What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Maddragon99

Juniors
Bulldogs at risk of losing boom forward as three rival clubs circle

darcie_mcdonald.jpg

Darcie McDonald from Fox Sports
@darciemcdonald
May 15th, 2021 8:27 am
The Bulldogs are at risk of losing one of their most impressive forwards as a number of clubs circle former junior Kiwi, Renouf Atoni.

The 25-year-old is off-contract and Foxsports.com.au understands the Sharks, Dragons and Cowboys have all registered interest in the barnstorming forward.

Atoni made his NRL debut for the Bulldogs in 2018 after coming up through the lower grades at the club.

As a hard-running, ball-playing forward, Atoni has played one game this season at lock and one as a starting prop. For the rest, he’s provided the punch in Canterbury’s go-forward off the bench.

In the two games he has started this year, Atoni has certainly delivered. In Round 4, he ran for 118 metres, made one tacklebust and one offload, while in Round 5, he ran for 105 metres, made three tacklebusts, two offloads and one linebreak, as well as making 33 tackles — a game high for the Bulldogs.

His numbers off the bench are equally impressive. Atoni played 48 minutes in the Bulldogs’ win over the Sharks and notched up 101 run metres, one tacklebust and 27 tackles — zero missed. The following week he played 43 minutes off the bench against the Eels and recorded an impressive 148 run metres, three tacklebusts, one offload and 29 tackles.

And it seems he’s just hitting his straps. Atoni backed up those performances with another big one. He was the Dogs’ biggest metre-eater against the Dragons with 147, he also made four tacklebusts and 30 tackles.

The Sharks are looking to rebuild their roster under incoming coach Craig Ftizgibbon. Toby Rudolf has been linked to a move to the Bulldogs, which if he does, Atoni seems like the suitable workhorse replacement.

Meanwhile, the Dragons lose Cameron McInnes next season and Jack de Belin’s future is at this stage, still up in the air. Josh McGuire and Tyrell Fuimaono have been sharing the lock forward role, while Paul Vaughan and Blake Lawrie, are the current first choice props. But coach Anthony Griffin is an oldschool coach that has a real appreciation for players that roll up their sleeves and do the tough stuff — something Atoni could offer.

As for the Cowboys, Jason Taumalolo has a mortgage on the No.13 jersey but with Francis Molo heading to the Dragons next season, coach Todd Payten is on the hunt for a gun forward.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...7e9dcbed0ba4cc62abe15a0a6e?recommendedCount=0

P.S thanks @_Johnsy
I highly rate Atoni he’s been a standout in a very bad team. I’d definitely prefer Atoni to Toby Rudolf.

Atoni would be a significant upgrade on Kerr if Hook wanted to start him in the 2nd row.

RedVDragon

Juniors
Do you blame him why would he want to play for a waterboy like Barrett. Just be careful of the other waterboy in Fitzy both come from Illawarra origins an have a losing culture imbedded in them.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Do you blame him why would he want to play for a waterboy like Barrett. Just be careful of the other waterboy in Fitzy both come from Illawarra origins an have a losing culture imbedded in them.
A lot of hype & expectation around Fitzgibbon but he could easily turn out to be a bust. Adam Reynolds obviously wasn’t too impressed with him or the set up at Cronulla.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
A lot of hype & expectation around Fitzgibbon but he could easily turn out to be a bust. Adam Reynolds obviously wasn’t too impressed with him or the set up at Cronulla.

It all starts and ends with the front office M - Fitzgibbon never had a chance with those turkeys running Cronulla. SGI Board turkeys have been responsible for keeping what should be a powerful and successful team unsuccessful by appointing and then incredibly extending one of the most incompetent coaches in living memory.

It all reminds me of the old joke- how do you start a small business- start a large business ( at Cronulla FC).

Slippery Morris

First Grade
With Fitzy I think the writing was on the wall that it has not gone to plan when Ciraldo backed out last minute. I think Sharks and Fitzy were banking on both to be at the Sharks as Ciraldo has played a big part in the Panthers. Been there for ages. Then the way they sacked Morris and the players reaction was bad as you can see they are not the same losing every game since. Townsend moving to Cowboys another nail in the coffin. Scumulla will overtake the craziness Tigers and Bronco's have had to endure in the past years with their board as they seem to have imploded.

In saying that, they will be Saints on Friday with another bad decision like the last few games. Bird No try, Dufty non-grounding etc. This game in particular Saints seem to cop the raw deal.

Unsainty79

Juniors
I'm a big fan of Mbye. Granted, it has been a long time since he demolished us when he was playing for the Dogs, but it is clear to see he has a lot of talent. He hasn't done much for the Tigers, but who has? He's played fullback, centre, five-eight, halfback, hooker & lock. Thought he looked great for the Tigers as a running 6. He would probably put some pressure on Norman once some of the side returns.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Mbye wouldn't be a bad pick up with the Dogs paying half freight.

Can play a number of positions, but bench utility is the main one.
This points to me that Macca is struggling for 80 mins at hooker.

Funny enough Mbye probably cost himself the immediate switch with his game last weekend for the Tigers.

RedVDave

First Grade
Mbye is solid in all outside back positions a superstar by no means but solid and a better goalkicker than Norman with the amount of injuries we have this is perfect for us .... assuming it happens.

Edit: if it does happen it won't be until after we play the Tigpies in 2 weeks IMO.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

Funny enough Mbye probably cost himself the immediate switch with his game last weekend for the Tigers.
It helps that we are basically saying come now or not at all. Which says to me we are saying we need someone right now and if not him we will need to look elsewhere and probably need to give whoever a couple of years. Surely Moses will push his manager to release him. They have dicked him around for ages and tried to offload him his management will try to make it happen.

Tiger Shark

Bench

He was more than impressed, he agreed to terms but backed out when Broncos massive TPAs came knocking plus a post footy coaching gig. Can't compete against that.

Could have gotten if we wanted to pay overs or give him a 4 year deal but he's not worth either.

Tiger Shark

Bench
With Fitzy I think the writing was on the wall that it has not gone to plan when Ciraldo backed out last minute. I think Sharks and Fitzy were banking on both to be at the Sharks as Ciraldo has played a big part in the Panthers. Been there for ages. Then the way they sacked Morris and the players reaction was bad as you can see they are not the same losing every game since. Townsend moving to Cowboys another nail in the coffin. Scumulla will overtake the craziness Tigers and Bronco's have had to endure in the past years with their board as they seem to have imploded.

In saying that, they will be Saints on Friday with another bad decision like the last few games. Bird No try, Dufty non-grounding etc. This game in particular Saints seem to cop the raw deal.

Don't rule out Ciraldo still coming to the Sharks. Especially if Panthers win it this year.

BLM01

First Grade

Agree but I’ve seen him play his best football for Canterbury in the halves and I believe that’s is his best position
Proved that for the Tigers last week
Tigers have played him in just about every other position except that when they had Benji Reynolds and Brooks

Latest posts