What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The IPL thread

TheParraboy

Staff member
Davey dumped as Sunrises captain, and from the side. How the mighty have fallen

Sunrisers are coming dead last with one win only from 7 matches

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...spells-and-glenn-maxwell-left-stunned-1262187

There's only one place to start. All is not well at the Sunrisers Hyderabad, especially for David Warner. Last week he questioned team selection, then he produced his slowest T20 half-century (which he held his hand up about), and now, in a dramatic twist, he has lost the captaincy and been left out of the side. His overall IPL record reads: 5447 runs at 42.22 and a strike rate of 140.13.

For the Sunrisers, those numbers are: 4012 runs at 50.78 and a strike rate 142.82. Both the average and strike rate are significantly down this season, but it's a rapid fall from grace. The decision has been explained around the Sunrisers' poor start to the season and the need to rejig the balance of overseas players (perhaps highlighting the challenge when there is an overseas captain). The hints were that there may not be a quick return for Warner, either, although the Sunrisers were on the end of a Jos Buttler special and went down by 55 runs. Interesting times.

TheParraboy

Staff member
ScoMo's reply to Slats

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...n/news-story/a2c3e8e631cba3d054d545fb8fec46f0

Scott Morrison hits back at Michael Slater for saying he has ‘blood on his hands’
Scott Morrison has returned serve at Michael Slater after the Australian cricket great accused him of having “blood on your hands”.

Scott Morrison has hit back at Michael Slater after the Australian cricket great unloaded on the Prime Minister following the Australian government’s decision to block citizens from returning home from India.

Having served as a commentator for the Indian Premier League, Slater escaped from India earlier this week as the country’s coronavirus situation worsened.

Slater tweeted on Monday evening: “If our Government cared for the safety of Aussies they would allow us to get home. It’s a disgrace!

“Blood on your hands PM. How dare you treat us like this. How about you sort out quarantine system.

“I had government permission to work on the IPL but I now have government neglect.”

Two hours later, the 51-year-old posted: “And for those who think this is a money exercise. Well forget it. This is what I do for a living and I have not made a penny having left early. So please stop the abuse and think of the thousands dying in India each day. It’s called empathy. If only our government had some!”

Morrison responded on Tuesday, saying it was “absurd” for Slater to accuse him of having “blood on your hands”.

“I’m not going to fail Australia,” Morrison added.

Sky News host Andrew Bolt declared he is “ashamed of Australia” over the threat of jail terms for Indian-Australians trying to return home.

“I hate people playing the race card. But even I must now say I am ashamed of Australia, which is making it a crime for Indian Australians to come back home,’’ Bolt said.

“To me, it stinks of racism to tell the 8000 Indian Australians trying to come home that they must stay in India, in what Western Australia’s Premier admitted was the ‘epicentre of death and destruction’.”

On Monday, Mr Morrison slammed claims that the ban is racist, warning he’s making the “hard calls” that have helped save 30,000 Australian lives.

“We are deeply, deeply concerned about the humanitarian crisis in India. But the best way I can get them safely home is by doing what I am doing right now,’’ the Prime Minister told 2GB radio.

Australian cricketers Andrew Tye, Adam Zampa and Kane Richardson returned home last week before the travel restrictions were introduced.

There are currently more than 30 Australian players, commentators, umpires and coaching staff participating in the glamorous T20 tournament — including Steve Smith, Pat Cummins, David Warner and Ricky Ponting.

Last week, Morrison said Australian cricket talent in India would not be given any preferential treatment.

“They’ve travelled there privately under their own arrangements. This wasn’t part of an Australian tour,” Morrison said.

“And they’re under their own resources and they’ll be using those resources, I’m sure, to see them return to Australia in accordance with our own arrangements.”

Latest posts