What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reminders of your childhood

Yorrick Hunt

Juniors
View attachment 48102
Hi Folks.

Seeking help with a memory of a show that used be on in the 80’s which had an intro that’d spook the absolute crap out of me as a kid...

I’ll describe as best I can, hoping someone can tell me the show.... been bugging me for a few days now..

So - it was a “mysteries show” which was a docuseries on things like supernatural stuff, crimes/lost people, civilisations etc. From memory it was one of those shows that would be shown on a Saturday / Sunday arvo.,.

The intro music was a proper “horror-show-type” of instrumental... and part of the sequence of scenes was an old black n white horror movie with a “demon figure” turning to face the camera, over a body lying motionless in bed... presumably dead... something like out of a Lon Chaney / Boris Karloff movie...

Now thought it show was “Great mysteries of the world”... narrated by Leonard Nimoy but when I looked it up, the intro was completely different... in the USA that show was called “In Search of”.... the premise of this show n the one I’m trying to remember was pretty much the same...

Can anyone help???

Is it possible that the show I’m trying to find is indeed Great mysteries of the world but could have had a different intro...

This is the intro I keep finding.... the “horror one” I’ve tried to describe is the one I’m trying to remember / search for..

I vaguely remember the show you're talking about but can't help with the title. However, I believe it was this dude in the intro. It's from a 1922 film called Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror.

imagesCBR00OK4.jpg

View attachment 48102

I vaguely remember the show you're talking about but can't help with the title. However, I believe it was this dude in the intro. It's from a 1922 film called Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror.

View attachment 48106

FMD!!!!! That’s the one!!!

I am literally getting chills up my spine..... tingling...

That image (scene) from the opening titles used to freak the absolute shite out of me....

Brilliant mate, absolutely brilliant.

Jim Rockford

Bench
Will I need to sit on a toilet the whole time so as to have a sturdy reservoir to contain what will come out of my backside ....?
I think the scene you've already seen is the creepiest, but there are some truly stunning shots throughout. One in particular is a horse-drawn carriage that has a curtain covering the wheels so it looks like the carriage is floating down the road. It's definitely the GrandDaddy of vampire films.

I think the scene you've already seen is the creepiest, but there are some truly stunning shots throughout. One in particular is a horse-drawn carriage that has a curtain covering the wheels so it looks like the carriage is floating down the road. It's definitely the GrandDaddy of vampire films.

cheers.

I wouldn't be surprised if that image somehow worms its way into a dream or two of mine tonight....

Now to figure out that bloody show...

View attachment 48102

View attachment 48106

Further to this... your help (clue) has helped me confirm that indeed the show is "In search of / Great Mysteries of the world".

Found it in here...

“In Search Of…” Leonard Nimoy’s 1970s Reality Show | cinematically insane (wordpress.com)

Further to that - it would appear that the show was only known as "Great Mysteries of the World" in Sydney..... everywhere else, inc Australia/USA etc, it remained "In Search of"...

Now trying to find footage of the intro to the show..... but it's proving fruitless thus far.

Thanks again..

horrie hastings

First Grade
If you haven't already you need to watch the whole movie. It is a true classic.

I have only seen snippets of the film but so much stunning creepy imagery i can see why it is referred to as a classic. I actually have it on the hard drive recorded of chanell 33 TVS so i have had it for a long while and havent watched it fully, i should pull my finger out.

Last edited:

Jim Rockford

Bench
I have only seen snippets of the film but so much stunning creepy imagery is why i can see why it is referred to as a classic. I actually have it on the hard drive recorded of chanell 33 TVS so i have had it for a long while and havent watched it fully, i should pull my finger out.
Absolutely! There are so many iconic scenes throughout and the use of shadows in the cinematography is stunning. One of many great German films from that period.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Came back from the Hunter Valley today via Wollombi then came out onto the road at Peats Ridge virtually at the site of the old Oaks , was told years ago that the Oaks site was falling to pieces but now the place was saved and a few shops are in where it was, not really recognizable as the Oaks building now and to be honest the road from there to Calga did not really look like what i remembered from the 70's also.

something to take my mind of all this spooky stuff..

Old school library cards.....

ab69a8b34430572ab43f7887375de744.jpg

Jim Rockford

Bench
Wow1 That takes me back. It was always interesting to see who had borrowed the book before you, especially when someone had gotten away with using an alias.

horrie hastings

First Grade
That's one of them. There are others that are just as spooky.

This scene was virtually copied in the 1931 version of Dracula, the Count comes out of his coffin and stands on the deck of the ship surveying the crew before he kills them.

Actually just watched the ship scene from Nosferatu, far more chilling than the 1931 Dracula.

etqphukgt3s61.jpg

Last edited:

Zadar

Juniors
Wow1 That takes me back. It was always interesting to see who had borrowed the book before you, especially when someone had gotten away with using an alias.

LOL, I took the BFG,Charlie and the chocolate factory, James and the giant peach, and the witches, and signed them all out as Roald Dahl when i was in about year 3. I think I still have them somewhere 35 years on:relaxed: :flushed:

LOL, I took the BFG,Charlie and the chocolate factory, James and the giant peach, and the witches, and signed them all out as Roald Dahl when i was in about year 3. I think I still have them somewhere 35 years on:relaxed: :flushed:

To think of all those poor kids in school since then, never getting to read such classics because of such thievery...and how their lives have been so much poorer for it...

hqdefault.jpg

SHAME SHAME SHAME