What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Retain Fui and Dufty. I can't see anyone at the moment in our squad who can provide the attack that Dufty has been doing - we need him and that includes longer term. Hook would be very happy with the way Fui is playing so he is a keep as well.

Another thing is, we have definitely got to improve our depth. Once the outcome of JDB's case has been resolved, I'm sure that our Recruitment and Retention staff will be directed to do their thing to sign up some better players to compliment our squad. Brandon Smith would be nice as the main hooker with McCullough on the bench or in Reggies. Renouf Atoni from the Bulldogs would also be nice.

The backs we have are very good. We need big, tough forwards on top of what we have including Molo who we have already signed.

I'd be making a play for Toby Rudolph as well- high work rate, good engine, big body- can play in the middle or on the edge. We may not have gotten him had Morris stayed but the Sharks are a now divided team without a decent half back and we, for once, offer some stability and the promise of better times.

George Sancti

Juniors
Despite some of the performances of the past month, I still maintain that our top 13 players are competitive with all teams other than Penrith, Souths, Melbourne or the Roosters.

Therefore, I would prefer our recruitment group allow Norman and the fringe first graders to leave at season’s end, retain the young brigade (as much as possible) and focus solely on acquiring one or possibly two top line players such as a Brandon Smith, Jaydn Su’a, Kurt Capwell or Angus Crichton. If we have to pay top dollar for one of these players, then I see it as money well spent, as an elite player generally makes those around him perform better.

Last edited:

blacksafake

First Grade
I'd be making a play for Toby Rudolph as well- high work rate, good engine, big body- can play in the middle or on the edge. We may not have gotten him had Morris stayed but the Sharks are a now divided team without a decent half back and we, for once, offer some stability and the promise of better times.
I’m not completely sold on him but can see where you’re coming from.
He appears to be going through the motions so maybe he’s not enjoying life there.

BLM01

First Grade
I’m not completely sold on him but can see where you’re coming from.
He appears to be going through the motions so maybe he’s not enjoying life there.
I understand where you’re coming from it’s just that we need more big bodies in the middle with good speed because once PV snd BL come off we seem to be lacking in getting forward eaten up big time
And I have said this a few times I have noticed lately with the exception of Lawrie that we seem to be getting the ball too flat or with no momentum especially with settlers
Max Feagai is another one guilty of this
I thought the Bulldogs showed us how it’s done in the middle in attack

denis preston

First Grade
I question for the Sharks fans that sometimes contribute here. I've heard that some of you ( who watch every game ) believe Rudolph may not be as good as the hype suggests, is that true ?

Maddragon99

Juniors
I question for the Sharks fans that sometimes contribute here. I've heard that some of you ( who watch every game ) believe Rudolph may not be as good as the hype suggests, is that true ?
I’m actually not a fan I think he’s a bit over rated. Moose is playing very well at 13 right now, if we get de Belin back I’d like him to play 11 & put Kerr back to the prop rotation. That gives us a lot of depth plus Molo arriving next year. Luke Capewell would be a better signing.

possm

Coach
I understand where you’re coming from it’s just that we need more big bodies in the middle with good speed because once PV snd BL come off we seem to be lacking in getting forward eaten up big time
And I have said this a few times I have noticed lately with the exception of Lawrie that we seem to be getting the ball too flat or with no momentum especially with settlers
Max Feagai is another one guilty of this
I thought the Bulldogs showed us how it’s done in the middle in attack
I've always been in favour of both the defecing side and the attacking side being back 10m from the ruck. No more flat passes or forward passes and plenaty of room to showcase some good attacking moves. The 6 again calls would be reduced mainly because there would not be the urgency for defending sides to get up inside the 10.

I'd say it would be a much better and safer game with this rule in place.

Dragon David

First Grade
I hope that Hook, Haran, Millward and Co. have got their heads down and going through the roster and working out who to keep and who to let go and who to try and sign. We don't want to be left at the starting gate when I see all the possible movements going on with other clubs.

For us 2022 is extremely important if we want to be in the top 4. Good signings and retentions are crucial so go to it boys and get the job done.

thebigredv

First Grade
I hope that Hook, Haran, Millward and Co. have got their heads down and going through the roster and working out who to keep and who to let go and who to try and sign. We don't want to be left at the starting gate when I see all the possible movements going on with other clubs.

For us 2022 is extremely important if we want to be in the top 4. Good signings and retentions are crucial so go to it boys and get the job done.

Very surprised we haven't been mentioned as chasing anyone. We've lost more $$$ worth of players in the last two seasons than most clubs, and we have a couple more who would be on the chopping block with their contracts up.

This is simply where the staff you mentioned need to prove their worth to our club. It's too easy to play a waiting game and play conservative waiting for an offcut to become available. That's been the strategy previously. Hooks already come in and shown more nouse in this department but yet to land that big fish who can be the lynchpin for our side.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Very surprised we haven't been mentioned as chasing anyone. We've lost more $$$ worth of players in the last two seasons than most clubs, and we have a couple more who would be on the chopping block with their contracts up.

This is simply where the staff you mentioned need to prove their worth to our club. It's too easy to play a waiting game and play conservative waiting for an offcut to become available. That's been the strategy previously. Hooks already come in and shown more nouse in this department but yet to land that big fish who can be the lynchpin for our side.

Not long ago we were the club everyone was linked to: "The Dragons have shown intererest in .....", "The Dragons look like a possible landing spot for ...." and so on and so forth.
We have lost that tag now and it appears the Bulldogs are the new "landing zone" for players.

I suppose we were so used to discussing the possibility of signing whatever player was mentioned, that now its very quiet, it's almost too secretive.
I know theres a lot of work going on in the background, sorting our current roster in relation to performance and salary cap. Theres also the fact we have a lot of promising junior players coming through to which we dont want to create roadblocks for, and Hook is all for giving them an opportunity when the time is right, like last weekend.

For every outside recruitement, a roadblock is created basically for the length of their contract. Not saying for one minute that recruitement from outside isnt necessary, it is definitely, however, the fine balance between what we need and what we have has to be considered.

Old Timer

Coach
Marvellous how some are now locking onto Fuimaono and even suggesting an upgrade and a 3 year contract.

At his very best he is a bench / depth player and will not make the difference required to get us to top 4.

Giving him 3 years is ensuring we again start blocking pathways for our juniors.

People getting all excited about some stout defence and the odd big hit but forgetting that at times he drops off tackles and can be beaten by players with reasonable footwork and tbh has he really made a big statement in attack yes a few things here and there but IMO a poor man’s Joel Thompson.

In the years ahead if he can easily walk into our 1st grade team then we have some real issues.

Dragon David

First Grade
"For every outside recruitement, a roadblock is created basically for the length of their contract. Not saying for one minute that recruitement from outside isnt necessary, it is definitely, however, the fine balance between what we need and what we have has to be considered."

I agree with what you say Dragonslayer. I can see quite a few of our players being let go at the end of this season (reserve grade ones mainly) and the good youthful ones advanced to the reserves preparatory to eventually reaching first grade status. So balancing all of this and the salary cap is a big job and because Hook and Co. want to extend their careers, they need time to make sure they end up with the right cattle and the money available to buy them. Not easy in this ever changing merry-go-round of players' with the cream being able to pick and choose which club to go to whilst the dregs wait in a long queue for offers.

I'd rather us wait for the right ones to be signed than to take any rejects which we have had years of experiencing this just to make up the numbers.

We do have great young ones coming up so if we can keep them and nurture them they will become our main players one day.

Slippery Morris

First Grade

Pretty hard to do when they have 700-800k waiting in the side for JDB case to be resolved. No team has this problem or has ever had to face this problem. I am sure they will be in the market once it is over. If JDB is cleared they will not so much targeting a higher profile player as they have Jack back, if he is guilty then they definitely will go for a higher profile forward. Like for like replacement.

Worst case scenario is 3rd trial and another long delay. Not sure what they will do then in the market.

Walpole

Juniors
Marvellous how some are now locking onto Fuimaono and even suggesting an upgrade and a 3 year contract.

At his very best he is a bench / depth player and will not make the difference required to get us to top 4.

Giving him 3 years is ensuring we again start blocking pathways for our juniors.

People getting all excited about some stout defence and the odd big hit but forgetting that at times he drops off tackles and can be beaten by players with reasonable footwork and tbh has he really made a big statement in attack yes a few things here and there but IMO a poor man’s Joel Thompson.

In the years ahead if he can easily walk into our 1st grade team then we have some real issues.
Unfortunately, around here a good game means the player's on the cusp of Origin selection while a bad one means they should be playing for Dapto.

boardlumps62

Juniors

I'm one of his supporters as he is weekly one of out best forwards. Bit sad really as he don't have much to beat. Don't know about a long contact.

Gareth67

First Grade
Agree that Fuimaono has been playing better footy than previously , however he along with a number of other players whom have found ‘ a new lease of life ‘ this season under Griffin , still have a long way to go before they are truly capable of playing quality football on a weekly basis .

This weekend’s match against the Storm should answer that question once and for all - are they top grade players or merely filling in the numbers ?

Latest posts