What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gareth Widdop review

Was Gareth Widdop overrated
He won a premiership at Melbourne but that was when they were rotting the salary cap
What did he actually do for the dragons he didn't win a premiership he was a poor attacking option
When he had benji Marshall in the halves the dragons played better
Because widdop can't attack but he can defend

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Not sure i’d share that assessment regarding his defence. Sound at best! Thought he was a ‘tidy’ five-eighth and his short kicking game was pretty good. His attack was obvious at times and didn’t feel he did those little things to change the course of a game like the top liners do when our ‘power game wasn’t working’.

Last edited:

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I have mixed feelings about Widdop. To me he was never consistent. He'd kick an impossible goal from the sideline then miss something simple. He would do a scything run up the field then spend the rest of the game running sideways. He'd do a try saving tackle, and then get bumped off with an ineffective clutch and grab. A pin-point bomb would be followed by a grubber into the legs of the opposition. I wouldn't have him back.

God-King Dean

Immortal
He was shit
It's mind boggling to me why he's looked at with fondness by Dragons fans
Classic flat track bully
Looked amazing against the Titans, but never performed when it mattered
And his obsession with kicking on the 3rd tackle was bizarre

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I’ll always remember him as our Captain that chose to walk out on the Club, then decided he wanted to return once things turned to shit.

He was a good player, with a strong kicking game burdened by a shit coach.....
I still prefer Jamie Soward option under Bennett.
One of the great Dragons tragedies imo is that we never got to see a Soward/Widdop combo. I don’t blame Widdop as much as others for walking out, Mary would do that.

BLM01

First Grade
Why are having a Widdop review now?..especially from a Bunnies supporter?
Is he going to Souths to replace Reynolds?

FTR..Widdop was not over-rated and a good 5/8th in defence and attack for us and would not let you down...the negative..a bit kick happy at the wrong time when a pass or sustained attack needed to be had.
Defences knew this and he had plenty a short kick straight into opposition legs.
He invariably was the last man chasing or covered our defensive deficiencies on the edges
We certainly lost something when he left and a him / Hunt combo would of been good for us but I am glad he left cause that saw the end of Mary

Gareth67

First Grade
Why are having a Widdop review now?..especially from a Bunnies supporter?

Could this possibly be the return - in stealth mode - of the great Valiesky , other known alias’s being Ruby and of course the most knowledgeable Sigurd ! :thinking:

Character assassination of a player who always gave a tradesman like performance in his time at the Dragons - all of this criticism taking place more than a year after he left the club !

Good Lawd man , what did Widdop do to you , run over your damn rabies infested cat ? ? ?

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
He won a premiership at Melbourne but that was when they were rotting the salary cap
What did he actually do for the dragons he didn't win a premiership he was a poor attacking option
Of all the thoughts I’ve had at 4.43am on a Saturday.....

.....I can honestly say not one was ever about Gareth Widdop.

Old Timer

Coach
In your time away you have learnt nothing other than how to beat the system to get back in here.

Your post is as stupid now as all those that you have made under a raft of alias's.

Get it through your head Benji was shit and Widdop more than useful but tragically let down by poor coaching, poor rosters, poor game plans and poor selections as to his halves partner.

BLM01

First Grade
Could this possibly be the return - in stealth mode - of the great Valiesky , other known alias’s being Ruby and of course the most knowledgeable Sigurd ! :thinking:

Character assassination of a player who always gave a tradesman like performance in his time at the Dragons - all of this criticism taking place more than a year after he left the club !

Good Lawd man , what did Widdop do to you , run over your damn rabies infested cat ? ? ?
Sorry Gazza. How dare they talk about you like that. Overrated. I thought you were one of our best each and every week.

Gareth67

First Grade
Sorry Gazza. How dare they talk about you like that. Overrated. I thought you were one of our best each and every week.

Gesus H Chrust ! Surely the bloke must had realize that I would defend myself , even although I am still stuck in the mother country ? :thinking:

since77

Juniors
He had a great short kicking game and could build pressure thru repeat sets. He was a wonderful tackler and also knew how to close out a game. Norman in comparison isn’t good enough to tie up Widdops boot laces.
My memory of his short kicking game is the opposite. I seem to only remember him constantly kicking the ball into opponents legs 5 metres out from the line.
Having said that it was an enormous waste of his talent playing under McGregor. He’d have a few more premiership rings if he stayed under Bellamy.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Gareth Widdop review:

Currently playing for Warrington in the ESL.
2021 season :
Played 3 games
2 trys
1 goal
1 win 1 loss 1 draw

2020 season: (Warrington)
Played 13 games
4 trys
10 goals
8 wins 5 losses

I dont think we need to go into any more 'review'.

redv13

Bench
Widdop was great in 2018 then he was struck down with 2 bad shoulder injuries and McGregor f**ked him in 2019 so he left. Widdop under Hook would have been fantastic say 3 years ago