What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manu Vatuvei facing life in jail

kdalymc

Bench
Funny if it's not the NRL player and just the bloke on here with that user name.
Hehehe

Munky

Coach
not hard to drop me, I’d shit myself if Todd Byrne staunched up to me

As much as I love Todd Byrne for his lack of top end speed he was pretty solid first grader who made the most of his talent. If you organised a fight I imagine he'd come in with a pretty solid plan to lay a beat down.

Meth

Staff member
he dropped his opponent in his one pro boxing fight pretty damn well so I wouldn’t be saying that in front of him :joy:

That's right, I forgot about that. We all thought he was going to get his arse handed to him that night.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
That's right, I forgot about that. We all thought he was going to get his arse handed to him that night.

Showed some real promise there, he absolutely destroyed Letele who was a pretty tough assignment for a first fight. Shame he got medically barred from further fights due to a benign brain cyst. I remember him saying around the time of the fight that boxing had been really good for him medically and had snapped him out of a post-footy depressive rut. I wonder if having that post-football opportunity taken away from him through bad luck led him to lose the plot a bit and make some bad decisions.

Munky

Coach
I'm wondering if we'll see more of this generation of footballers get caught up in poorly thought out money making schemes.

Pre say 2005 a good fringe rep player earned good money but not exactly unattainable in other careers after a few years. From then to about 2017 the same player was earning really good money that the average Joe would need to be pretty senior management to earn. Mick Gordon was fringe rep quality for about half decade so wouldn't have been quite at set yourself up for life level.

I imagine retirement hit these guys hard one the realisation that getting even a third of their pre retirement income will be difficult and the lifestyle is unattainable.

Current top 17 in a squad players are all on set yourself up for life money and you would hope clubs are encouraging max super contributions and putting a chunk of after tax salary into Vanguard funds.

Diesel

Referee
Deserves much longer inside considering what it does to people and destroys families.

ATOWN2

Juniors
FWIW I know a fair bit about Manu and he’s probably not the squeaky clean bloke he somehow got a reputation as. tbh you only need to follow his social media to get a different feel for the guy...not that there’s anything outright bad on there, just a different vibe
Don't know him at all, but the media always portrayed him as a friendly giant that always appeared very humble and happy. Never would've expected Manu to get involved in anything like this!