What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd8: Eels v Dogs GAME DAY THREAD @ Stadium Australia 1/5/21

Gazzamatta

Coach
Don't worry about Drown. Saw him at the 2s today and he was very up tempo. Typical youngun on $650k without a care in the world. Oh to be young and dumb and full of c*m again. He will bounce back. He's too damn good not too.
I noticed in the replay it was his quick pass out of D/H on the short side to "Cartwright 4" that led to Maratas try. Fire up Dylbags.

Glenneel

Bench
So you want high intensity every week for 24 weeks? Is this so you can complain come finals time for dropping out early after playing high intensity for 24 weeks?

We played at a low intensity for 60 minutes and won by 22. You should be stoked we can not even try and win by that margin. Last year when we didn't try we beat the dogs by 2
Yes I want up tempo like the Panthers, Storm and Roosters play each week. Gee did I just mention 3 very good teams that'll be there at year's end?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Yes I want up tempo like the Panthers, Storm and Roosters play each week. Gee did I just mention 3 very good teams that'll be there at year's end?

panthers defeated Canberra 30 to 10 and Broncos 20 to 12.....

we defeated Canberra 35 to 10 and Broncos 46 to 6.....

some weeks sides just do enough to win...

And yes this week is a big challenge against the Roosters...

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
People been hating on him for a while. Average half thus far, don’t you think?

I reckon most agree that Drown is just an average half at this stage of his career (I do), but at his age/experience he has the potential for huge improvements over the next few years.

He is already an above average defender for a half, he has switched sides and suddenly our defence on the right is a lot better then last year.

And he can run the ball, and he runs it straight and willing to take a “hit”. Pretty important attitude for a half, as it creates space for his outside players. He has no issue with “digging” into the line. Many halves fail in this area.

He can kick but definitely needs to improve there, but Moses is our main kicker. Additionally it appears BA is slowly easing him into taking more kicks.

And as has been mentioned he doesn’t really pass much, he is more willing to take the tackle. Definitely an area he needs improvement it. But will come with experience (just like Mahoney’s running game).

Also there is little things in his game you don’t really notice, like the Marata try, he had a fair role in it. He got to dummy half and pushed the ball to right / got Cartwright to wrap to the right. He could have made to wrong decision like run, but didn’t.

Also we never say after a game, Drown lost that for us. He does the little things right.

As Matty Johns says halves are just trying to survive in their first 100 nrl games. Drown has had 40 games and 2 seasons has had bad injuries.

Last edited:

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Also there is little things in his game you don’t really notice, like the Marata try, he had a fair role in it. He got to dummy half and pushed the ball to right / got Cartwright to wrap to the right. He could have made to wrong decision like run, but didn’t.
He was pushing up on the inside pretty quick for the first try too, before the King cut his grass.

T.S Quint

Coach
I don’t think pointing out that a player is down on form and not playing up to the standard he has already shown previously is “hating on him” or making him a scapegoat.
We all k is he can play better than he is right now. He has had lapses of concentration resulting in some really poor unforced errors, and he isn’t creating much in terms of attack either. When he first came into first grade he showed a beautiful short kicking game which resulted in many line dropouts which apart from one on Saturday night has disappeared.

Im not hating on him. I don’t want the club to get rid of him. I want us to persist with him and help him get better. I mentioned that it might be an idea to give him some time in reserves to get his confidence back up, but don’t know him or how he reacts to things so not sure if it’s the right idea. I leave that to the coaching staff.

I really don’t think it’s so wrong to point out that someone is down on form simply because we are winning. There may come a time where his form may cost us a game or two and I’d prefer we rectify it as soon as we can so that doesn’t happen.

Gronk

Staff member
I don’t think pointing out that a player is down on form and not playing up to the standard he has already shown previously is “hating on him” or making him a scapegoat.
We all k is he can play better than he is right now. He has had lapses of concentration resulting in some really poor unforced errors, and he isn’t creating much in terms of attack either. When he first came into first grade he showed a beautiful short kicking game which resulted in many line dropouts which apart from one on Saturday night has disappeared.

Im not hating on him. I don’t want the club to get rid of him. I want us to persist with him and help him get better. I mentioned that it might be an idea to give him some time in reserves to get his confidence back up, but don’t know him or how he reacts to things so not sure if it’s the right idea. I leave that to the coaching staff.

I really don’t think it’s so wrong to point out that someone is down on form simply because we are winning. There may come a time where his form may cost us a game or two and I’d prefer we rectify it as soon as we can so that doesn’t happen.

I think we are being a bit nit picky with him. He does have an error in his game, especially against a team with good line speed. However he does not have "hands like feet" or anything as bad as that. Are we paying for potential ? Probably, but he is only 40 games young and he makes up for shutting down numerous half breaks every game.

As for one merkin who I think was drunk when posting here late Saturday night, no we should not drop Dylan for Jordan Rankin. :)

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

well you mustn't have read all the comments

Tooooks

Bench
I reckon Brown's running game is overated. He runs a lot (averages 106m a game) but rarely breaks the line. He just takes hitups.

Nathan Cleary actually averages 111m a game. Has twice as many line breaks as Brown too. His running game is better.

Actually, Cleary has three times the line breaks Brown has (source: NRL stats). But halves, generally speaking, don’t get a heap of line breaks.

Cleary: 3
Luai: 2
Brown: 1
Moses: 1

I think Brown might be a little down on confidence.

Latest posts