What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats the news with the proposed Confederations Cup / Four Nations replacement tournament?

England87

Juniors
I really hope this secondary IRL competition gets off the ground. A World Cup every four years is not enough to develop the international game and to encourage players to stick to their preferred country outside of World Cups and low-interest qualifying tournaments.

I like the idea of a tournament held every fourth year that alternates between hemispheres as hosts with the hosting tier 2 nations guaranteed at least one top-level match at 'home'.

A short and sharp 8 team tournament (2 pools of 4, semi's & final) for shits and giggles below is an example based on 2017 WC results.

A
Australia (WC Winners)
Tonga (WC Semi-Finalist)
Samoa (Oceania #2
France (Euro #1)

B
England (WC Runner up)
Fiji (WC Semi-Finalist)
New Zealand (Oceania #1)
Ireland (Euro #2)

Venues for eg

Brisbane (50k)
Parramatta (30k)
Townsville (25k)
Newcastle (30k)

Auckland (30k)
Hamilton (25k)

Suva (15k)
Apia (10k)
Nuku'alofa (10k)

I know the cons are it is basically a mini world cup but surely there are many pros and it essentially replaces the old four nations and would take only an extra week than the old tournament.

The carrot of 2 serious top-tier Cups for any international team to qualify for is much better than the usual lul in the WC cycle where some nations play barely one meaningful test a year.

welshmagpie

Juniors
4Nations (World Cup SF’s)
Federation Shield (World Cup QF’s)

Year after a World Cup and the Year before (promotion and relegation between both)

Coastbloke

Bench
There will be no IRL. 2021 will be the death knell of the International game. IF the RLWC goes ahead, it will be the only Tests apart from one of those 'make believe' Internationals at a non descript Western Sydney oval.

The APRL has already caved to the all conquering NRL and announced there will be no Oceania Cup matches mid year nor end of year. IRL has died under a Vlandy's anti International vendetta. The NRL is content with their Big 4 (3 x SOO and a GF)

Meanwhile cricket has it's Internationals as does Netball. France is coming to Australia to play the Wallabies. The Bledisloe will be played. The Rugby Championship will be played.

Rugby League has a opportunity to do something the AFL can't and that's create and nurture International competition. Unfortunately the ruling body of the International game (No, I'm talking about the IRL, not the NRL) is to gutless and seemingly powerless to stand up the NRL. Sad but true..

R.I.P. International Rugby League. You will be sorely missed..