d cease negotiations. There is no way he is worth that. See my post above.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
He is on about 850 now so I would probably go close to $1 million. He has improved as a half to being one of the top in the game. Cleary, Keary and Munster are all around that $1 million plus mark and I reckon he is as good these days. They just play in a better team. I would prefer we pay slightly over for a half in Moses than pay over for a centre like Stagg. Better off gambling on someone like Penisini or the new Hayze in the centres than say Ash Taylor or Adam Clune in the halves.

The cap has decreased since his last contract...

Munster has won 2 GF / Keary has won 3. Cleary is an origin player .....is young and improving

I agree we definitely shouldn’t be signing Stagg on the amounts being mentioned

BTW if Moses left, my first option would probably be Widdop....depending on his shoulder...then Taylor.....

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
They might improve or they might not but Moses is probably top 3 or 4 in his position and they aren't going to replace his kicking game or playmaking. We already have one half that is well below average in those areas of the game. We don't want to gamble on having 2 that can't consistently kick well or pass.
Dylan Brown is 21 this year. He has plenty of improvement left in him. As for Moses, he doesn't engage defenders enough. Catch-passing before the line isn't playmaking.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The cap has decreased since his last contract...

Munster has won 2 GF / Keary has won 3. Cleary is an origin player .....is young and improving

I agree we definitely shouldn’t be signing Stagg on the amounts being mentioned

BTW if Moses left, my first option would probably be Widdop....depending on his shoulder...then Taylor.....
If we lost Moses we would need a decent kicker. Reynolds or Johnson for a year or two. Paying overs for that duration is a lot better than paying overs for four years.

Taylor would be an option with high upside, as long as you got him cheap enough. What will be the demand for him? That's what we're competing with.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
If we lost Moses we would need a decent kicker. Reynolds or Johnson for a year or two. Paying overs for that duration is a lot better than paying overs for four years.

Taylor would be an option with high upside, as long as you got him cheap enough. What will be the demand for him? That's what we're competing with.

as @Gazzamatta suggests Drown kicking game has plenty of improvement in it.

So don’t think we need someone with similar kicking game to Moses.

lingard

Coach
He is on about 850 now so I would probably go close to $1 million. He has improved as a half to being one of the top in the game. Cleary, Keary and Munster are all around that $1 million plus mark and I reckon he is as good these days. They just play in a better team. I would prefer we pay slightly over for a half in Moses than pay over for a centre like Stagg. Better off gambling on someone like Penisini or the new Hayze in the centres than say Ash Taylor or Adam Clune in the halves.

I agree. I think 1million is overs for Moses. But, he has improved. He could keep improving (or even just continue to play consistently at this level). I would consider paying a million a year for him. Cleary and Keary are definitely better than him (particularly Cleary) but that's irrelevant. My main concern is if Moses gets injured for any length of time, Dylan Brown is not the man to control this side. I would be looking to replace him rather than Moses at this stage. Brown might improve, but he hasn't shown me anything to suggest that he'll be anything other than a slightly above average first grade five-eight.

Gazzamatta

Coach
If I were Walters I would chase Drinkwater as my half. Him with Staggs could be great and save a fortune. Again the kicking game is an issue and probably a big one for them. We can see what Wightons gash kicking game is doing to Prickys Faders.

TheRam

Coach
Loving the love for Moses. and the fickleness of some Eels 'supporters'...He has gone from being despised to idolised...
If he signs, he signs...Let's get 2021 season finished before speculating about the future. The Club's retention committee is not sitting on their hands...Trust the process...

Pete, you do realise that this is what is called "football discussions?" Fans of football codes will discuss and debate all matters pertaining to and or affecting their Club or code. We know the Retention committee is on it, but we like to talk, debate and speculate. Otherwise what sort of fans are we if we didn't and showed know interest? The club would eventually die and so would the sport. Sports beating heart is built on this/

You get that right?

TheRam

Coach

This.

TheRam

Coach
If any mention of $1m was proposed by his management I’d cease negotiations. There is no way he is worth that. See my post above.

So if the rumours are right and we have offered Staggs $800K, do you think that he is worth anywhere need that?

I wouldn't pay Stags a cent over $500K. He is a centre who would touch the ball f**k all next to someone like Moses or any spine player. Sure he can break a game open here and there, but he is a centre. This position has changed over the last few years and defence is probably the number one trait that we should be seeking in centres now. He isn't to crash hot on this side of the game. The Hammer from the Cowboys would be cheaper and be almost as good in attack, with a huge upside maybe still to come as he develops further.

I would be looking to err on slightly over paying a half like Moses then substantially over spending on a centre like Staggs.

Centres are not as important to a teams success as a quality and experienced half. Anything around $800-$1m, is ok for a player like Moses that is coming into his best years.

Your dislike of him and his previous petulant behaviour is clouding your judgement and what is best for our team. Moses for the next 2-3 years should be our priority in this round of player re-signings. We will win nothing without him over this period and our Premiership window is now open.

Does anyone think that Souths have a realistic chance of winning a Premiership without Reynolds? Moses is our Reynolds. Sure they both aren't perfect, but they are both 2 of the best halves in the game and unless these clubs can replace them with someone close to equal quality and don't forget the all important experience factor, then that Premiership window disappears until those 2 requirements reappear.

No we need Moses for the short to medium term if we want a chance to win a Premiership within our current window over the next 3 years. Now is not the time to quibble over a couple of hundred grand.

Latest posts