What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT- Jarred Hayne

SBD82

Coach
Not necessarily so IMO

10 could have said innocent and 2 might have been totally convinced they are guilty and had no doubt whatsoever.

The jury could be hung for either verdict.
I think you may have misunderstood me. I said that the only information available is that at least 2 said not guilty. So somewhere between 2 and 10 said not guilty.

TruSaint

Referee
Good to hear.

@Illusion , here you go mate.

Tony Williams sacked by New York Freedom over Jarryd Hayne comments

One of Jarryd Hayne's most vocal supporters in the rugby league community has been sacked by his club for comments he made following Hayne's sentencing yesterday.

Tony Williams, who played alongside Hayne for the Eels in 2018 and went to school with him at Westfields Sports High, has been axed by the New York Freedom as a direct result of the comments he made, which included unsavoury remarks about the victim in the case.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fdcf142e4-1af7-4d2d-b9e4-a84e31ed701e

Tony Williams during his sole season as an Eels player in 2018. (Getty)
The Freedom condemned Williams in a statement announcing the sacking, with the statement accompanied by a tweet that said: "We cannot control what others do, but we can control how we respond."

"New York Freedom can confirm that the contract between Tony and the club has been terminated," the statement reads.

"New York Freedom condemns Tony's comments and his opinions are not the opinions of New York Freedom or any party involved with the club."

The statement added that the Freedom are committed to rugby league "always being an inclusive, safe and family-oriented environment."

Williams made three State of Origin appearances for NSW and three Tests for Australia and has not made an NRL appearance since 2018. He joined New York side the Freedom this year and did not make an appearance for them.

Williams was one of two former teammates of Hayne to cop criticism for their comments yesterday after the 33-year-old was sentenced to a maximum prison term of five years and nine months for sexually assaulting a woman in her Newcastle home. Hayne today lodged an appeal.

Krisnan Inu, who is a current player for the Salford Red Devils in the UK Super League was also taken to task on social media for his take on the Hayne trial.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F37d84f53-d61c-4845-89a2-dac647d3cfd5

Krisnan Inu currently plays for Salford. (Getty)
Wide World of Sports has chosen not to publish either Williams' or Inu's posts due to their offensive nature.

After they voiced their opinions, former Wallaby and Sydney Morning Herald columnist Peter FitzSimons suggested players "hold each other accountable".

"Hayne is a rapist and does not deserve public support. Players still playing catch up on how to hold each other accountable," he tweeted.

Law academic at the Australian National University, Dilan Thampapillai, wrote: "It's shocking and disappointing that there are people defending Jarryd Hayne after his conviction. It's worse that there was an attempt to intimidate his victim. We have a long way to go as a society."

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F977058c1-b884-4e00-ba58-ffc37f7378fb

Jarryd Hayne goes into Newcastle Local Court for his sentencing hearing. (Getty)
The comments came after Hayne was seen with NRL star Corey Norman earlier this week in the days leading up to his sentencing hearing. The Dragons playmaker posted a photo to Instagram on Tuesday alongside Hayne and another friend, with the caption: "Catch ups."

Hayne was found guilty of two counts of sexual intercourse without consent and will serve at least three years and eight months behind bars, pending the outcome of his appeal.

ARL Commission boss Peter V'landys today confirmed Hayne's two Dally M Medals could be taken off him, but said a decision on that wouldn't be made until after the appeals process is complete.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/tony-w...comments/e0886fef-3b14-4280-abd2-a955fd33e5e3

SBD82

Coach
Good to hear.

@Illusion , here you go mate.

Tony Williams sacked by New York Freedom over Jarryd Hayne comments

One of Jarryd Hayne's most vocal supporters in the rugby league community has been sacked by his club for comments he made following Hayne's sentencing yesterday.

Tony Williams, who played alongside Hayne for the Eels in 2018 and went to school with him at Westfields Sports High, has been axed by the New York Freedom as a direct result of the comments he made, which included unsavoury remarks about the victim in the case.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fdcf142e4-1af7-4d2d-b9e4-a84e31ed701e

Tony Williams during his sole season as an Eels player in 2018. (Getty)
The Freedom condemned Williams in a statement announcing the sacking, with the statement accompanied by a tweet that said: "We cannot control what others do, but we can control how we respond."

"New York Freedom can confirm that the contract between Tony and the club has been terminated," the statement reads.

"New York Freedom condemns Tony's comments and his opinions are not the opinions of New York Freedom or any party involved with the club."

The statement added that the Freedom are committed to rugby league "always being an inclusive, safe and family-oriented environment."

Williams made three State of Origin appearances for NSW and three Tests for Australia and has not made an NRL appearance since 2018. He joined New York side the Freedom this year and did not make an appearance for them.

Williams was one of two former teammates of Hayne to cop criticism for their comments yesterday after the 33-year-old was sentenced to a maximum prison term of five years and nine months for sexually assaulting a woman in her Newcastle home. Hayne today lodged an appeal.

Krisnan Inu, who is a current player for the Salford Red Devils in the UK Super League was also taken to task on social media for his take on the Hayne trial.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F37d84f53-d61c-4845-89a2-dac647d3cfd5

Krisnan Inu currently plays for Salford. (Getty)
Wide World of Sports has chosen not to publish either Williams' or Inu's posts due to their offensive nature.

After they voiced their opinions, former Wallaby and Sydney Morning Herald columnist Peter FitzSimons suggested players "hold each other accountable".

"Hayne is a rapist and does not deserve public support. Players still playing catch up on how to hold each other accountable," he tweeted.

Law academic at the Australian National University, Dilan Thampapillai, wrote: "It's shocking and disappointing that there are people defending Jarryd Hayne after his conviction. It's worse that there was an attempt to intimidate his victim. We have a long way to go as a society."

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F977058c1-b884-4e00-ba58-ffc37f7378fb

Jarryd Hayne goes into Newcastle Local Court for his sentencing hearing. (Getty)
The comments came after Hayne was seen with NRL star Corey Norman earlier this week in the days leading up to his sentencing hearing. The Dragons playmaker posted a photo to Instagram on Tuesday alongside Hayne and another friend, with the caption: "Catch ups."

Hayne was found guilty of two counts of sexual intercourse without consent and will serve at least three years and eight months behind bars, pending the outcome of his appeal.

ARL Commission boss Peter V'landys today confirmed Hayne's two Dally M Medals could be taken off him, but said a decision on that wouldn't be made until after the appeals process is complete.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/tony-w...comments/e0886fef-3b14-4280-abd2-a955fd33e5e3
Is anyone aware of Williams’ comments? I couldn’t see them on his insta

edit. Never mind. I found them in the smh. What a dumbass.

TruSaint

Referee
Is anyone aware of Williams’ comments? I couldn’t see them on his insta

edit. Never mind. I found them in the smh. What a dumbass.

Former NRL player Tony Williams has been sacked by his current club in New York after a post to his Instagram Story after Hayne was sentenced on Thursday, claiming the Parramatta great was innocent.

“Fn dogs,” Williams wrote.

“To all Haynsy’s family and friends stay strong for him and let God do he’s thing I love you all … God always prevails.

“Before I let this be just want to congratulate the victim and the so called justice system you’ve sent an innocent brotherly to jail away from he’s kids you bunch of flops … that’s all respectively.”

Williams played alongside Hayne at the Parramatta Eels in 2008, finishing his NRL career with 170 matches and 50 tries.

Gareth67

First Grade
Just back to the witless thugs outside the courthouse that had a go at the poor girl , why were there not any police or court sheriffs there to protect her ?

As if she had not been through enough throughout the court process and the actual night of the assault , a unforgivable act from a person who behaved as an animal .

By god society has truly changed for the worse , it seems that the more advanced civilization becomes , the more barbaric we are .

SBD82

Coach
Just back to the witless thugs outside the courthouse that had a go at the poor girl , why were there not any police or court sheriffs there to protect her ?

As if she had not been through enough throughout the court process and the actual night of the assault , a unforgivable act from a person who behaved as an animal .

By god society has truly changed for the worse , it seems that the more advanced civilization becomes , the more barbaric we become .
I’m not sure that citizens of any other age would agree with that mate.

Sure this shit is heinous, but as a society we are heading in a more civilised direction. Albeit dragging some of our citizens in that direction kicking and screaming.

Old Timer

Coach
I think you may have misunderstood me. I said that the only information available is that at least 2 said not guilty. So somewhere between 2 and 10 said not guilty.
I hope I understood you as that is why I posted and believe me it wasn’t being adversarial

Most are seeing the hung jury as being unable to arrive atva majority “guilty” verdict which may be the case but as jury decisions are secret who actually knows what the final count was other than as you correctly say at worst 10 & 2 with the 2 forcing the jury to be hung.

What I’m saying is the vote could have also at worst been 10 & 2 “not guilty” with 2 jurors sticking to the vote they are guilty and the rest arguing yo try and get them to change their position to not guilty and therefore get a unanimous not guilty verdict

That scenario would also mean that the jury is hung as they are not proven by the majority to be “not guilty” which I believe is what is required to render a not guilty verdict.

If no verdict is agreed by majority then the jury is therefore hung and unless it goes to trial again the charges are dismissed and the accused are given the presumption of being innocent.

I may be wrong but to me being proven to be innocent by a majority verdict is far better for the accused than a presumption of innocence due to a hung jury not reaching a unanimous verdict.

SBD82

Coach
I hope I understood you as that is why I posted and believe me it wasn’t being adversarial

Most are seeing the hung jury as being unable to arrive atva majority “guilty” verdict which may be the case but as jury decisions are secret who actually knows what the final count was other than as you correctly say at worst 10 & 2 with the 2 forcing the jury to be hung.

What I’m saying is the vote could have also at worst been 10 & 2 “not guilty” with 2 jurors sticking to the vote they are guilty and the rest arguing yo try and get them to change their position to not guilty and therefore get a unanimous not guilty verdict

That scenario would also mean that the jury is hung as they are not proven by the majority to be “not guilty” which I believe is what is required to render a not guilty verdict.

If no verdict is agreed by majority then the jury is therefore hung and unless it goes to trial again the charges are dismissed and the accused are given the presumption of being innocent.

I may be wrong but to me being proven to be innocent by a majority verdict is far better for the accused than a presumption of innocence due to a hung jury not reaching a unanimous verdict.
Appreciate that you’re not being adversarial.

Just to clarify. Are you saying that the information available is that there were at least 2 saying guilty and 2 saying not guilty?

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Former NRL player Tony Williams has been sacked by his current club in New York after a post to his Instagram Story after Hayne was sentenced on Thursday, claiming the Parramatta great was innocent.

“Fn dogs,” Williams wrote.

“To all Haynsy’s family and friends stay strong for him and let God do he’s thing I love you all … God always prevails.

“Before I let this be just want to congratulate the victim and the so called justice system you’ve sent an innocent brotherly to jail away from he’s kids you bunch of flops … that’s all respectively.”

Williams played alongside Hayne at the Parramatta Eels in 2008, finishing his NRL career with 170 matches and 50 tries.

He's as dumb as dogshit and over 35 years old...yep...Dragons get on the phone with him right now! He fits all our recruitment criteria

Old Timer

Coach
Appreciate that you’re not being adversarial.

Just to clarify. Are you saying that the information available is that there were at least 2 saying guilty and 2 saying not guilty?
No I'm not saying that as nobody knows anything about the 1st jury result other than it was hung.

To be hung as you correctly point out a minimum of 2 people are obviously thinking the opposite way to the others.

In saying that some in here are presuming that 2 people are holding out on a guilty verdict (therefore not convinced or think they are innocent) which IMO is possible but is not he only scenario in play.

It can easily be 2 or more people holding out on a not guilty verdict in other words 10 say innocent 2 say guilty and can't be swayed and in that case you will also get a hung jury, charges dismissed and the presumption of innocence given.

Anyone who sees the length of time the jury is taking is all about whether you can obtain a guilty verdict are missing how equally important to the defendants a not guilty verdict being rendered is to them.

There is no presumption if you are declared not guilty and that would be what every defendant would hope for but no doubt they would take a hung jury, no verdict and presumed innocent over a guilty verdict everytime.

In conclusion the foreman / lady of this jury and the judge would be striving to get a majority verdict as that is the very object of the jury but as to whether that majority verdict is guilty or innocent is the question we should never know the answer to if in fact it is hung.

Dragon David

First Grade
No I'm not saying that as nobody knows anything about the 1st jury result other than it was hung.

To be hung as you correctly point out a minimum of 2 people are obviously thinking the opposite way to the others.

In saying that some in here are presuming that 2 people are holding out on a guilty verdict (therefore not convinced or think they are innocent) which IMO is possible but is not he only scenario in play.

It can easily be 2 or more people holding out on a not guilty verdict in other words 10 say innocent 2 say guilty and can't be swayed and in that case you will also get a hung jury, charges dismissed and the presumption of innocence given.

Anyone who sees the length of time the jury is taking is all about whether you can obtain a guilty verdict are missing how equally important to the defendants a not guilty verdict being rendered is to them.

There is no presumption if you are declared not guilty and that would be what every defendant would hope for but no doubt they would take a hung jury, no verdict and presumed innocent over a guilty verdict everytime.

In conclusion the foreman / lady of this jury and the judge would be striving to get a majority verdict as that is the very object of the jury but as to whether that majority verdict is guilty or innocent is the question we should never know the answer to if in fact it is hung.
When you say "majority verdict" does this means either 12 saying guilty or 12 saying not guilty?

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

I would think if the majority both times was guilty they might try a third trial.

Gareth67

First Grade
I’m not sure that citizens of any other age would agree with that mate.

Sure this shit is heinous, but as a society we are heading in a more civilised direction. Albeit dragging some of our citizens in that direction kicking and screaming.

It was the behavior of not only of Hayne himself on the night , but also his so called ‘ supporters ‘ who displayed such menace to the girl .

Their absolute arrogance - and ignorance of the magistrates decision to give jail time to their mate and those big tough barstards manhandle and insult her after an ordeal that will effect her life on a daily basis for who knows how long .

Perhaps in years gone by a man would had taken a shotgun to the lot of them .

Apologies for getting somewhat carried away , but their behavior was just so damn cowardly .

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
It was the behavior of not only of Hayne himself , but also his so called ‘ supporters ‘ who displayed such menace to the girl .

Their absolute arrogance - and ignorance of the magistrates decision to give jail time to their mate and those big tough barstards manhandle and insult her after an ordeal that will effect her life on a daily basis for who knows how long .

Perhaps in years gone by a man would had taken a shotgun to the lot of them .

Apologies for getting somewhat carried away , but their behavior was just so damn cowardly .
And with his appeal now in motion I don't think this will help him at all. The jury is supposed to look at court facts only but we all know in the age of the internet that is never going to happen. Surely there will be some kind of unconscious bias against him even more that before seeing how he and his mates reacted.

Old Timer

Coach
When you say "majority verdict" does this means either 12 saying guilty or 12 saying not guilty?
Whilst not 100% certain I believe the following to be correct.

Unanimous is 12 - 0 or 11 - 0 if only 11 jurors empanelled.

Majority is 11 -1 or 10 - 1 if only 11 jurors empanelled.

If none of the above then the jury has been unable to reach a verdict.

The above I believe applies to both guilty & not guilty verdicts.

Latest posts