What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

matPORTS

Juniors
Xavier Coates is the kind of player we very much could use at our club over the coming years. Easily solves a lot of problems in our back five (which to me have been in existence since Gypsy retired and are still yet to be completely addressed).

But Storm get their like-for-like replacement for The Fox. Well done to them. Another premiership coming within two-three years.

Ghostrider22

Juniors
Why aren’t we going after Gareth he played great with Ben Hunt, Duffman, Sims. Why do we continue with Norman another nightmare coming on Sunday. We need a play maker now

Ghostrider22

Juniors
Widdop was past his best on his way down, that is why no club is picking him up. Forget about going back to the past, Sullivan and Armone are our future. All we really need to recruit are a top grade fullback and a top grade prop once we have cleared out the deadwood.
Ok, geez Possm we need a decent playmaker now don’t we. It looks bleak at the moment

Gareth67

First Grade
Widdop was past his best on his way down, that is why no club is picking him up. Forget about going back to the past, Sullivan and Armone are our future. All we really need to recruit are a top grade fullback and a top grade prop once we have cleared out the deadwood.

I must agree with Ghostrider on this one possum . :relaxed:

boardlumps62

Juniors
Bloody hell let's move on from the old blokes. It is already being said there is a new game requiring new skills from play makers. The chooks are leading the charge only thing I worry about he hasn't been "sacked" yet. American Football Talk if you know what I mean.
Actually its not new a good coach can teach the players how to find the holes.
Nathan Brown remember him.

possm

Coach
I must agree with Ghostrider on this one possum . :relaxed:
We are paying for our mistakes and some decisions we took a punt on. Norman has been like this for years and yet we still signed him and the only other option we have is Bird and he is not quite ready (medically to play at 6; we knew that would be the case when we signed him.

If people are suggesting we sign Widdop for the remainder of 2021, we just don't have the cap and I'm sure he would want a longer contract. In addition, he has not played at NRL level for a while and so most probably would not perform much better than Norman; even if he wanted to.

Until Sullivan is ready, I'm afraid we are stuck with Norman.

be55

Juniors
In addition, he has not played at NRL level for a while and so most probably would not perform much better than Norman; even if he wanted to.
You could blindfold Widdop and cut one of his legs off and he'd still do a better job than Norman...

I just pray to god that our coach doesn't re-sign Norman because i think my head would literally explode if he did...

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
You could blindfold Widdop and cut one of his legs off and he'd still do a better job than Norman...

I just pray to god that our coach doesn't re-sign Norman because i think my head would literally explode if he did...
Widdop is also a good goal kicker, grand final winning player and would be a much better mentor to Amone and Sullivan than Norman would. When fit he was a match winner when not fit Sullivan or Amone can get a run. He and Hunt would surely be better than Hunt/Clune or Hunt/Norman.

MarkD

Juniors
Taking a look at Nico Hynes would be a definite option... Duf has lost me I’m afraid . His commitment to D is terrible and even in attack seems to be in dream land at times... Nico wants a regular 1st grade spot and is behind Pappen... worth investigation

FlameThrower

Bench
Taking a look at Nico Hynes would be a definite option... Duf has lost me I’m afraid . His commitment to D is terrible and even in attack seems to be in dream land at times... Nico wants a regular 1st grade spot and is behind Pappen... worth investigation
Agreed, I think he is more than worth a punt ....

FlameThrower

Bench
We really need to look at a better quality recruit. Yes while some of these bargain basement buys have been OK,( Macca was a fluke as Cam got injured,), Bird has been fairly solid, although mistake riddled last few games. That Burns guy is underwhelming for me. Alvaro is slow and cumbersome at times. No more rejects and we need at least 1 or 2 quality buys. As the game has changed dramatically in the last 12 months, much faster, so fitness and agility and skill sets are key factors now. No more bench warmers and plodders - we can’t afford that.
Frankly our much hyped junior base is not doing the job now in lower grades, so how can they even be seriously considered for FG candidates...

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
O
We really need to look at a better quality recruit. Yes while some of these bargain basement buys have been OK,( Macca was a fluke as Cam got injured,), Bird has been fairly solid, although mistake riddled last few games. That Burns guy is underwhelming for me. Alvaro is slow and cumbersome at times. No more rejects and we need at least 1 or 2 quality buys. As the game has changed dramatically in the last 12 months, much faster, so fitness and agility and skill sets are key factors now. No more bench warmers and plodders - we can’t afford that.
Frankly our much hyped junior base is not doing the job now in lower grades, so how can they even be seriously considered for FG candidates...
Once the lower grade guys start filtering into our cup side and players like Clune move back they should start improving.

Wittenberg

Juniors
I would go for Hynes as well. He is physically strong and has pace, not Dufty pace but reasonable. His ball playing ability has been on show in his last few appearances and he can play more than one position, but he will always be a second string fullback at the Storm.
It would be good if we got him because I’m tired of the Dufty debate. At the moment so many on this Forum would walk away from him. I personally would not but I’m a sucker for players who can regularly score or set up tries for us.
Yep I’d buy Hynes.....as for Dufty we may need to be careful for what we wish for.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
O

Once the lower grade guys start filtering into our cup side and players like Clune move back they should start improving.

Yes, Forbes, with Clune, Poasa and Ford in the NSW Cup last week they looked a good team for 50 minutes to lead 24-6 but then many horrible handling errors including dropping the first pass from a 20 m restart led to their 28-30 loss.

I think it's quite unfair of Flamethrower to state, "Frankly our much hyped junior base is not doing the job now in lower grades, so how can they even be seriously considered for FG candidates..." Who is he talking about?

1. Sullivan - only one game because of injury
2. Max Feagai - looked good last week in the NRL with the exception of one dropped bomb
3. Mat Feagai - back from lengthy injury spell last week and looked good in the centres in NSW Cup with a couple of tries
4. Shalom - my first look at him last week. I thought he looked a very powerful runner at NSW Cup level.
5. Junior and 6. Tyrell - No senior games due to SG Ball.

I understand the frustration of fans after 3 losses following a surprisingly encouraging start to the season. But it is important to base opinions on facts.

It also helps if you can watch some lower grade games. I know that is much harder to do these days - for me one of the big disappointments in the NRL today is the inability to watch the lower grades at the same venue as the NRL. Many decades ago I used to love to get to Jubilee early to catch at least the 2nd half of the 3rd grade followed by reserves and firsts. The "good old days"!

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Yes, Forbes, with Clune, Poasa and Ford in the NSW Cup last week they looked a good team for 50 minutes to lead 24-6 but then many horrible handling errors including dropping the first pass from a 20 m restart led to their 28-30 loss.

I think it's quite unfair of Flamethrower to state, "Frankly our much hyped junior base is not doing the job now in lower grades, so how can they even be seriously considered for FG candidates..." Who is he talking about?

1. Sullivan - only one game because of injury
2. Max Feagai - looked good last week in the NRL with the exception of one dropped bomb
3. Mat Feagai - back from lengthy injury spell last week and looked good in the centres in NSW Cup with a couple of tries
4. Shalom - my first look at him last week. I thought he looked a very powerful runner at NSW Cup level.
5. Junior and 6. Tyrell - No senior games due to SG Ball.

I understand the frustration of fans after 3 losses following a surprisingly encouraging start to the season. But it is important to base opinions on facts.

It also helps if you can watch some lower grade games. I know that is much harder to do these days - for me one of the big disappointments in the NRL today is the inability to watch the lower grades at the same venue as the NRL. Many decades ago I used to love to get to Jubilee early to catch at least the 2nd half of the 3rd grade followed by reserves and firsts. The "good old days"!
Yeah especially for non Sydney folk. I wish all the games were televised also. I used to love going up in the days of premier league or whatever it was called. Even down here in Canberra before Raiders/Dragons games I could watch the reserve grade game straight prior to the main event, get the best seats and be half pissed before FG began.