What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 v Tigers

getsmarty

Immortal
remote.axd

Senior players talk shop on Anzac Day defeat

GAME DAY

Game day guide: Round 8 v Wests Tigers
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Wed 28 Apr 2021, 05:00 PM
Share on social media
The St George Illawarra Dragons will face the Wests Tigers at WIN Stadium, Wollongong on Sunday, May 2. This is your Round 8 game guide.

#ThanksMez
The Trent Merrin farewell tour concludes this Sunday afternoon at the very same ground he made his NRL debut at 12 years ago.

Help us farewell Trent, who selflessly announced his retirement last week. The Dragons will honour his career from 3:45pm with a much-deserved tribute segment and lap of honour.

The first 2000 fans through the gates will also receive a face mask of the 2010 premiership-winning forward.

Use the hashtag #ThanksMez on social media and let the 151-game Dragon know how much you'll miss him in the Red V.

In times of adversity…
The Wests Tigers have been a team under siege this week, which almost certainly makes them a dangerous prospect come Sunday afternoon.

A galvanised Michael Maguire-led outfit is expected to roll into Wollongong in hope of arresting a four-game losing run.

The Tigers welcome back Joey Leilua (thumb) and have reshuffled their entire forward pack in anticipation of a Dragons barrage.

The Tigers have form on their side against the Red V if the previous three seasons are anything to go by. The NRL's other joint-venture club have won three of their last four meetings against the Dragons.

Stats that matter
Josh McGuire may have become an unfortunate social media meme in recent weeks due to his winless run so far in 2021 but it certainly isn't through lack of trying.

In a whopping 59-minute effort from the interchange against the Sydney Roosters, McGuire produced an outstanding 136 metres and 38 tackles.

The old mantra that an old dog can learn new tricks applies to McGuire's teammate and former Dragons Medallist, Tariq Sims.

Sims was a hard man to stop on Anzac Day; his barnstorming try, three tackle breaks and 51 post contact metres a testament to this.

No shortage of footy
There's more St George Illawarra affiliated footy than you poke a stick at this weekend.

It all begins on Saturday morning (11am) at Leichhardt Oval when the St George Dragons tackle the Sydney Roosters Indigenous Academy in the Tarsha Gale Cup grand final.

Not to be outdone, the SG Ball Illawarra Steelers will soon following the ladies at 3pm, when they take on the Canberra Raiders in search of their second consecutive Under-19s (formerly -18s) premiership.

For the diehard locals or perhaps those Illawarra-bound, the Sunday footy starts early at Corrimal's Ziems Park (11am) when the Jersey Flegg Dragons play the Wests Tigers.

Not to be outdone, the Knock Out Effect Cup Dragons will act as a curtain-raiser to their NRL counterparts come 1:40pm on Sunday at WIN Stadium. Starring down the barrel of five-straight losses, Russell Aitken's men will be boosted by the return of Billy Brittain.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/04/28/game-day-guide-round-8-v-wests-tigers/

Old Timer

Coach
What we need IMO is to score a try first and then be the next to score a try and break their spirit.

We have had a bad habit of scoring and then having a bad set shortly after and / or concede a penalty and then a try in the subsequent play.

Our concentration needs to be at its highest after we have scored to ensure we put them straight back under pressure.

Doing that is not one of our strongest attributes but improvement in that area alone would go a long way to securing some victories.

Kick to the corners, turn them around and pin them in and don't give their back 3 any chance to charge onto our kicks.

Absolutely imperative we don't give any easy 6 agains as Nofa will crucify us.

blacksafake

First Grade
Dominating their forwards is a must so Brooks has to play on the back foot in his current ordinary form. Laurie is a talented young player who needs to be watched. Can’t stand that Nofa & it would pi55 me off seeing him scoring.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Dominating their forwards is a must so Brooks has to play on the back foot in his current ordinary form. Laurie is a talented young player who needs to be watched. Can’t stand that Nofa & it would pi55 me off seeing him scoring.
Brooks is the most overrated halve in the NRL even Norman plays more consistently. This is a game we simply have to win. Looking forward to seeing Mat Feagai get run I hope he plays well.

SAP58

Juniors
Will be interesting to see how we look after 15 to 20 mins....unfortunately on our last two encounters we have looked buggered imo
I agree but a number of vital errors early really put us on the back foot not the same intensity even after we scored the first try. The Rooters like the other top sides dont need to many invitations to capitalise, a big couple of weeks ahead, we should win both games if Hook can get us backto the eels game form.

SBD82

Coach
Hope so , sorry mate don't like this Joey and the Jet in the centres looming as a problem for me they are both due for big games ....
Joey is just as due for a complete brain explosion as he is for a big game. He brings both with similar frequency.

blacksafake

First Grade
Brooks is the most overrated halve in the NRL even Norman plays more consistently. This is a game we simply have to win. Looking forward to seeing Mat Feagai get run I hope he plays well.
You’re probably right but these type of players seem to play well against us.
I’m concerned about this game

kit66

Bench
When do you get the plaster off?

I survived. Can you believe I went to the dentist to have a tooth out - which technically would be a broken bone - but they sent me home without pulling the tooth when they found out I was on Blood Thinning medication. That was close.

Crush

Coach
I survived. Can you believe I went to the dentist to have a tooth out - which technically would be a broken bone - but they sent me home without pulling the tooth when they found out I was on Blood Thinning medication. That was close.
Haha, I’ll take that as a win.
Let this be a lesson to you Kit!
Jinxes are real man!

Latest posts