What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT- Jarred Hayne

Gareth67

First Grade
What an absolute imbecile.

He dodges a rape charge in the US while pretending to be an NFL player. Instead of learning his lesson and mending his ways, gets done again, and this time is found guilty.

He may have been a handy footballer, but FMD he'd be lucky to have 2 brain cells floating around in his head. And any sympathy I may have had for him disappeared when his phone call with Pearce was played back. What an absolute turd of a human.

In regards to his quick exit from America , I was dumbfounded at the time as he had gone to so much effort in their pre-season to get his body up to par . He said that his 2nd season with the 49’ers would improve as a result of that extra upper body work .

So when the news came that he had decided to leave the NFL and return to Australia before a ball had been kicked in the competition I could not understand why . Then of course the news comes out that he was charged with rape .

As you have said gizbo71 , what a fool ! Where in the name of hell is this blokes common sense - his sense of decency ? Anyway enough from me on the matter , he has been sentenced and he will find his new life a little bit different to that of a privileged footballer .

giboz71

First Grade
I know jurors are meant to disregard events of the past when assessing a current case, but surely his previous rape charge in the US didn't help his cause. It's not like the jury would have been unaware of this, given his profile.

If ever the phrase "he's got form" was appropriate, it certainly applied in this case.

SBD82

Coach
He definitely would be, but it is going on a long time. The longer it goes it seems the less likely there will be a definitive outcome either way. Im no legal expert but it does look set for a hung jury again.
It could very well be a hung jury, but I think it’s only speculation to predict this based into he length of the deliberations.

They could be debating at length for any number of reasons. It’s as feasible that they are 10-2 guilty, with one not guilty juror reassessing their position, as any other scenario.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
It could very well be a hung jury, but I think it’s only speculation to predict this based into he length of the deliberations.

They could be debating at length for any number of reasons. It’s as feasible that they are 10-2 guilty, with one not guilty juror reassessing their position, as any other scenario.
Maybe that is the case, but the fact it was hung last time and is taking a fair while this time at the very least suggests there is some degree of doubt. Is it reasonable doubt? Who knows

SBD82

Coach
Maybe that is the case, but the fact it was hung last time and is taking a fair while this time at the very least suggests there is some degree of doubt. Is it reasonable doubt? Who knows
The fact it was hung last time meant that at least two jurors couldn’t reach the threshold of “beyond reasonable doubt”. No more. No less.

Last edited:

SBD82

Coach
It would be as it would be speculation it is only the minimum.
It’s not speculative to say that’s the minimum. That’s the baseline that can be concluded from the outcome. It’s why I said “at least”.

There are two kinds of people in the world; those who can extrapolate conclusions from incomplete information.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
It’s not speculative to say that’s the minimum. That’s the baseline that can be concluded from the outcome. It’s why I said “at least”.

There are two kinds of people in the world; those who can extrapolate conclusions from incomplete information.
All I’m saying is it’s obviously a very complicated case with a lot of doubt. It shares no parallel with Hayne’s case other than they are both NRL players. Even if it is the minimum, they have been so staunch in their belief it has gone to retrial, I’m not giving my opinion on the verdict just that clearly it is the kind of case that there are compelling arguments on both sides.

Old Timer

Coach
The fact it was hung last time meant that at least two jurors couldn’t reach the threshold of “beyond reasonable doubt”. No more. No less.
Not necessarily so IMO

10 could have said innocent and 2 might have been totally convinced they are guilty and had no doubt whatsoever.

The jury could be hung for either verdict.