What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Perth Red

Post Whore
Many people in SEQ expect Brisbane to have 3 teams in the medium term, it’s just when PVL mentions it, you’ve lowered yourself to name calling.

Anyone would think the game has no long term vision for where it wants to be or strategic plan to get there!

Vlandys: We haven't yet decided on any expansion, but we might have five queensland teams soon, then again the CEO likes NZ so that might be the way to go, but I wouldnt discount Perth either, then again we might not expand at all.

'The answer my friend is blowing in the wind, the answer is blowing in the wind.,,,,,,,," (Bob Dylan 1962)

Imo the honeymoon is over with PVL. He’s made his mark... saving the game...now it’s time for the next phases .. which according to Abdo are consolidate and grow...

A lot of the recent quotes from PVL to me are sheer grandstanding, and flippant. It keeps the NRL in the news but it’s just unnecessary to me.

He did say that we’ll see less of him this year, but when he does appear it’s quotes like the “5 teams in Qld” or the Matt Johns interview bagging rugby n AFL...

I’d like to know what the ARLC are truly doing to consolidate the game. And what targets they have to grow longer term. Eg “we want a 17th team in Brisbane by 2023 and an 18th team by 2025”

Just an example on expansion, but also what is the strategy for country areas, for the women’s game, the pacific nations - player pathways...

I’m sure they’re still working it out. but all the bollocks of floating ideas to the public (eg conferences) smacks of a publicity grab, not certainty of what they intend to do moving forward...

PVL was front and centre all last year, and took a back seat this year. Andrew Abdo, where for art though... the bloke might as well be a ghost. For all the things people think about Todd Greenberg... he never shied away from interviews, was always in the media and answered the tough questions...

It’s like these 2 in charge are being given a hall pass.

MugaB

Coach
Imo the honeymoon is over with PVL. He’s made his mark... saving the game...now it’s time for the next phases .. which according to Abdo are consolidate and grow...

A lot of the recent quotes from PVL to me are sheer grandstanding, and flippant. It keeps the NRL in the news but it’s just unnecessary to me.

He did say that we’ll see less of him this year, but when he does appear it’s quotes like the “5 teams in Qld” or the Matt Johns interview bagging rugby n AFL...

I’d like to know what the ARLC are truly doing to consolidate the game. And what targets they have to grow longer term. Eg “we want a 17th team in Brisbane by 2023 and an 18th team by 2025”

Just an example on expansion, but also what is the strategy for country areas, for the women’s game, the pacific nations - player pathways...

I’m sure they’re still working it out. but all the bollocks of floating ideas to the public (eg conferences) smacks of a publicity grab, not certainty of what they intend to do moving forward...

PVL was front and centre all last year, and took a back seat this year. Andrew Abdo, where for art though... the bloke might as well be a ghost. For all the things people think about Todd Greenberg... he never shied away from interviews, was always in the media and answered the tough questions...

It’s like these 2 in charge are being given a hall pass.
Todd was a snake, all the money that should have been put into country RL, had been blown on a multi million dollar facility just for HQ, what a croc of shìt, there's way too much impatient "Expansionists" here.
What these guys have already done in a year, couldn't ever have gotten done since over 15 years ago.. no one at HQ had the ball to drive the game to better, always looking for a cop out, and pretending to listen to the fans, these guys have gotten rid of the wrestle in rucks, and cut significant costs, now we have expansion finally, we should have been here a decade ago already

Todd was a snake, all the money that should have been put into country RL, had been blown on a multi million dollar facility just for HQ, what a croc of shìt, there's way too much impatient "Expansionists" here.
What these guys have already done in a year, couldn't ever have gotten done since over 15 years ago.. no one at HQ had the ball to drive the game to better, always looking for a cop out, and pretending to listen to the fans, these guys have gotten rid of the wrestle in rucks, and cut significant costs, now we have expansion finally, we should have been here a decade ago already

Never said Todd was a great CEO... but he was a strong presence in the media, happy to speak to anyone, never shied away from “tough” questions....

Abdo is like the Wizard of Oz, you never see him, hiding behind some curtain... and the fans and all the media are like happy little munchkins running around thinking life is great....

MugaB

Coach
Never said Todd was a great CEO... but he was a strong presence in the media, happy to speak to anyone, never shied away from “tough” questions....

Abdo is like the Wizard of Oz, you never see him, hiding behind some curtain... and the fans and all the media are like happy little munchkins running around thinking life is great....
Life is great, my panthers are winning and expansion is on the horizon.
The game is run better, and plays better than it ever has, i just want to see us back to 1997 where Perth and Adelaide were playing, and we'll get there, but there's gotta be enough talent to spread around. That will only happen if we open more teams in both QLD & NZ

Life is great, my panthers are winning and expansion is on the horizon.
The game is run better, and plays better than it ever has, i just want to see us back to 1997 where Perth and Adelaide were playing, and we'll get there, but there's gotta be enough talent to spread around. That will only happen if we open more teams in both QLD & NZ

mate I’m genuinely happy for you.. that club of yours has gone from a complete basket case on the brink of bankruptcy to being a true, sustainable powerhouse in the NRL. And they did in in their own steam. I’m not the jealous type but I wish my own club stopped treading on rakes for so long and got their act together like your club did...

As for the NRL...

A long way to go... there are various issues in the country, in the suburbs n schools - “guerilla warfare” with AFL... and the game itself with balancing a spectacle with player welfare n concussions etc... it’s in danger of losing its identity if they get it wrong...

PVL is happy to take the stand and talk up changing the rules for a better spectacle and “speeding up the game”... yet when each week we see one referee trying to govern a “faster” game... we’re seeing a volume of such ridiculous decisions and issues on the field - unprecedented in my opinion. The ref has his backside hanging out.

But rather than justify changes or answer questions on this, instead he sends Graham Annesley out each week to mop up the blood...

PVL n Abdo could give Anne Frank lessons on how to hide.

Perth Red

Post Whore
mate I’m genuinely happy for you.. that club of yours has gone from a complete basket case on the brink of bankruptcy to being a true, sustainable powerhouse in the NRL. And they did in in their own steam. I’m not the jealous type but I wish my own club stopped treading on rakes for so long and got their act together like your club did...

As for the NRL...

A long way to go... there are various issues in the country, in the suburbs n schools - “guerilla warfare” with AFL... and the game itself with balancing a spectacle with player welfare n concussions etc... it’s in danger of losing its identity if they get it wrong...

PVL is happy to take the stand and talk up changing the rules for a better spectacle and “speeding up the game”... yet when each week we see one referee trying to govern a “faster” game... we’re seeing a volume of such ridiculous decisions and issues on the field - unprecedented in my opinion. The ref has his backside hanging out.

But rather than justify changes or answer questions on this, instead he sends Graham Annesley out each week to mop up the blood...

a big part of is it is the media are in bed with him due to his nsw racing role. I’ve literally only seen one newspaper story questioning his decisions in the time since he took over (masters recently questioning the burying of the TVs deal revenue) . Without critical oversight he thinks he can do what he likes how he likes. There is no way any previous ceo or chair wouldn’t have been crucified for burying the reality of tv revenue and the deal like he has done. The game is becoming unrecognisable with the constant rule changing, games are blowing out more regular than players knees and expansion is being rushed through with no transparency. But hey he got the game going first during covid lol

MugaB

Coach

As for the NRL...

Penrith always had the talent, just not the admin and proper pathways to be successful, now we have set up an acedemy, and dont need to pay overs, for players on their way out, penrith isn't really in Sydney, its about an hour west, so attracting players was hard unless they were local.
Yeah refs always cop it, but flipside they were always hiding behind bernie too, i don't care if the refs have their arses out, as long as they are calling the right calls, and not afraid, its the bunker that needs looking at

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
a big part of is it is the media are in bed with him due to his nsw racing role. I’ve literally only seen one newspaper story questioning his decisions in the time since he took over (masters recently questioning the burying of the TVs deal revenue) . Without critical oversight he thinks he can do what he likes how he likes. There is no way any previous ceo or chair wouldn’t have been crucified for burying the reality of tv revenue and the deal like he has done. The game is becoming unrecognisable with the constant rule changing, games are blowing out more regular than players knees and expansion is being rushed through with no transparency. But hey he got the game going first during covid lol
Who cares, this isnt star wars with the chancellor rigging the senate to be emperor, seriuosly get a reality check, this PVL might be the one guy that will make expansion to perth happen, no other Admin would dare challenge AFL, in a state where it rules outright, the more you death ride him, the more you'll eat your words, when he'll make it somewhat sustainable for clubs to want to go to WA

Perth Red

Post Whore
Who cares, this isnt star wars with the chancellor rigging the senate to be emperor, seriuosly get a reality check, this PVL might be the one guy that will make expansion to perth happen, no other Admin would dare challenge AFL, in a state where it rules outright, the more you death ride him, the more you'll eat your words, when he'll make it somewhat sustainable for clubs to want to go to WA

its more likely I’ll get a threesome with Gail gadot and scarlet johanson than Vlandys put a team in perth!

Penrith always had the talent, just not the admin and proper pathways to be successful, now we have set up an acedemy, and dont need to pay overs, for players on their way out, penrith isn't really in Sydney, its about an hour west, so attracting players was hard unless they were local.
Yeah refs always cop it, but flipside they were always hiding behind bernie too, i don't care if the refs have their arses out, as long as they are calling the right calls, and not afraid, its the bunker that needs looking at

Tonight’s matches have been turned into a circus with this over-zealous “crackdown” on sin binning....

Who drove this directive??

Vlandys sits in the big chair.. it starts at the top,

who will have to answer to the circus the ARLC have made for themselves?

You bet your arse it ain’t Vlandys.. he’ll push Annesley out the door again “go and deal with that s**t will ya”...??

bileduct

Coach
PVL did a good job in 2020 but the needless rules changes this season have turned the game into a joke.

Not one rule change has been effective and the quality of the football has diminished.
Yep, and the game feels more stop-start than f**king ever with all the bunker reviews and captain's challenges. That was my whole problem with the game, how much time was being wasted while they finger f**ked each other in the bunker. Now they're doing it even more and the games seem to be longer.

Latest posts