What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The jersey designs are awful in the QLD Cup

Brutus

Referee
I just saw a line up of Intrust Super Cup club captains and my first thought was some of the awful jersey designs.

Norths had the right idea a couple of years ago when they returned to their predominantly sky blue 80s design. Why didn't they stick to it!!!! It has got progressively worse since then.

Wynnum-Manly should be green and red. Ruined at times by the predominantly white crap. The current home jersey is good, but their away jerseys over the years have been deplorable.

At least 'Easts' have the right idea. Stick to a jersey similar to your glory years. Shame they changed their name.

Man there are some hideous designs in there.

Anyway, can't wait for kick-off. Great to have this marvellous comp back on deck.

Last edited:

hellteam

First Grade
I love jerseys and I'm bored at work so I'm going to bite here!!

158267072_4469916793024889_6747211561140435210_o.jpg

Norths - Understand they have gone away from their traditional sky blue colours but there is at least some sky blue in their. I think it's a pretty sharp design otherwise, the gradient works well. They wore it with yellow shorts and socks (see below) on the weekend, perhaps an away design. I don't think it works as well. Anyway, I'll give it a 7.5/10

163973020_128594585939055_6993370815424094333_o.jpg

PNG - Ugly. Lines everywhere and a very garish yellow colour. Watched the game on the weekend and the patterns go right through the numbers, they are barely visible. Good luck to the commentators. Miss these below ones. 4.5/10

eight_col_hunters.jpg

Central - Very. very close to the jersey Mackay wore when winning the comp years ago. Apart from that, can't complain here. Away is a reverse, with blue the main colour. 8/10

163404106_4491178790898689_3608874356342762206_o.jpg

Mackay - Not really a fan of the colour scheme or jerseys. Assume they've done it to look different to Central. But its a fail from me. Haven't seen the away kit, I think it's white though. 4.5/10

Sunshine Coast - Hasnt changed for a while now. Not terrible, not great. Another chevron for chevron's sake. 6/10

Northern Pride - Like the colours, they are pretty unique.. I wish they didn't go with the chevron, but apart from that it is pretty good. Haven't seen the away yet. 6.5/10

Souths - No, no, no. There's no need for the blue and yellow. If it has to be there make it a sleeve trim only like it has been in the post. At least they have gone back to black shorts (was white last year). Other than that it's clean enough.5.5/10

Ipswich - Probablythe worst of the bunch. Looks like a budget jersey for a budget local league club. What happened to the green and white stripes. 3.5/10

Burleigh - Zzzzz, nice colours but they look like they've tried to design a Qld origin jersey, and have done a bad job at that. The red sponsor patch is an eyesore. 4.5/10

Wynnum - Contrary to the above comment, I think this one is actually quite good. Solid design, good colours. I'd maybe prefer it with white shorts, the red is a bit much for me. 8/10

Redcliffe - I'm still unsure if the one in the photo is the home or away. The other version is the opposite. Bring back this one. 6.5/10

hqdefault.jpg

Tweed - It's Tweed, it's similar every year. Maybe too much black for me, I preferred them with a white back of jersey. 6.5/10

Townsville - This has been the same since they came into the competition. I don't mind tradition.... but at least make it a classic. Time to change it up. 5.5/10

EASTS Tigers - Not much change from the usual here, not a huge fan of the orange outline on the pants. Also the black line along the sleeves is unnecessary. 7/10

Overall, I agree with you, these could be way better! A lot of them also have sponsors on the back of shorts as well, which is never a good look.

expansionist

Juniors
Yeah I have to say I'm constantly disappointed by the jersey designs in QCup.

So much scope for creativity and so little shown.

The point about sponsors is one that irks me - theres just too many for mine (NRL is the same).

Understand the commentary around 'need income to survive at this level etc' but theres different methods for income generation. Spots on a jersey for mine are akin to selling the farm.

hellteam

First Grade
https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2021/04/18/devils-overcome--magpies-in-physical-high-scoring-game/

The jerseys Norths wore yesterday were utterly horrible?

Why do they do it? Nobody is going to buy it. What is wrong with predominantly sky blue?

Away teams nearly always wear their away jersey in Q Cup. Even if the home kit clashes less. Not sure if it is to get sponsors more exposure (might be different on home and away). Anyway it's frustrating.

Norths away is shocking they looked like bananas.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Wynnum's jersey is fantastic. The rest, a bit ordinary IMO

yakstorm

First Grade
PNG Hunters have only just gotten their 2021 kit (EV2 had delays getting it to them).

Home Kit:
PNGHUNTERS-2021-HOMEJERSEY-FRONT_1600x.png

Alternate Kit:
PNGHUNTERS-2021-AWAYJERSEY-FRONT_1600x.png

The kit looked a lot better when they wore it against Burleigh.

179318170_822326135076996_2756952566413575172_n.jpg

hellteam

First Grade
Ahh I saw those photos and wondered what that jersey was, I thought it might have been an Anzac jersey.

I noticed (you can see in that photo) there is an inscription dedicated to the Grand chief of PNG who recently died - nicely executed.

I was looking through the W Rugby League page on Instagram, and was surprised to see that Wests Panthers still have that god awful "Q Shield" logo and the low-res panther from decades ago. Any reason they haven't got with the times with the rest of the clubs in Qld?

XXXX Cap

Juniors
They are not a Queensland Cup level club anymore and I don't think they would have too much in the coffers to be spending on anything that's not necessary.

steeden.

Juniors
I was looking through the W Rugby League page on Instagram, and was surprised to see that Wests Panthers still have that god awful "Q Shield" logo and the low-res panther from decades ago. Any reason they haven't got with the times with the rest of the clubs in Qld?
They went back to that logo too- it used to be more of a front-facing prowling Panther

Redcliffe’s predominantly all black jerseys with red numbers against Wynnum Manly weren’t the best. Very hard to see at night.

I know it was for a certain cause but stick to our colours boys.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Redcliffe’s predominantly all black jerseys with red numbers against Wynnum Manly weren’t the best. Very hard to see at night.

I know it was for a certain cause but stick to our colours boys.
Great to hear from you Matty.

Back to the familiar pattern - Redcliffe beating Wynnum at Dolphin. Must have been cold there.