What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite “Cult Classic”

kit66

Bench
Outstanding selection! I remember seeing Shogun Assassin back in the early 80s and then being super amped when I found out it was actually made up of the first 2 films in a series of six. I had to wait a while before I was able to get all of them from Japan.

Top 3 Samurai films -
Seven Samurai 1954 - ( Copied by John Sturges as The Magnificent Seven 1960 )
Yojimbo 1961 ( copied by Sergio Leone as A Fist Full Of Dollars 1964 starring Clint Eastwood ).
Kiru ( Kill ) 1968 - This is a parody of the Samurai genre but really well done ( it's basically a Sushi Western that borrows from many Samurai classics including the two I mentioned above ). There's some great laughs in this and plenty of very well staged sword action. The music bt Masaru Sato is great - itself a Japanese version of spaghetti western themes by the likes of Ennio Morricone. The two leads are excellent.

You might also like Samurai I, II and III : Musashi Miyamoto 1954. 3 movies covering the life of Japans' greatest Samurai, featuring some of the country's best actors from the period including Toshiro Mifune in the lead role. It follows the original book by Eiji Yoshikawa pretty closely ( it's a great read, one of my favourite books ).

Last edited:

Jim Rockford

Bench
Top 3 Samurai films -
Seven Samurai 1954 - ( Copied by John Sturges as The Magnificent Seven 1960 )
Yojimbo 1961 ( copied by Sergio Leone as A Fist Full Of Dollars 1964 starring Clint Eastwood ).
Kiru ( Kill ) 1968 - This is a parody of the Samurai genre but really well done ( it's basically a Sushi Western that borrows from many Samurai classics including the two I mentioned above ). There's some great laughs in this and plenty of very well staged sword action. The music is great - itself a Japanese version of spaghetti western themes by the likes of Ennio Morricone. The two leads are excellent.

You might also like Samurai I, II and III : Musashi Miyamoto 1954. 3 movies covering the life of Japans' greatest Samurai, featuring some of the country's best actors from the period including Toshiro Mifune in the lead role. It follows the original book by Eiji Yoshikawa pretty closely ( it's a great read, one of my favourite books ).
Seen all of those. I really liked Samurai I,II and III so I'll have to track down that book.

Wizardman

First Grade
Three Chuck Norris movies that are a must watch, Lone Wolf McQuade, Code of Silence and the Octagon. Love all Chuck’s work but these three are awesome.
f**k yay....another Chuck Norris fan. Im a big lover of "Missing in Action 2". By far, the best acting of Chuck Norris's career was in that movie....particularly when his mate gets burnt to death.

The Hitcher (1986)
Secret Admirer (1985)
Men At Work (1990)
Young Guns (1988) and II (1990)
Mannequin (1987)
Jumpin Jack Flash (1986)
Crocodile Dundee (1986)
Malcolm (1986)
Frog Dreaming (1986)
BMX Bandits (1983)
My Science Project (1985)
Re-animator (1985)
The Frighteners (1997)
Braindead (1992)
Johnny Mnemonic (1996)
Judge Dredd (1995)
Dredd (2012)
Arachnophobia 1990
Honey I Shrunk The Kids 1989
Darkman 1990
Hardware 1990
Navy SEALs 1990

Last edited:

reanimate

Bench
Sunshine- one of the best sci-fi movies I’ve seen. Phenomenal soundtrack, visuals and Cillian Murphy’s performance was top notch. It was also the movie that this piece was written for, which has now featured in a stack of trailers, tv shows and other movies:

Jim Rockford

Bench
Just picked up an Aussie Cult Classic from the 80s on ebay - Fast Talking. Those who've seen it might remember the scene where the main character (a teenage boy) is sitting in class using a razor blade to scrape chalkdust off a piece of chalk to pass off as speed. It featured Steve Bisley (from Mad Max), Tracy Mann(Sweet and Sour) and Christopher Truswell (Nudge from Hey Dad).

70s fave classic cult .
Rocky Horror Picture Show . It's timeless.
fave Aust classic cult
Bad Boy Bubby.

Other honourable mentions ..Boondocks Saints
The Big Lebowski .
& recently
Tucker & Dale V Evil.

horrie hastings

First Grade
The Maltese Falcon 1941, If you've never sat down and watched an old black and white Film Noir ( or gangster flick ) or never watched a Humphrey Bogart film then you should give this a shot. Wait for a miserable rainy arvo, draw the curtains, get some popcorn and put this on to see what real style and film making used to be. A great cast from the past with Bogie as Sam Spade, Private eye, going after the crooks that killed his partner.

I bought this as 3 pack box set when i was last in the States, the pack contained the original 1931 version, a 1936 version called Satan Met A Lady starring Bette Davis and Warren William beside the 1941 Bogart version, i bought the pack mainly for the Bette Davis version as it wasn't available anywhere else at the time and i'm intrigued to watch all three.

Made me think that i actually have quite a few Bogart movies in my DVD collection, most are with Bette Davis.

Bad Sister- one of his very early films and Bette's first movie
Three On A Match - A small role as a gangster
The Petrified Forest -This movie really established Bogart as a gangster, one of his best performances.
Marked Woman - Bogey plays a good guy in this one, a district attorney, great roles for both Bette Davis and Bogart.
Kid Galahad - Fun boxing movie with Edward G Robinson.
Dark Victory -must have only done this due to being under contract to Warner, even though it is a great movie Bogart is miscast as an Irish stable hand.

The Two Mrs Carrolls- another great film noir /drama with Barbara Stanwyck.

So have 8 Bogart movies off the top of my head and 6 of them are with Bette Davis.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Grand Guignol or hag horror, lots of stars from the Hollywood era did at least one of these movies when their career was on the skids or washed up, probably the best example and most successful was What Ever Happened To Baby Jane starring Bette Davis and Joan Crawford, following the success of this movie studios wanted to team up Davis and Crawford again in a similar sort of drama and Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte was born, fast forward to the production and an anxious Joan Crawford held up shooting and admitted herself to hospital, this eventually led to the part being re written and re cast even though half the movie had been shot. Crawford was replaced by Olivia De Havilland which was a master stroke as she played the villainess so subtly you don't suspect her until well into the movie, the teaming of Davis and De Havilland was a master stroke and also Agnes Morrehead and Mary Astor in her last role round out a superb female cast. Brooding and atmospheric with brilliant black and white photography and the odd splash of cheesy horror this is one of the best movies in this genre and one of my all time favourites.

Last edited:

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Harry Brown (2009)
Fright Night (1985)
The Right Stuff (1983)
Stickmen (2001)
DragonHeart (1986)
Heat (1995)
Malcolm X (1992)
Fire And Ice (1983)
Salesman (1969)
The Big Steal (1990)
Dating The Enemy (1996)

Jim Rockford

Bench
Some WIP goodness starring the wonderfully curvy Pam Grier.
The Big Doll House
Women In Cages
The Big Bird Cage
Black Mama White Mama

Latest posts