What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL two conferences

blaza88z

Coach
He is right about Brisbane copping floggings and thus being a draw, if we were topping the table we'd barely get a view from anyone who doesn't support Brisbane or the team they play

Some people follow Brisbane so much they may as well buy a membership and get it over and done with

siv

First Grade
So a third a way through the season the 2 conference model looks like this

Sydney Conference

PENRITH 16
PARRAMATTA 14
SOUTHS 14
EASTS 12
St Merge 8
Manly 6
Cronulla 4
Wests 4
Canterbury 2

MELBOURNE 12
WARRIORS 8
GOLD COAST 6
CANBERRA 6
Newcastle 6
Nth Qld 6
Brisbane 4

Zoe Palmer

Juniors
Tigers have the potential to be a big brand, but as long as Canterbury are there they will be competing with one another for fans. I'd send Bulldogs to Christchurch, that way the Canterbury Bulldogs brand survives and Tigers get to market themselves to kids from Canterbury's district over the next 20 years. Western Sydney Tigers is a good name and would appeal to advertisers.
]

Totally obliterating the Magpies by the sounds of it. The current 90% owners:scream:

You're kidding right.

Cowboys would be the most popular team in rural qld. Their reach goes way out to mount isa.
Cowboys are very popular in Brisbane as well. Ratings on Ch9 show the most watches teams in Brisbane are Broncos, followed by Cowboys, Titans and Storm. Sydney teams don't rate very well in Brisbane.

"In Brisbane, the highest rating game was Round 2s Brisbane v North Queensland fixture which rated 240,000. 8.743 million people watched on Nine during the season at an average audience of 123,000 per game. Matches involving the Broncos average 173,000 for the season, while Queensland sides averaged 157,000. Matches involving two out of state teams rated an average of 107,000."

https://tvblackbox.com.au/page/2019/10/08/2019-10-8-2019-nrl-season-by-the-numbers/?amp=1

That graphs as misleading as f**k.

We watched the broncos because we wanted to see them get slaughtered. They still are the channel 9 darlings. They also had a policy of at least 1 qld game being fta.

Look where the warriors, raiders and poor dogs who aren't channel 9 darlings are.

I watch all games. No matter who's playing. I think most true fans do.

I don't even get how ratings are worked out.

Seems as dodgy as radios top 50 or mkr.
Ch9 aren't a charity. They broadcast the games that rate. It just so happens that Warriors and Raiders aren't heavy ratings pullers. Foxtel knows exactly who is watching. The Raiders vs Roosters GF drew a lousy rating, didn't it?

Last edited:
He is right about Brisbane copping floggings and thus being a draw, if we were topping the table we'd barely get a view from anyone who doesn't support Brisbane or the team they play

Some people follow Brisbane so much they may as well buy a membership and get it over and done with
If Brisbane were winning they would be even further out in front, as ratings from 2017-2019 prove.

average-ratings-by-club-1.png market-size.png

https://pythagonrl.com/2020/04/06/e...-about-nrl-tv-ratings-but-were-afraid-to-ask/

David Gyngel said years ago that Broncos are the only team that rates so well that Ch9 make 100 cents return on advertising revenue per dollar, whereas for the rest of the teams it is 40 cents. Broncos are the most important club by a country mile.

"I am 100 per cent in favour of a second team in Brisbane," Gyngell said.

"I support any moves the NRL makes on this because we have been pushing for it now for several years. It does nobody any favours only having the Broncos in Brisbane.

"Our return is 100 cents in the dollar with the Broncos and only 40 cents elsewhere. The Broncos would not have missed the eight this season if they’d had another team there.

"They need to compete and not be so complacent. We believe the market in Brisbane is more than ready for another team. My belief it that this is inevitable in the next few years."

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...626d772cf?sv=4c6d97a4c61a3b0591e0a96047fb69c0

Last edited:
]

Totally obliterating the Magpies by the sounds of it. The current 90% owners:scream:
A whole generation has grown up never seeing the Western Suburbs Magpies play. Renaming the club the Magpies, which is what the Western Suburbs side of the faction would love but the NRL won't allow, would hurt the club.

Ownership structure Edit
As at 08 Oct 2020:

Wests Magpies Pty Ltd (ACN:089 921 166) own 4,000,080 (40%) of the Class A shares and 5,000,100 (50%) of the class B shares
Balmain Tigers Rugby League Football Club Ltd (ACN 002 592 949) own 1,000,020 (10%) of the Class A shares
Wests Magpies Pty Ltd is a jointly owned legal entity:

2 shares are held by Western Suburbs Leagues Club Limited (aka Wests Ashfield Leagues Club)
1 share is held by Western Suburbs District Rugby League Football Club Ltd (aka the Wests Magpies)
Note 1: WSDRLFC is a controlled entity of Wests Ashfield Leagues Club

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wests_Tigers

Dogs Of War

Coach
So a third a way through the season the 2 conference model looks like this

Which is why I think 4 conferences would work better.

Western Conference
PENRITH 16
PARRAMATTA 14
Wests 4
Canterbury 2

Eastern Conference
SOUTHS 14
EASTS 12
WARRIORS 8
Manly 6

Southern Conference.
MELBOURNE 12
St Merge 8
CANBERRA 6
Cronulla 4

Northern Conference
GOLD COAST 6
Newcastle 6
Nth Qld 6
Brisbane 4

Perth Red

Post Whore
Cowboys are very popular in Brisbane as well. Ratings on Ch9 show the most watches teams in Brisbane are Broncos, followed by Cowboys, Titans and Storm. Sydney teams don't rate very well in Brisbane.

"In Brisbane, the highest rating game was Round 2s Brisbane v North Queensland fixture which rated 240,000. 8.743 million people watched on Nine during the season at an average audience of 123,000 per game. Matches involving the Broncos average 173,000 for the season, while Queensland sides averaged 157,000. Matches involving two out of state teams rated an average of 107,000."

https://tvblackbox.com.au/page/2019/10/08/2019-10-8-2019-nrl-season-by-the-numbers/?amp=1

Ch9 aren't a charity. They broadcast the games that rate. It just so happens that Warriors and Raiders aren't heavy ratings pullers. Foxtel knows exactly who is watching. The Raiders vs Roosters GF drew a lousy rating, didn't it?

the problem with tv stats are they are not like for like due to the bias of allocated time slots and fta tv coverage some get. If you are always shown in a high audience slot then of course you will have a bigger overall audience. To get a real like for like comparison you would need to look at audience by club by time slot.

nick87

Coach
Which is why I think 4 conferences would work better.

Western Conference
PENRITH 16
PARRAMATTA 14
Wests 4
Canterbury 2

Eastern Conference
SOUTHS 14
EASTS 12
WARRIORS 8
Manly 6

Southern Conference.
MELBOURNE 12
St Merge 8
CANBERRA 6
Cronulla 4

Northern Conference
GOLD COAST 6
Newcastle 6
Nth Qld 6
Brisbane 4

Not to pick nits, but if that is the set up, it makes way more sense to have Newcastle in with the Eastern Conference, and the Warriors in the Northern.

Mr Spock!

Referee

No kidding that the most watched teams in Brisbane are qld teams sherlock.

Heck I watch broncos, cowboys and titans games and I'm not even a fan.

When did they ever play a 6:00 Friday game? Or a Sunday 2:00 game?

Once in a blue moon.

The broncos - never.

Also channel 9 must show one qld game on fta every week.

The dice is loaded in favour of qld clubs.

Oh and the rabbitohs - dogs gf in 2014 was the most watched game in history dwarfing the afl gf.

Clubs which you want to disappear because of ratings.

Mr Spock!

Referee
A whole generation has grown up never seeing the Western Suburbs Magpies play. Renaming the club the Magpies, which is what the Western Suburbs side of the faction would love but the NRL won't allow, would hurt the club.

Ownership structure Edit
As at 08 Oct 2020:

Wests Magpies Pty Ltd (ACN:089 921 166) own 4,000,080 (40%) of the Class A shares and 5,000,100 (50%) of the class B shares
Balmain Tigers Rugby League Football Club Ltd (ACN 002 592 949) own 1,000,020 (10%) of the Class A shares
Wests Magpies Pty Ltd is a jointly owned legal entity:

2 shares are held by Western Suburbs Leagues Club Limited (aka Wests Ashfield Leagues Club)
1 share is held by Western Suburbs District Rugby League Football Club Ltd (aka the Wests Magpies)
Note 1: WSDRLFC is a controlled entity of Wests Ashfield Leagues Club

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wests_Tigers
Well we quickly got rid of 4 generations overnight to bring in a club no-one heard of.

Would work the same with the magpies.

I mean which town doesn't have a magpies team?

Mr Spock!

Referee
If Brisbane were winning they would be even further out in front, as ratings from 2017-2019 prove.

View attachment 48132 View attachment 48133

https://pythagonrl.com/2020/04/06/e...-about-nrl-tv-ratings-but-were-afraid-to-ask/

David Gyngel said years ago that Broncos are the only team that rates so well that Ch9 make 100 cents return on advertising revenue per dollar, whereas for the rest of the teams it is 40 cents. Broncos are the most important club by a country mile.

"I am 100 per cent in favour of a second team in Brisbane," Gyngell said.

"I support any moves the NRL makes on this because we have been pushing for it now for several years. It does nobody any favours only having the Broncos in Brisbane.

"Our return is 100 cents in the dollar with the Broncos and only 40 cents elsewhere. The Broncos would not have missed the eight this season if they’d had another team there.

"They need to compete and not be so complacent. We believe the market in Brisbane is more than ready for another team. My belief it that this is inevitable in the next few years."

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...626d772cf?sv=4c6d97a4c61a3b0591e0a96047fb69c0
Well I suppose if every game you played was on prime time fta, you would rate well.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You also have to factor in when brisbane are on fta Sydney tv audiences are lower, the net gain isnt that great.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Not to pick nits, but if that is the set up, it makes way more sense to have Newcastle in with the Eastern Conference, and the Warriors in the Northern.

I'm sure any conference make up would be debated. I wasn't outlining exactly how I would put it together. Just wanted to give a starting point. I hate the size of the conference's suggested.

And if anything, I'd have the Warriors in the Southern Conference. I think that's better rivalries as far as their history is concerned. But I initially placed them in that conference due to the ex-pat factor that would attend games.

If you really wanted to debate the setups, you would put Warriors south, Newcastle and Sharks in the Eastern, and Manly in the Northern conference. Giving some Sydney teams a spread in one town team conferences, especially ones with fans who don't really travel. So those one off games against other Sydney teams won't be as impacted.

Really the hardest two teams are Dragons and Sharks conference wise. Ideally, you want them in the same conference, but it makes more sense for them to be apart. And really you could swap them interchangeably and be just as happy.

Something like this. With Dragons/Cronulla interchangeable. Though once you add a second Brisbane team and a second NZ or Perth team things change a bit.

Western Conference
PENRITH 16
PARRAMATTA 14
Wests 4
Canterbury 2

Eastern Conference
SOUTHS 14
EASTS 12
Newcastle 6
Cronulla 4

Southern Conference.
MELBOURNE 12
WARRIORS 8
St Merge 8
CANBERRA 6

Northern Conference
GOLD COAST 6
Manly 6
Nth Qld 6
Brisbane 4

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm sure any conference make up would be debated. I wasn't outlining exactly how I would put it together. Just wanted to give a starting point. I hate the size of the conference's suggested.

And if anything, I'd have the Warriors in the Southern Conference. I think that's better rivalries as far as their history is concerned. But I initially placed them in that conference due to the ex-pat factor that would attend games.

If you really wanted to debate the setups, you would put Warriors south, Newcastle and Sharks in the Eastern, and Manly in the Northern conference. Giving some Sydney teams a spread in one town team conferences, especially ones with fans who don't really travel. So those one off games against other Sydney teams won't be as impacted.

Really the hardest two teams are Dragons and Sharks conference wise. Ideally, you want them in the same conference, but it makes more sense for them to be apart. And really you could swap them interchangeably and be just as happy.

Something like this. With Dragons/Cronulla interchangeable. Though once you add a second Brisbane team and a second NZ or Perth team things change a bit.

Western Conference
PENRITH 16
PARRAMATTA 14
Wests 4
Canterbury 2

Eastern Conference
SOUTHS 14
EASTS 12
Newcastle 6
Cronulla 4

Southern Conference.
MELBOURNE 12
WARRIORS 8
St Merge 8
CANBERRA 6

Northern Conference
GOLD COAST 6
Manly 6
Nth Qld 6
Brisbane 4

Problem with 4 of 4 is that extra teams in NRL over the comng years dont fit. So some would end up 5 clubs but that would be problematic potentially from a qualifying for finals point of view. Unless you had top 2 each conference and 2 wild cards for a ten club finals in an 18 club comp?

MugaB

Coach
Not really as its more southern or eastern, not really northern on a map in comparison to the rest of the leagues clubs, and if 4 conferences did happen... you'd have to expand to 20 teams if any expansion happened...
The upside of this format would be adding a team from afar into each conference.
Perth into western conference means they mainly travel to sydney more often to verse their rivals in the west.
New Zealand 2 added to the eastern conference,
Adelaide in the Southern Conference
And Brisbane 2 into Northern conference.
Plus having 4 conferences can mean a mini GF of each conference that forms a winner pooling into THE final 4 who play off into the Superbowl

MugaB

Coach
This is parody, yeah?
This is Fückwít at his best, lets make asians a target by putting dragons on everything and base them in chinatown, and getting Tigers HQ moved to Harris park, you know coz its a hotspot for the indian population, FML

Dogs Of War

Coach
Problem with 4 of 4 is that extra teams in NRL over the comng years dont fit. So some would end up 5 clubs but that would be problematic potentially from a qualifying for finals point of view. Unless you had top 2 each conference and 2 wild cards for a ten club finals in an 18 club comp?

2 x conferences of 4 and 2x conferences of 5 isn't a problem. Just means that the two 4 team conferences play 2 games against the other 4 team conference. From the last years finishing position, say one set is 1v4, 4v4, 4v1, 1v1 in the opposite conferences, and 2v3, 3vs2, 2v2, 3v3. To make up the missing games. Just means you want to ensure those 4 team conferences are complimentary to ensure maximum value.

As for the wild cards. I'd probably just go with the 8 team finals. You really want the best teams. 4 conference winners, 4 wild cards.

Latest posts