What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New rule

possm

Coach
We've been here before. Crackdown on high shots come and go.

Remember Andrew Walker on debut for us in 1992. High tackle, sent off, 4 weeks. He was just a kid at the time. The judiciary made an example of him so they could be seen to be doing their job.

Is this current stuff any different?
Rather than the refs concentrate on the 6 again rule, they should be calling held much quicker - forget about post contract metres.

Also, what about having a maximum of 2 players in a tackle; one low and one cnest high. Forget about attacking the head, neck and sholders.

Bloodbath

Juniors
All the people who said V’landys was the greatest thing since sliced bread must be shaking there heads now .both rules this idiot has brought in are making this game unbearable to watch.he ruined harness racing in nsw.and is in the process of doing the same to league and racing .

Red V for life

Juniors
If there’s one rule that should be brought in, it is reward for your legs tackles. Given legs tackles end up with attackers landing on their gut, they are quick to get up and the defence is disadvantaged.

There was one yesterday in the Dogs/Raiders game yesterday. Beautiful grass cutting tackle. The Dogs player held on for literally a second while the Raiders player was doing his best humping the ground routine and the Dogs got pinned.

thebigredv

First Grade
If I'm Todd Payten I'm fuming after last night. It's making a mockery of the game. The tackle on a falling Tedesco was IMPOSSIBLE to avoid. He runs like that all the time (ask Jordan Pereira) and with great intensity, so effectively the league is getting teams to change everything in their defensive style to save Tedesco from himself. On the back of the 6 again rule it's really unfair to players and as a side effect makes the strong teams with the star studded backlines stronger. It cost Cowboys a real shot at winning last night but no one will care because it's the Roosters but when their coach is upset it's front page news for two days.

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
If I'm Todd Payten I'm fuming after last night. It's making a mockery of the game. The tackle on a falling Tedesco was IMPOSSIBLE to avoid. He runs like that all the time (ask Jordan Pereira) and with great intensity, so effectively the league is getting teams to change everything in their defensive style to save Tedesco from himself. On the back of the 6 again rule it's really unfair to players and as a side effect makes the strong teams with the star studded backlines stronger. It cost Cowboys a real shot at winning last night but no one will care because it's the Roosters but when their coach is upset it's front page news for two days.
I turned the game off at that point last night. I could cop a penalty for accidental contact with the head but a sin-binning in that instance was jut ludicrous.

The good news though is that, much like the 2018 play-the-ball crackdown (when the Dragons were just 2480 minutes from the GF) - this crackdown will be conveniently and quietly shelved the moment it begins to jeopardise our September favourites.

TruSaint

Referee

You raise a good point here.

It was the outrage at JP tackle, and the Parra hits on Tedesco that triggered the NRL.

Its nigh impossible to totally avoid contact with the head at some point in a game. All for players safety, but common sense must prevail.

thebigredv

First Grade
You raise a good point here.

It was the outrage at JP tackle, and the Parra hits on Tedesco that triggered the NRL.

Its nigh impossible to totally avoid contact with the head at some point in a game. All for players safety, but common sense must prevail.

We've been made the example for some rule changes in the past (see frizell's brush on the refs shoulder/ Craig Smith knees/ McInnes passing the ball into the defender) and were made to feel like whingers by the lack of support in media circles.

What should happen now is there should be an outcry of support for Burr who spent a crucial ten minutes in the bin followed by a rule that ensures this never happens again but there won't be. Thats because there are double standards within the game run by the two buddies VLandys and Politis.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Maybe allow 1 on 1 tacklers to be allowed to hold on longer than if there are 2 or more. If you see 2 or more you call held as soon as you see the player is stopped (even when they are standing) when other than 1 player joins the tackle? If it is 1 on 1 you let the tackle go on a bit more till the player literally hits the ground.

dragons girl

Juniors
This rule about contact with the head is a joke.
This is not rugby league.
It's getting softer by every game.
Most of the sin bins wouldn't have bruised a tomato.
It will.turn fans turn off
games
I don't want to watch touch football.
Players are deliberately grabbing their heads for a slap staying down for a penalty should bring in the sook rule

dragons girl

Juniors
Rort
You can put this down to the Roosters having a big whinge last week . Both Robinson and Tedesco coming out and saying that the refs must come down hard on foul play .

He may had copped a fine for his spray , but guess what the refs are now clamping down . The big question is will this also apply to the competition heavyweights , or once again will the clampdown only apply to the strugglers as is normally the case .
Rorters r a joke tedesco falls into tackles no wonder he gets hit

boardlumps62

Juniors
The six again is hard enough then lose a player might as well go back in shed and have a shower. Storm play did a similar high shot to Maguire and no bin what the f#$$&K.
Lost its appeal blatant head shots send off Fyi I need to review think it was a heavy tackle IMO

Illusion

Bench
Good point by Griffin in presser, do you think NRL will be happy with this mode of reffing in a state of origin series?? If a team goes down to 11 or 12 players for the bulk of the time it will kill the series. Bet you they don't let it happen...but its okay if its just the Cowboys or Dragons.
Yep heard that but didnt like what he said about one of his half's That they were outstanding ... Please Norman .....

Dragon David

First Grade
Aren't the new rules supposed to make the game quicker and entertaining. No bloody way they have. The new rules have turned me well and truly off the game. The game between us and the Storm went for nearly 2 hours because of penalties, injuries, challenges etc. etc. what a bore.

If your team is unlucky and several of your players are sin binned or sent off, well that is the ball game. We did not stand a chance once Fui was sent off and we had sin bins as well. Lucky for us that they had their players out and Paps came off injured otherwise cricket score.

Now we have have to wait to see what the suspensions will be and how long Dufty will be out for and we play the Sharks next Friday so a short turnaround.

thebigredv

First Grade
Can some one with more knowledge than me compare the Tupouniua high tackle to the Fui one.

Just making sure I have not got my red and white glasses on but Tupouniua's seemed far worse to me. The Rooster got the bin and will escape suspension. Tyrell's ended with a player on a stretcher (who miraculously recovered) but that player was dropping and there was no swinging arm. I would describe it as innocuous. The ref was sold on the performance. Sent off.

rasaint

Juniors
Yes dragon tragics I posted last night the game of rugby league would become the high shot lottery. Watching a few other replays there was definitely a few ‘sin bins’ that escaped the new Inquisition and now we are fast heading to games that resemble under 9 oz tag. Who wants to pay to watch their team with 11 or 12 players. If I want to watch this rubbish I’ll rather go down the local park and catch a fair dinkum oztag or touch game.

I thought Fui’s tackle was an attempt to cut off Paps pass and ended up hitting his neck hard.One of those things which would have been on report, not a send off.

Watching a few replays there was definitely some ‘new’ sin bins that seemed to escape the inquisition and good luck to them I suppose. Teddy again dropping into tackles. I thought Jordan P was a bit unlucky with his hit on Teddy who dropped and caused his tackle to go from shoulder high to head high.

Anyway, Griffin made some comments tonight about going forward with the current inquisition. Even Bellamy didn’t want to say to much about Fui send off, knowing this situation will ruin the season and the game.